1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

"Wemby is Coming."

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by razorback88s, Jun 7, 2023.

1. MystikArkitect

I love our team man but....he's kinda not wrong. Wemby looks every bit the player he was touted to be and we're kind of an island of misfit toys. Sengun is undersized, Jabari can't dribble, Jalen functions one month out of the year, Amen can't shoot, Tari works only in chaos and Cam Whitmore is about two years away from understanding fundamental basketball.

Jabari, Sengun, Jalen, Amen and Cam all have potential Top 10 player in the league in them. They really do. But it'd be unwise to bet on any of them becoming that. You could slam that on Wemby today and be right.

MorningZippo, xaos and Os Trigonum like this.
  2. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

I couldn’t care less how many ringzzz he gets, has no impact on how good of a player someone is. I’m talking about my evaluation, not general consensus. I completely agree he will never get the credit he deserves, just look at the crap you see on this forum about him

3. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

mavs have luka, spurs have wemby, pelicans got zion, memphis has ja, and we have ....?

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  4. xaos

xaos Member

I'd take what we have over Zion pretty easily if we're talking about building a contender. Zion isn't going to have a long healthy dominant career.

That being said Wemby does scare me the most out of everyone in the entire NBA (relative to when we start competing for a ring)

5. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

You say that like luka, wemby, zion and ja are on the same tier. Luka is currently by far at the top level among those 4. Wemby is the future, but Zion and Ja are not yet proven.

roslolian likes this.
  6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Sengun went 30-0 against him in the second half just a few weeks ago, and yet, you proclaim he is 10x better than anyone on the Rockets. Makes zero sense.

roslolian and cml750 like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Sengun.

roslolian and cml750 like this.
  8. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Bring it. Our coaches know each other inside out and we have 6-7 young guys who will take a step forward next season.

Sengun will figure him out, just like he did to Chet. Once Sengun’s 3PT shot comes online, I don’t think he can guard Sengun.

With Wemby there is no choice but to go 5-out. On the other side, he doesn’t love contact and loses balance easily - so you gotta push him outward which anyone can do. You force him to put it on the floor and his handle is a disaster but he thinks it’s really good. There are ways and coaches will find mental weaknesses too as the scouting reports get deeper.

BelgianRocketsFan likes this.
  9. cml750

cml750 Member

Did you forget Sengun embarrassed him down low in the post?

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Do u not see the difference between saying someone has 10x the potential and saying someone is currently 10x better?

basing who’s better than who based off a head-to-head matchup is silly

Joel Embiid has obliterated Jokic in the last couple matchups, he must be the better player

11. Mathloom

Supporting Member

I didn't but I think he will be able to do that consistently every game instead of spurts. I don't think they can guard each other so I'll take the certainty of Sengun's post game vs Wemby's shaky handle/jumper.

Against an experienced Udoka defense, Wemby will get stripped regularly.

cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

Why would sengun’s 3 pt shot come online? For 3 years now he has not been able to shoot 3s or even free throws. How often do guys who can’t shoot free throws become good 3 pt shooters?

harold bingo likes this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

But Wemby has been touted as the heir to Bron, so if you think the refs controlling games are bad

Just imagine you being Wemby and you got Silver in your back pocket who already set you up with your french/international connection with Spurs brand

The Rockets trio is going to have to really prove it, Wemby just has to put up numbers and the NBA and its media network associates will promote it as the best thing since slice bread

Its kind of like the feeling when Bron came in 03' and Jordan was on his way out

Watch Wemby be in the Finals by year 4/5, like they did Bron, probably at the expense of the Rockets, who should also be Legit contenders during that run if all goes well

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Potential schmotential.

roslolian likes this.
  15. MystikArkitect

NBA knows where their bread is buttered. It's been like this since Magic/Bird, then Jordan then Lebron. It's a star driven league and Wemby is the next heir to that throne. The also need a steady conduit into Europe. The NBA is a global game and brand now and the Rockets aren't too far behind with Sengun (Turkey) and Jalen Green (Phillipines). But ultimately yes...Wemby is the golden child. He will be given precedence over Luka, Sabonis, Sengun, Giannis and Jokic. They just don't have that same cachet.

16. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I get that but they have been all stars(outside of wemby) and regarded as top players and all got drafted in the first 3 picks which sucks because we didn't get anyone when we had top 3 picks

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  17. Mathloom

Supporting Member

Are we going to do this again? After you said early there's no reason Brooks might cut down his 3PA and raise his 3PT%? After you insinuated that there not being stats to support it means nothing else can make it happen? That was you right?

Stats cannot tell you that improvement will certainly take place. So your conclusion is already flawed.

Now let's tear down your argument anyway. Sengun only spent a small part of 1 summer working on his 3PT shot. Why would he have improved? No one improved at anything before Udoka. If the coach and player have both mentioned that it's going to be a major focus this summer and our staff comes from an organization excellent at developing shooting, why would he not improve? Because you're just making up a theory that youngsters who hit 70% of their FT's are hopeless shooters?

Kyle Kuzma and Rasheed Wallace are two examples that show you're making this up. Wallace shot 60 something % on FT's his first few years and was a low 20-30% from 3. These are not the only two examples there are tons more.

Now prove to us your claim that there's no reason it would happen.

#77 Mathloom, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
    roslolian likes this.
  18. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

19 more wins than Wendy and the Spurs.

roslolian and AroundTheWorld like this.
  19. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

In Lukas pretty amazing rookie year he finished 22nd in BPM and 23rd in VORP.
    Wemby is currently 11th in BPM and 16th in VORP.

If he stays healthy he’s going to be just as much if not more of a problem as Luka. Wemby playing on a god awful team going out of their way to be as awful as they can is hiding how great he’s been when he’s been on the court.

20. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I don't care about the guy in San Antonio.

We have our guy.

And our guy crushed that guy.

cml750 and Patience like this.