1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Rank the core 6 in order of keeper priority

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Aruba77, Apr 6, 2024.

1. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

1. Sengun
    2. Bari
    3. Jalen
    4. Amen
    5. Cam
    6. Tari

I'm prob again in the minority. I'm not actually super high on Tari - he's amazing, scrappy, great defense, always gets buckets without having any plays run for him, but I think those guys can be had. Similarly, not super high on Cam. Love his aggressive attacks and sky high confidence but don't have great team concept and discipline on defense yet (I know, I know, he's like 19). Amen is awesome but lack of shooting is actually a big deal. Sengun is a clear no doubter #1. Bari and Jalen are both great - Jalen really showed me something recently - I know his numbers are down with the double teams coming at him now but to me, he seems way more in control and for the first time, I feel like he's kind of "getting it". Bari has been very solid from day 1 and to me, he's always shown ability to improve. I think he's someone who will steadily get better and better. Third year leap next year is something I'm super excited about.

DrNuegebauer and No Worries like this.
  2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

close to mine,
    1. Alpi (glue)
    2. Cam (star)
    3. Amen (all around)
    4. Jalen (6th player)
    5. Jabari (role player)
    6. Tari (bench warmer)

3. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

Wow 50 wins is crazy jump, and I'd call you crazy but I didn't think we'd win 38+ games this year either

4. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Sengun

Thompson
    Eason

Smith
    Whitmore

Green

5. PatBev

PatBev Member

1. Amen, I think with more constant point guard play, and FVV off the team, he can be SGA level in 2-3 years. James harden level euro stepping type ****

2. Cam, his attitude and swagger I just think he’s gonna make Jalen very replaceable and be a better shooter

3. Green, if he can carry what he was doing into next season he’ll be 1 or 2 for me but there’s something about him I just don’t see leader, consistent, or dependable

4. Jabari, he’ll have a breakout year next year and I think can be a great super role player here

5. Sengun, sorry boys I don’t want to pay him and think if anything Amen, Green, and Cam are the big 3. I think Sengun will be very replaceable once Amen and Green want that ball more and we play fast pace. Boy better start hitting 3’s is all I’m going to say

6. Tari, I’d put him above Sengun cause he won’t cost as much and has grit. His mom annoys me though

jcmoon likes this.
  6. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

Sengun
    Amen
    Jalen
    Cam
    Bari
    Jock
    Tari

7. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

1. Amen
    2. Sengun
    3. Green
    4. Bari
    5. Tari
    6. Cam

I think you have to choose based on ceiling, BBall IQ, health, and reproducibility of performance in the playoffs, in that order. I know he can't shoot for **** yet, but Amen just oozes that "it" factor. He contributes so much to winning plays even as a rookie, and he comports himself in a way where I believe he can eventually be the best player on a championship caliber team. I dunno why, but I feel like he will get in the gym and develop at least passsable shooting.

Sengun has been clutch when the games were close in late game situations and OT's. You know he's a winner too, but with his player archetype and the defensive questions that will always remain, I think that if you're not Jokic then you still can't be best player on a champion with that style. Still we extend him at the max no question.

Green seems oh-so-close to figuring out. It's always been decision-making with him, and I don't know if he will ever not be a streaky shooter. But Kobe was not a good shooter in his career. It's all about finding ways to contribute when your shot isn't falling, and in the Heat game we did see him get to the line a lot even though his offense otherwise looked completely discombobulated. I would try to get him extended slightly below max, but still the potential is still there. If you can manage not extending him until after his fourth year, you do that to keep the carrot dangling over him.

Bari has all the tools to be a big time winner. No doubt I think he can be third banana on a champion. As a sophomore though it's still been frustrating watching him get passive on both offense and defense. You can tell it's all confidence with him, and he just seems like too timid a personality to ever step up as a superstar. This is why we all call him Littlefoot.

Tari's red flag is health. That's it. Otherwise I think he's a Trevor Ariza clone. You do everything you can to hold onto that guy except pay him like a star.

