1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, where's everyone at with Jalen going into next year?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Plowman, Apr 5, 2024.

1. TimDuncanDonaut

Right now Stone have one more year to get more data before committing.

There are two things the front office has to figure out. One is the identity of the team. Identity includes both offense and defense, what type of system the team wants to use in the future. Answering that question will lead to what roster you want in skill sets.

Number two is the tolerance (max amount of a money) willing to offer in the first extension. How much and how long. Knowing this value will dictate with the agent on the negotiation table and in any trade scenarios.

The challenge for Stone is balancing projection vs production. From a labor compensation standpoint I think the org wants to reward Rockets players who meet their expectations. That goes for Jalen and any of the other young core.

The problem is
    1. Growth, as we know, is not linear. We've seen this in this third year.

2. Consistency and still lack of data. Good stretch of games, but 10-12 good games in a 82 game season is like 12%. If the extension is based on projection that he'd hit his high ceiling, you want lot more good games than bad. Reeko's basketball troll term is apt and is what's making the fan base nervous if the extension skews towards projection than actual consistent production.

3. Resource is finite. Whatever money you have, if all are spent on two young guys, then might not have enough to field the rest.

The point about Jalen and getting doubled and team right now has little answer. If the answer is not found yet, you want more money left in the pot to keep the other young core should they also ascend or buy/trade outside players who can counter.
    Today's NBA players are afforded the best trainers, nutritionists, doctors, film analysts, and coaches. A support staff that players in the 90's and 00's, and the current WNBA would be envious of. At the end of day it's on the players to show they've improved and more consistent.

Players should be grateful of the human investment the org is making to them. And in Jalen's case: minutes allotted even when he was playing bad and taking these (super contested) bad shots. I usually forgive those in the name of wait-and-see and he's still on his rookie deal.

The player/agent should avoid being too greedy. Ask for too much and keeps the team from fielding a competitive roster. Unless a player is showing an Ant/Booker/Tatum type of potential, they should not strong arm the org. There are levels to this.

#101 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    Bo6, Rashmon, Aruba77 and 2 others like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

i extend him now because we have a leverage to sign him to a worse deal than when he balls out as a superstar

jcmoon and Carpe82 like this.
  3. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh... if he balls out as a superstar next season then he gets the contract he deserves and the organization will feel comfortable giving him the supermax.

It makes things more certain if you wait. Once there is certainty, then the organization has a a clear direction

Nook and don grahamleone like this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

yeah but you take risks when you can. and that leaves some money for other young stars. tbh i think Jabari is the first one getting traded his trajectory dont line up with other youngins. is this really that big of a drop playing tari instead? idk. and you can pack bari + fred/brooks for a really good package

5. fchowd0311

I think the proper risk here is having another team max him out in rfa. I rather that be the risk. He's a rfa after next season so there isn't risk of losing him if we want to keep him as a long term core guy. Because if he deserves it, Rockets will match it.

Rockets have high level of control over Green's future.

don grahamleone likes this.
  6. MystikArkitect

Jalen is a 5 star restaurant that gives you a 5 star experience one month out of the year. We all have a favorite restaurant not because it's the greatest restaurant in the world. Because it's consistent and delivers a consistently good experience.

I am not comfortable at all going into next year depending on Jalen Green.

7. a time to chill

We already know the Rockets tried to trade him so I think in any trade negotiations this offseason for a star, Jalen Green's name is coming up first in the trade proposal. Rockets aren't about to pay Green a max contract given his current level of production.

#107 a time to chill, Apr 7, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 7, 2024
    AroundTheWorld and Aruba77 like this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This site is so impatient. If we didn't have so many injuries we'd be in the play-in for sure. When you can't keep your team on the court, it's hard to develop the chemistry that veteran teams have. Stay the course with everybody. There's no reason to commit money to anyone right now. Just keep riding with our crew. Maybe trade the Nets pick for a player to improve but if it's not the right guy, find a player in the draft and keep riding.

We're trending upward, Jalen included. Trade him before he peaks? That's flat out stupid. If we have to trade him, you want him to peak first. Consistency is important to everyone in the league and he's not that yet. Until then, he hasn't peaked yet we're trending upward as a team, even with the injuries. So maybe don't jump off the mountain until you summit.

Bo6, Rashmon, rocketchamp and 3 others like this.
  9. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Donovan Mitchell is not going to resign with the Cavs...they're going to lose in the 1st round of the playoffs

10. invocux

invocux Member

11. invocux

invocux Member

He is our RJ Barrett unfortunately. He'll continue to fool these people until the day they decide to wake up. It's really sad.

