1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Texans acquire Stefon Diggs

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by J.R., Apr 3, 2024.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

When you include Mixon as one of the best pass catching RBs it really opens up the playbook. Shultz is also primed for a bigger year due to the attention at the other positions. Its going to be hard to stop Houston. Having the OL healthy and playing at a high level is going to be imperative.

Rashmon, joshuaao, ROXRAN and 3 others like this.
  2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Diggs is a better receiver but Allen more likely to be ok if he’s slot receiver full time with down targets.

Just player for player though, obviously prefer Diggs. He’s elite at receiver skills and he can tear it up from the slot too.

houstonstime likes this.
  3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I wouldn’t say he’s a top 10 receiver. He’s not the top guy on the Texans.
    I’m happy we have him, but it’s a reserved happiness.

OldManBernie and Shark44 like this.
  4. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

107 catches for 1200 yards last year, where do you rank him?

everyday eddie and houstonstime like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Top 15-20. There’s so many good receivers right now.

6. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Thats too low in my opinion considering he had over 1k yards for 6 years straight but alright

7. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

JJ, Amon-Ra, AJ, Tyreek, Chase, CeeDee, Evans, Puka, Aiyuk, Allen, Kupp*, Nico.
    Then you start getting into Diggs, Pittman, Davante, Waddle, Cooper, DK, Garret Wilson, Hopkins, Olave, Smith

I think Diggs is a now in that next tier of top tier WR. Maybe his downward slide in second half was a fluke and he’s still a top guy. We will see

@JHarden713

Fulgore likes this.
  9. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

You putting Puka up there already?

houstonstime likes this.
  10. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

You know as well as anybody that consistency is a very important/factor when you rank players. 6 years is pretty consistent and the "regression" doesn't really show in his numbers.

houstonstime likes this.
  11. J.R.

J.R. Member

Graham: The Bills don’t view Diggs as a consummate No. 1 receiver anymore and wanted to turn the page. Perhaps they could have squeezed one more season out of him, but compounded by the repeated microaggressions, those side-eyed comments, those cryptic social media posts (from him and little brother Trevon Diggs of the Dallas Cowboys) that took swipes at the organization and Josh Allen in particular got old for everybody at One Bills Drive. Everyone was so ready to move on that they’d rather choke on a $31 million cap hit and take a 2025 second-round draft choice than have Diggs back in their locker room. Doesn’t get much more damning than that.

https://theathletic.com/5389671/2024/04/04/buffalo-bills-stefon-diggs-trade-texans/

jch1911 likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Maybe, dude had arguably the top 2 best season ever for a rookie

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Second half last year he was pretty bad. Drops, effort, production.
    At this point I’d say he’s a Hines Ward type of receiver. Productive but not a game changer

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m stoked at the receiver group. With Diggs, it’s probably the best room in the league or at least in the conversation.
    But I don’t think he’s the number 1 on this team, and I am worried that’s going to cause problems

15. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I believe that's TBD. I believe an athletes' prime years are 28-32 (if they're healthy). I've never been a fan of diva personas, but I respect the work that Diggs put in as a former 5th rd pick and what he's been able to achieve in his career.

He's getting a fresh start with an young QB that he's already built a rapport with. He's transitioning from OC chaos in BUF to being integrated into a offense hand-crafted by one of the NFL's upcoming offensive minds.

How will defenses scheme to cover all of these weapons? Even if you have two great CBs, who do you put them on? CJ will find their weakness and exploit them (over and over). The protections and OL will really be key for how dominant are offense can become.

With all of that said, my hope is SD embraces this opportunity and this team, and sees it as a way to top off his career with a couple of championships. That means being a leader vs a complainer.

joshuaao, UTSA2step and cmoak1982 like this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with everything here. My main concern is, is he willing to be a part of the offense that could be all time, or is he worried about getting “his” like he has been for a while.
    Complaining about having a top 2-3 QB is weird to me. Regardless of coaching issues

Shark44 likes this.
  17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

With Nico, Tank, Diggs and Mixon all needing to be fed, I don't think it's a given Schultz has increased production this year. Maybe the first couple of games. Once CJ develops chemistry with everyone, Schultz will be the "loser" IMO.

Another thing: If the o-line improves at run-blocking, I promise you they will run the ball more than fans want. Slowick is a Kyle disciple.

18. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

19. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Tickets will be harder to get after this trade. The only cheap tickets I see on the slate are the division games.

20. Kemahkeith

Kemahkeith Member
    Supporting Member

The double D's