1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You don't pay the max to a shooting guard who can't shoot.

The reason he looked so good during the fluke 10 game stretch was that he was shooting something like 45% from 3....but he's always been more of a 33% shooter.

Unless he can get a LOT better at hitting the 3, he won't ever be a max player.

Y2JT likes this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Its bad when you order sweet and sour pork and 70% of the time you don't get the sweet part.

Bobbythegreat and MystikArkitect like this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

On the loyalty thing I don't expect Green's camp to yield per se, but I do expect Stone to stand up for the org when negotiation times come. Based on some past optionality contracts, it appears to be one of his strengths. As far as the market and the heavier rigid cap rules, there's more of an emphasis for other GMs to not overpay players. This trend could help Stone if he takes Green to RFA.

RFA sometimes make the situation uncomfortable, but with what's at stake might be the best option.

#123 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    Mathloom likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Can we at least acknowledge that a 6-15 shooting game for Jalen in past seasons and even in the first half of this season is a completely different than a 6-15 shooting game today for him?

Being constantly doubled, throwing dimes especially in the 4th and OT where he was consistently finding guys like Brooks and Bari while also playing high level defense.

He looks in control of the ball and pace now when he's a ball handler. And that is an amazing improvement.

He still needs to figure out how to still be aggressive when he faces blitzes and traps. I thought Fred had the ball too much in the 4th where Green could have more practice trying to take over games. But it's obvious that he was still the best player on the team in the sense of how the opposing team guards the Rockets.

jim1961, JHarden713 and Monkeychef02 like this.
  5. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Should be head of the snake and if he’s struggling then let him hit RFA

6. fchowd0311

This is the most reasonable approach. If he earned his max and another team offers it, the Rockets will match. It's that simple.

7. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

It would be really incredible if they pull it off. Like the Warriors when they lucked into locking Curry into a cheap contract (like 4 years $50m IIRC). Plus they had drafted their own core so they could maneuver above the cap like Olympic swimmers and were able to snag Durant. That's the kind of financial planning/luck that increases your chance of building a dynasty. I have always had an inkling that Stone is following that model.

I've been against extending Green this summer but if we can secure both Sengun and Green at $30m/season I do it immediately. At that price even if one of them doesn't improve, it's still a reasonably tradable contract. I'm assuming their max is $40m and they're giving us a $10m/season discount.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Speaking of sweet and sour things, are you still of the belief that Jalen Green would not even be our 6th man scorer if he were on the bench? Hahaha

We haven't forgotten that you started that thread bemoaning how many things Green had to improve just to become our 6th man. Turns out it was just shot selection (sweet) and you were being a drama queen (sour).

It will be amusing to watch you keep defending your drifting stance while practically every fan and media member cheers the arrival of a star on your favorite team.

#128 Mathloom, Apr 8, 2024
    Dobbizzle and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. fchowd0311

Green beat any "he's a future 6th man" allegations by now being an impact player even when his jumper isn't falling. That's usually why guys are 6th men microwave scores. Because if their shot ain't falling they are useless.

Green has evolved past that now. I think the biggest thing that happened for Green this season is that his floor has gone up tremendously more so than his ceiling.

10. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

I feel better about him than i did...

I'm not ready to bundle him up and ship him out for a bag of peanuts anymore...

I'd listen to offers...

If he was the linchpin on a superstar deal - i'd certainly entertain the offer....

at the end of the day - i'd take even money...

the guy has shown flashes - but no consistency....

could be a future MVP... could be fools gold...

i'd call it 40/60... so id be open to dealing him - but only for the right deal.

11. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I honestly don't think other teams are as high on Green as we are. obviously the improvements are there, but if he doesn't come out shooting 3 at an average percentage after this off season hes not getting a huge contract anywhere

12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Has predictably come back to earth after a great month long stretch. The people acting like that was the new normal for him were, of course, foolish, but I do feel better about him at least now vs. 3 months ago when he was one of the league's most damaging players.

Extend him at a solid number if you can get it, otherwise let him hit RFA. Pretty simple.

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I never really considered Westbrook an MVP although he was a borderline great player who just knew how to stat pad his way to an MVP......and was relentless at attacking the rim.

Those players that rely heavily on athleticism, speed and dynamic tendencies, they tend to become different once they lose their athleticism.

Jalen has 2 abilities now that are elite - his quick first step and now his ability to go supernova but then cool off for 2 Quarters entirely........which was also the reason Udoka had to bench him because he saw better production from others when Jalen cooled off.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

Trade him in the offseason. Get Jalen Green off my GD Rockets, please.

That fools gold run he had probably raised his trade value , so we should trade him for value while we can.

I'm so tired of his inconsistency and having a shooting guard who can't frigging shoot.

Trade. Him.

15. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

I like pretty close to everything you said, but I’d argue with the end part.

Any trade including Jalen right now would be a risky outcome for the reasons you’ve stated. No one would offer a young sure thing like Anthony Edwards. It would be for a player who is young and also isn’t fully bloomed or it’ll be for a star that’s beyond their prime and our promising future won’t be a championship level
    charge and if it is, it won’t last long.

I’d rather hold onto Jalen hoping Cam pushes him out of the starting lineup rather than prematurely trade a riser. Who knows what happens but the best value we can get for him is on our roster.

(Edit: I’m trying to imagine a scenario where something like Jalen plus our Nets pick yields us a more consistent player that isn’t over 26. I think it’s possible but probably unlikely. So maybe I’m more onboard with what you’re saying than I first thought.)

#135 don grahamleone, Apr 8, 2024
    kjayp likes this.
  16. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

He showed clear improvement this year over last year, but not the 3rd year "leap" some of us were hoping. Sizable increases in VORP, BPM and win shares is nice to see.

I would potentially extend him on a team friendly deal but ideally would just wait until he hits RFA and see what he gets on open market. His biggest weakness at this point seems to be 3pt shooting, I really hope he works on that a lot in the offseason.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I don't know about yall but I see a star that will bring media exposure to the Rockets in the near future.. which means Tilman can now have elite halftime shows

18. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

If he focused more on his midrange when his 3 is not falling, he'd be better off. His mid has been nice.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. fchowd0311

Ya I get frustrated when he gets a rare chance to go in an island ona defender and decides to step back for a three. He needs to convert a lot of those threes to middies.

20. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

This is like your idiotic "define playoffs" take. An MVP is an MVP, what you consider doesn't matter the tiniest bit, ever, at all.