Cam's red flag is decision-making. His highlight reel makes your eyes bulge out, but we've seen untold numbers of players in NBA history who were like that and still could never understand how to make consistent, winning plays. His ceiling is as a sparkplug sixth man off the bench, and if he wants a bigger role than that, he'll be plying his trade elsewhere.

Shark44, cmlmel77, Y2JT and 1 other person like this.
  8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Projecting young players is a tricky business and not an exact science. I row my eyes when someone claims that he know exactly how a player will turn out and thinks everybody who doesn't agree is dumb.

It's not just the ceilings. Not all ceilings are created equal. You also need to consider how likely a guy can reach the ceiling. And that is extremely subjective even if you accounted for age and how the player progresses. No two players' trajectories are the same. It's all just educated guesses at best.

That's why you also have to look at the floor in case they don't improve significantly. Will they still be valuable players?

I put Green last not because I rank him last. It's just that he is the most difficult to predict having a huge range between his floor and his ceiling, not to mention his progress looks like a sine wave. Both keeping him and trading him (unless for a proven star) are gambles. He is a classic high risk high reward case.

9. DrNuegebauer

DrNuegebauer Member

I see where you are coming from

For me I agree on Tari - but that is no knock on him. I see him as easily a 10 year NBA rotation player. Him 6th indicates the potential of the other 5.

I like your order
    I might put Amen 2nd (and shuffle the rest down one spot), but if his shot hasn't improved by next year, then back down he goes

wlekfjv923n likes this.
  10. maypk

maypk Member

1. Sengun

2. Amen
    3. Tari

mirdirir, cml750 and AroundTheWorld like this.
  11. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Sengun
    Amen
    Jabari
    Cam
    Tari
    Jalen

12. Philosophia

Philosophia Member

1a) Sengun 1b) Jalen

Those 2 guys are the main offensive pillars: A guard and a big. In theory, their games should compliment one another very well.

3) Bari
    4) Amen
    5) Tari
    6) Cam

Everyone else is in a similar tier. Jabari and Tari seem like they would stay for the long haul because their games are the most versatile and thus compliment many different styles. Also, it would appear as though, neither Bari nor Tari would demand a max contract by the end of their rookie contract, which would also increase their likelihood of staying long term.

All of this is obviously premature and is just based on how I project each player to turnout around the end of their rookie contract.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun, Amen ( could become our best player), Cam(will average 28-31/gm one day ), and Jabari (severely underrated, will blossom into much more) need to be here for a long time.

Tari's gonna be a helluva role player. Might eventually get dealt though.

Jalen's a tough call, as to how he develops...I think we're gonna deal him for a studly 3.

#73 Plowman, Apr 6, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
  14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They do not because Alpe is not Jokic yet, he does not cover as much area as Joker does despite being much more athletic and a little faster.
    Does not shoot the FTs and 3 pointers.

And Jalen is not as good as of a floor spacer and a playmaker as Jamal Murray.

Both of them are still relying on the overall team to win more than not ...........

15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

this guy gets it

cml750 likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Cam Whitmore has potential as anyone though, he could easily explode but Ime has to play him more despite his tunnel vision.

Can't teach Size and Muscles at 19.

#76 daywalker02, Apr 6, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 6, 2024
    tycoonchip and AroundTheWorld like this.
  17. BaselineFade

BaselineFade Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun
    Amen
    Jalen
    Cam
    Jabari
    Tari

18. cml750

cml750 Member

1) Alpi (by far the top guy. He will be in league MVP discussions soon)

2-4) Amen, Cam, Tari (I like the potential of all 3 so much I rank them all equal at this point of their careers
    5) Jabari ( I think he will be an excellent 3&D role player as his ceiling)

6) Jalen (He can move WAY up my list depending on his play next year but without his amazing recent streak there would be no next year IMO)

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Sounds like NBA animal farm... Everyone is equal and some are more equal than others.

If you really exclude his 37 and 42 point games all he is - super athlete with improving fundamentals but still a very flawed mediocre player when he shoots below 36%. His passing game or Defense look decent or worse but nothing stands out if not for the scoring.

It's a ton of running and running down the court.

20. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]