1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Amen reminds me a bit of a pre-injury Jonathan Isaac in terms of athleticism and body type.

MrButtocks and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I honestly think he’s our best chance at a star. Not taking anything away from our other prospects; I just believe in Amen. He’s gonna develop a mid-range game and be our franchise player. Just have that feeling.

I would not trade Amen, Cam, or Tari. Those are our 3 biggest dogs. If we swapped out Sengun, Jalen and Bari for true star players, keeping those other 3 would make it palatable.

tycoonchip and "Hail Hydra" like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Reminded me of Kirilenko.... funny now that Cooper Flagg is described as much better Kirilenko.

4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Damn an elite future core without lead ball handling skills is going to be something. You want a elite core but still need to find a lead ball handler. What a core.

Do you troll your takes?

5. CHAMPBOY

CHAMPBOY Member

Amen is a POINT GUARD just needs to tighten up his handles this summer….he has elite point guard traits….elite defender, elite passer and athleticism

don grahamleone and BaselineFade like this.
  6. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

Kirilenko's wingspan was an absurd 7' 5", Flagg doesn't get close to that.

don grahamleone likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Very likely but that is what is being discussed now.

8. PatBev

PatBev Member

Boy just also needs to get more reps as a PG next season

BaselineFade likes this.
  9. kpdark

kpdark Member

10. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Can’t wait to see his second year progress.

11. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Passing Jaime Jaquez is impressive given how huge the gap was between them the first half of the season.

I will admit I was wrong about Brandon Miller, although I still think I'd take Amen long term (it's close, though).

All-Rookie 1st Team for certain.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

This rookie class is super impressive so far. Really happy we had a top pick in it.

14. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Well, Chet technically doesn't belong to this rookie class. But yeah, a lot of people thought this would be a two-deep draft, no can't-miss prospects after Wemby and Scoot. Scoot has been disappointing. But the draft is looking like a pretty deep class. Miller is better than I expected. So is Amen.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

This is fair to Amen. Brandon Miller's full season production clearly puts him in 3rd place.

16. kspires999

kspires999 Member
    Supporting Member

I am officially a Brandon Miller skeptic. Part of it is he is tainted by the Hornet’s losing stank. Part is that for a 6’9” wing he doesn’t create assists, rebound the ball, or play defense. He is also 6 months older than our very own Jabari Smith Jr. - who plays defense and rebounds.

I take Amen all day over Miller in a redraft. Amen has a VORP of +1.1 while Brandon Millers is …-.4. Defense, rebounding and playmaking matter.

don grahamleone and Mathloom like this.
  17. RC Cola

RC Cola Contributing Member

Had I known Sengun would take the leap he took, and that Jalen at least flashed something of a leap, I probably would have leaned more towards Miller over Amen (or Cam...who I think I also had over Miller IIRC). Miller actually seems to be doing more or less what I expected (maybe the high end of expectations), but I always saw him as more of a secondary guy. He can get some buckets, but he's not necessary generating easy baskets (and thus he can be a bit streaky/inconsistent, especially in situations with more defensive pressure).

That's fine if you have a Sengun or (hopefully good) Jalen, but at the time, I preferred more of a home run swing (so Amen or Cam). Not that it mattered since Miller wasn't available, but that's generally how I saw it. Fortunately all 3 guys seems to be doing fairly good stuff in their rookie years (Amen doing good in exactly none of the ways I expected haha).

IIRC Vecenie went gaga over his (Miller) last 30 something game stretch, but stat wise I think it was roughly on par (or worse) than Jalen's rookie year under similar circumstances (last 30 something games on meh team). And I thought we were somewhat disappointed with Jalen that year despite the strong finish.

tinman likes this.
  18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

The question was never Miller but if Portland was interested in Amen enough to let go of Scoot......

It was extremely unlikely that they would trade up to 2nd and nab Miller.