1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Stefon Diggs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2024.

1. Qan

Qan Member

1 year rental? I like the player, but shouldn't have cost a 2nd round in that case.

blackistan, basketball and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

I have faith in Caserio but this was so unnecessary. Why give up so much leverage and control? This and trading M. Collins for pennies are baffling moves.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

A 2nd rounder next year is the equivalent of a 3rd rounder this year. There was zero chance the Bills would have traded him away for anything less, and he immediately steps in and gives you production that outweighs whatever receiver you would have gotten in the 3rd round this year. And moving forward, if Diggs absolutely balls out, the Texans will be given every opportunity to re-sign him. I just don't see why people are so upset by this restructure. It really doesn't change much of anything for the Texans THIS season, and that's ultimately all that really matters.

zeeshan2, Scarface281 and red5rocket like this.
  4. Landry's Tooth

They didn't give up a second for him. They gave up a second a year from now for him and 2 other picks.

houstonstime and Porkasaurus85 like this.
  5. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

The Texans almost certainly never planned on retaining Diggs given his age and salary, even if he had a good season. They went all in on trying to get the best version of him they can get for this season, knowing that he would likely be a whiny b**** playing on a non guaranteed year to year deal.

A potentially high 2nd rd pick is a fairly steep price for a one year gamble, but flags fly forever.

red5rocket and Marteen like this.
  6. Landry's Tooth

I understand both arguments. One thing not being mentioned...

How does this make Houston look to potential free agents?

We have a GM willing to work with players to keep them happy. It's like Bizarro BOB.

7. Qan

Qan Member

I'm fine with it. I hope this will allow Caserio to sign Nico next year...highly doubt they'll keep Diggs.

8. Deuce Rings

Deuce Rings Contributing Member

Head-scratcher….

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  9. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I like it. You add a SUPER motivated star WR to an already stacked WR room. He's looking to earn his final payday and the Texans are thinking maybe they go all the way this season.

So yeah, Diggs is a rental, but if the Texans get a ring out of it, fully worth it.

Also, now this is a 100% no risk move. If he's washed or if he acts up, no big deal. We're not stuck with him.

10. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

If he turns into the same b*tch ass cancer he’s always been then his options are super limited (Titans will overpay) when he becomes a free agent. If he does well in whatever role he’s asked to play on offense then he’ll be seen as a ‘team player’ and he’ll get a descent contract.

11. PatBev

PatBev Member

The greatest day of my life is when the Texans win a Super Bowl before Dallas at least in me and my friends lifetime

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  12. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

OWNED. NICE.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Fully agreed.

houstonstime likes this.
  14. J.R.

J.R. Member

15. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Screenshot_20240318_194013_Chrome.jpg

16. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Right it can't be stressed enough here. If he has a great year he's gone. If he doesn't have a great year, you wasted a 2nd round pick.

Essentially this is a "win the superbowl = good move, don't win the superbowl = bad move." Never interested in that type of move personally. It's a 1 year window move.

If CJ loves him and they build a lot of chemistry he puts up numbers and leaves. If that doesn't happen then there wasn't a point to the deal to begin with.

tehG l i d e and cmoak1982 like this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Jimmy Ward should have gave that #1 to tank

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Jimmy Ward should give the Texans some money back.

red5rocket and Fulgore like this.
  19. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

I dunno man. If the chemistry is there with Diggs and CJ I can see him staying.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. conquistador#11

This is how I wanted Nick to handle it so I can't complain. It's also why the Chargers near deal was a little more appealing.

A 2nd round pick is a steep price for a year rental. But It does tell us a thing or two:
    -- This is strictly for Stroud, who had to ask for Diggs by name. Deshaun could only dream of getting this kind of input. Hope the mugatu crew is watching.
    -- WR is still on the table in the 2025 draft should Metchie not progress.

-- Nick trusts his 5th round feel

---- collins extension priority

--- Win the whole thing. Like it's hard?

IBTL and J.R. like this.