Arda likes this.
  12. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I think they are mass brainwashed into thinking they have something invested in him while his fans are really meaning nothing to him......

While he is not a punk like KPJ he belongs to the generation that does not care about what people think and if they really like him.

He is only after Clout like Roosh. And piles of Benjamins for his lifestyle and NFTs. (flashed money on IG)

#112 daywalker02, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  13. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

There is absolutely NO way that I extend him this offseason unless its at the veterans minimum and he's not going for that ....

The next offseason is when I have to make the decision and as it stands today, I would NOT offer him anything close to the max, I'd let him hit RFA and if someone offers him more than I'm comfortable with at that time, I'd let him go or try to work out a S&T to get some asset in return.

Hell, even if he plays relatively well on a consistent basis next season, I can't give him max money. Not after three years of inconsistency. I have to get some kind of "Prove It deal." Or again, RFA and let's see who might offer him a bigger deal.

The KPJ prove it deal was 4 years $63,440,000. That's $15,860,000 per year which works out to 11.65% of the league cap. That's a bit above MLE money .... at $18,069,150 in year one of an extension... He'd have to play fairly well to earn that contract from me at the end of next year.

Y2JT likes this.
  14. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

Sounds like u have a strong bias against the younger gen and u are projecting that onto green.

All I know is green lifestyle is his own, as long as I see improvement to his game, I'm rooting for him to blossom into a player that will make the Rockets great again.

15. fchowd0311

Why?

A 22 year old commanding double teams like that?

Why are you like that?

16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Yeah I'm the dumb one...

This is each of their 3rd seasons at the same age. Which is the only honest way to compare. Not even close. But I know that doesn't fit your VS narrative.

https://stathead.com/basketball/ver...player_id2=monkma01&p2yrfrom=2020&p2yrto=2020

This is this year. Monk WITH 4 years more experience. And oh crap you're right Monk's TS% is better. "WAY better"... 2% :eek:

https://stathead.com/basketball/ver...2024&player_id1=greenja05&player_id2=monkma01

BTW Monk shot 28% on 3's his 3rd season.

Current Career 3pt% for each.

Monk (7 seasons) .355%
    Jalen (3 seasons) .337%

Not even 2% better. But he's WAY better!!!

:rolleyes:

don grahamleone and peleincubus like this.
  17. Madmanmetz

Madmanmetz Member
    Supporting Member

Like all these young kids. More patience while they learn the mans league. Give him his 2nd season with a real head coach and see if there is more improvement.

18. PatBev

PatBev Member

I wouldn't trade him but wouldn't extend him until I see another half season of consistency. Would also like to see Cam next year before shipping him out

The 40yr old baby momma makes me question his IQ level and not really the story line I want of the face of my franchise

He did his thing the last stretch of the season so I'll give him that

fchowd0311 likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I wish things in life were this way but surely you don't believe any of this is going to happen?

Jalen Green is not going to take on both his responsibility and the responsibility of the player development staff. The responsibilities are clearly divided. They both have duties. Bottom line is both have to deliver in order for it to succeed. Neither can do without the other.

His agent will not care that time was invested in Jalen just like the team won't care that they took a hatchet to our core's development by letting Silas/Stone/KPJ run the show for two years. The agent will view it as: you invested in him to get asset value out of your 2nd pick it wasn't some noble gesture AND it was rewarded in the end. Further proof that it's just business: the GM and coach agreed to trade him and the GM came out and said he and the HC were on the same page about it. They gave up right before Jalen was going to turn the corner. There is a clear consensus in the media that the Nets were stupid to reject it i.e. the Rockets undervalued Jalen Green. Udoka/Stone did nothing wrong, but they are not heroes here. No one owes anything.

Finally no one is turning down money on their first NBA extension. They will want what the market is willing to offer. To ask Jalen and Sengun to take a cut will just make them feel like their team values them less than all other teams. Other teams will believe they can build a winner with these guys at market value. Rockets will be the only team saying we want to build a winner but cheaper than everyone else.

Again, I wish it were different and loyalty matters but GM's and owners are always the first to say "yes there's goodwill, but business is business". Players accept that and they deserve to say the same. Especially when the owner is widely regarded as a cheapskate who lost us a title by penny pinching. No one is giving that guy a discount.

Luckily I don't think it will matter, by 2025 both these guys will clearly be worth the max.

Nook and Rashmon like this.
  20. pippsux

pippsux Member

Agreed
    But again, what do we have of value that we can do a sign and trade for? For me Sengun is untouchable, don’t see Stone giving up that piece.

shakes05 likes this.