1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Bluejays @ Astros

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Apr 1, 2024.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It’s baseball.

I’m less concerned about wins and losses and more concerned about the underlying numbers- which right now are exceptional.

If the starting pitching is in the top 4 of baseball, the Astros will win a lot of games -

13 in 33, Rvo384, Stephen66 and 9 others like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Well - the pedo, the woman beater or the guy that cannot find the plate… if Coleman starts pitching up to his potential, he may want to change his number.

IBTL likes this.
  3. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Lidge was also 54...

InTheGroove, 13 in 33, IBTL and 2 others like this.
  4. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

IMG_0632.jpeg

#984 Houstunna, Apr 4, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2024
  5. Screaming Fist

Astros pitching currently second in baseball in expected wOBA (.280 - .252 for the SPs) and 3rd for hitting (.377). The team is playing well, just pray it continues.

6. CinematicFusion

7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

I feel the same as I did after the Yankee series.

they should have won 3 of the 4 games and blew 3 of which with what you expect to be their greatest strength(bullpen). They should have swept the Jays but blew another.

I am more enamored with Pena’s power resurgence, and Yanier’s start.

Houston may have its best team this year if Framber and Javier are on their A game.

8. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It was great to see him back to hitting like the slugger we know and love.

9. Radricky

Radricky Member

He’s doomed

desihooper likes this.
  10. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Great Win, I was concerned after 2 innings and we could not drive in a run after so many singles to load the bases but in the end it was a masterfully pitched game and Yordan came out swinging..............were the BEST 2-6 team out there :p

Now let's go up I-45 and kick the Rangers ass!

11. kaw1988

kaw1988 Member

Houstunna and IBTL like this.
  12. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Best 2-5 team ever in MLB in 7 games. As bad as our RPs have been with exception to the last night, they are tied for 1st in Runs Allowed in their division, or tied with the Rangers. As more games are played, our win-loss records will reverse.

everyday eddie likes this.
  13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Until last night, Alvarez, Bregman and Abreu were horrible at the plate. You aren't going to score a lot of runs when every your 2, 4, 6 is completely ineffective. Momentum killers. I think we should move Diaz to the 4 spot until Bregman gets over his notoriously slow start.

everyday eddie and 13 in 33 like this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

I said I was gonna quit the Astros for a game with last night. But I couldn't. I couldn't do it!

I'm feeling better about this team now. Not out of the woods yet, and we have a tough schedule still for a while. Yet, let's all pray for a good harvest and pray the rosary tonight.

Jake Tower likes this.
  15. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

For those of you looking for a light at the end of the tunnel, the Astros have gotten off to mediocre starts each of the last 3 seasons.

2021 - They did begin 6-1, but then hit a skid and eventually fell to 7-10.
    2022 - They began 7-9 and were 11-11 before winning 11 in a row and never looking back.
    2023 - They began 3-6 and were only 20-19 a month and a half into the season.

16. CinematicFusion

Alverez has been hitting the ball hard.
    Bregman is lost as usual early in the season
    Give Abreu 50 games and see where he is at, still struggling you got to make a move

17. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

I agree with all of it. Just an observation. I just think we should put Diaz where Bregman is and Bregman behind Chas until things settle down

13 in 33 and CinematicFusion like this.
  18. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

I lot of guys on this forum blasted me for saying Javier needed to develop a third pitch. He now has 3 plus pitches. Getting in shape was also imperative. If he can just get his control under better control, he has ace-like stuff. If France and Blanco continue to sign do we go to a six man rotation when Verlander gets back?

13 in 33 likes this.
  19. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Bergman is fine, he had a lot of quality at bars. Last night, he could of swung at those 3-1 or 3-0 counts. Bergman is valuable when he gets on bases which is like a base hit. Astros maintain their swagger, it will change quick. Love that the team flushed out the bad quick. These 3 games against the Jays show we will have a great season.

13 in 33 and Houstunna like this.
  20. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'm not for moving around guys for slumps as by the time you know a guy is in a slump, they're as likely hot as cold going forward. That said, Yainer Diaz has been the 4th best hitter on the Astros since the start of the 2023 season, and I think Yainer Diaz will continue to be one of the 4 best hitters this year. He should be batting cleanup. He's been the 22nd best hitter in baseball per xwOBA since June of last year (minimum 300 PAs).

Javier looked gassed after 3 innings. The fifth inning looked like he mustered every last bit of strength he had left to get a little more ummph on his pitches, command be damned. Great results because he's got great stuff, but I would not use last game to praise Javier for his endurance/ shape because his cheeto eating fat-ass self had plenty of 5 innings that he was great for 3, had two more innings were he got by on smoke and mirrors. The difference was he got pulled after 5 while giving up 2 or less runs and his uptick in ummmphh last night in the 5th indicated that he was likely told the 5th was his last inning.