1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have finally lost FAITH in Jalen, we need to trade him.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by CHAMPBOY, Apr 6, 2024.

?

Should we trade Jalen this summer?

1. Yes! Trade Jalen and pick for Mikal Bridges

13 vote(s)
    12.3%
  2. No! Keep the team intact and Jalen will play better.

46 vote(s)
    43.4%
  3. Trade Jalen but for another STAR

47 vote(s)
    44.3%
  1. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

This is true. People started creating myths like “3rd year leap” and lump all players’ development and growth time horizons together. Demand demand demand and comparing to other players meanwhile forgetting or ignorant to the fact that it took many years for most players and teams to hone their skills and chemistry to become elite.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Also comparing player progression with players with complete different roles.

I've had absurd arguments with people here arguing that KJ Martin is developing better than Jalen because his ts% is higher. These people don't understand basic concepts like roles.

Stephen_A likes this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I would not mind a Ron Artest the Avatar you have on this team.

Stephen_A likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Oh you mean those pure statistics or metrics guys? It’s a common mistake to purely look at stats or much worse—metrics without context and qualitative information and direct observation of the phenomenon on the court. That’s why you don’t see many of these people talk x’s and o’s. Instead much of what they talk about is normalized metrics. Not even stats but just metrics.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  5. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

dont forget different positions. “Cam is a 2 guard” smh despite the fact the man can’t play high screen and roll and never passes lol

fchowd0311 likes this.
  6. fchowd0311

Cam is this year's more talented version of KJ Martin and lo and behold you have people saying he's better than Green because they stare at a ts%.

Stephen_A likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

its interesting on the broadcast today they talked about Cam reminding udoka of Jaylen brown. Brown didn’t pass well either his first 3-4 years. And didn’t really resemble a star until year 4. This should tell people something about development. We hope cam is similar in this sense

fchowd0311 likes this.
  8. fchowd0311

Ya Jaylen Brown is what I consider Cam's ceiling to be.

Nook likes this.
  9. cmlmel77

cmlmel77 Up all Night Watching Houston Sports

Cam is the shiny new toy, and he shoots 3s well. That is a recipe for certain people to obsessively hype him and make wild superlatives … because they fundamentally have no idea how defense or team offense works in the NBA. So, “shooting guard must shoot” is the height of their “insight.”

Don’t get me wrong - Cam is a fun and interesting prospect. But if you don’t see why he is far from being a starter on a good team, you don’t understand basketball.

Bo6 and fchowd0311 like this.
  10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cam has a role and a niche in this league without even thinking about it.....that is the 6th Man while Jalen does not even consider coming off the bench.....compared to a titan firm meal ticket in the NBA at age 19.

That is the main difference .......Roles in the NBA are important and people know where you stand with the team.....you can always outgrow your role for sure.

Yep, sure, the fans get high with their superlatives but that is still based on having a secure role on the team.

11. fchowd0311

Wut do you type?

Are you on LSD when you type?

12. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not trading Jalen unless I get an all star before their prime back. Or top 30 player at least, since that's what I think Jalen's ceiling is ATM.

jcmoon likes this.
  13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

So, to the OP's proposition, I would gladly trade Jalen Green if a decent trade package was available...but I don't see him having that kind of trade value.

His fluke 10 game stretch is enough for me to give him half of next season to try and show he's more than a bench quality guy overall. If he's not, it's time for the team to move on....meaning either move on from him entirely, or maybe see what he can do in a bench role so he's not holding others back.

14. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

10 game “fluke?”
    IMG_3322.jpeg

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

Yes, 10 game fluke.

The funny thing about a super hot 10 game sample is that it can make a larger sample look better than it was.

Though looking back, it was really only 8 consecutive amazing games with another one separated by 2 games....so 9 in 11 games.

During the streak of 8 games he was shooting 47.7% from 3 on 11 attempts per game....that's just out of this world amazing and led to 33.8 points per game with a 66% TS%. Literally MVP level play....for 8 games.

Since then, he's shooting 22.5% from 3 on 8 attempts per game leading to his scoring falling to 18.6 points per game at a pathetic 50.5% TS%

Sure you could average all of that together to hide the garbage play since the streak ended and make the streak look less amazing than it really was....but you'd be pushing a false narrative by doing so.

16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

You could literally do that with any player. Every player has hot and cold streaks. Jalen has not played as well recently, but he’s scored 20+ points in 3 out of the last 5 games, and did so while teams focuses squarely on him. That’s why his assist numbers have gone up substantially, and they should be higher.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  17. fchowd0311

Chris Finch, Steve Kerr and Jason Kidd don't think Green is a fluke.

But Bobby has more cred than those guys so who knows?

jcmoon and Nook like this.
  18. Nook

Nook Member

There is definitely a gap between Green and Sengun and Amen Thompson in the half set. Amen is a very poor perimeter shooter and that really limits what he can do at this point.

However from an upside standpoint, Thompson by far has the highest upside on the team. He is not only the best defender on the Rockets, he is a top 3 defender in the NBA for non-centers. He has a real possibility of being the best non-post defensive player in the league for years. He also has really good strength and size, a 7'0" wingspan - he is a top 5 athlete in the league (maybe even better than that), he finishes very well at the basket and has natural court vision and an improving handle.

It is all dependent on him learning to shoot - but the upside is extremely high, and above Green or Sengun. Now - there is more risk, because he is not as far along as Sengun or Green.

19. fchowd0311

Eh I get the standout measurements of Amen but even when we compare rookie Green to rookie Amen, Green was just a flat out more coordinated athlete. I think you are ignoring some nuances with Green vs Amen because you are just looking at the frame, the narrative of extreme high IQ etc. Rather than seeing how much more balanced Green is with the ball even as a 19 year old compared to Amen. Green will always be a more skilled player because it comes more naturally to him.

Think of Green as someone who can pick up a new dance move with complex foot work more quickly than Amen because of things like feet coordination.

I agree with you that Amen has by far the highest defensive ceiling of the core and by a wide margin also.

Nook likes this.
  20. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Then you are not trading Jalen.