1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The "religion of peace", 2023-2024 edition

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by AroundTheWorld, Dec 2, 2023.

1. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Dumbasses who cannot distinguish between a bad ideology and innocent people who were born into following it...Buck Turgidson and Amiga.

2. Buck Turgidson

I didn't say "Islam is evil"

You did.

3. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yes. And it's true. Doesn't mean people who were born into being followers of it are evil.

4. Buck Turgidson

Cool, just know that you are a bigot

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

So you support an ideology with the following features:
    • death to apostates
    • stoning of gays
    • hate against Jews
    • discrimination of women
    • founded by a pedophile warlord
    • cited as motivation for most and deadliest terror attacks in the last decades
    But I am the bigot for calling that ideology evil. Got it.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I’ve never met a Muslim who agrees with death to apostates, stoning gays, or hating people just because they are Jewish. And I’d never assume someone must believe such things just because they self identify as Muslim.

The issues you bring up are not inherent to Islam, any more than the backwards stuff in the holy books of other religions are inherent to those religions.

Culture and religion evolve over time. What a typical Christian in 1024 believes and what they believe in 2024 are very different. Doesn’t mean one is more “Christian” than the other. Similarly, a Muslim who embraces non-violence and tolerance need not be considered less of a “Muslim” than a violent jihadist.

Islamic cultures in general have been more resistant to change, and various political conflicts have also amplified “fundamentalist” voices that demand adherence to customs and laws that are incompatible with liberal values.

We should be encouraging peaceful integration of Muslim communities into Western societies without sacrificing our own values of liberalism and religious tolerance. The way to do that is to lift up modern, tolerant, Muslim voices. Not to send the message that if you’re a true Muslim then you’re evil (which is precisely the implication when one declares that Islam is inherently evil).

kubli9, Xopher, ROCKSS and 2 others like this.
  7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I called you a bigot for saying “Islam is evil”, so I’ll reply.

People who claim that those features or actions as evil are not bigots, and no one will disagree with you on that. However, when you label an entire religion as evil, that’s the very definition of bigotry.

Outside of your online persona, do you actually have real-life bigotry toward Islam? I highly doubt it unless you truly believe that someone like Hakeem Olajuwon, a devoted practitioner of Islam, harbors such views.

8. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

I posted the Pew polls many times. It's a popular debate tactic by leftists to pretend "I have never met a Muslim who believes in that stuff" but when you look at the actual poll results, they are shocking. We are literally talking about hundreds of millions of people with these beliefs, and a not insignificant percentage of them being willing to translate these beliefs into violent action.

Clearly, this does not mean that every Muslim or even the majority of them are bad people, but the ideology of Islam (it is clearly not just a religion in the spiritual sense, but also a political ideology) is evil and supremacist.

9. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Alpi **secretly** hates joos.

I read on X or somewhere that his beliefs are a lie.

10. Nook

Nook Member

No - Islam is evil, it calls and often is practiced in a very oppressive way. Is every Muslim “evil”? No, many Muslims are not evil or bad people. However - that does not change the fact that is an extremely oppressive and violent religion. There are people that choose to not follow that tact or practice- but that is their decision.

There are Trumpers that are wonderful people, will literally give you the shirt off their back - very generous and loving - but it doesn’t mean that the ideology isn’t terrible.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Alpi loves basketball, memes and hot girls from Europe. Slaying Jews with the Zubicar is way down on his list of priorities… don’t think Mohammed would be a big fan.

ROCKSS and AroundTheWorld like this.
  12. ChrisBosh

ChrisBosh Member

ATW is such a clown. I saw this bloke posting fake news all the time. He does not even read or vet the stuff he's posting. A true unhinged person who is lonely and regretting his life decisions which is fueling his anger towards Islam.

We get it that too many Muslims are in your country. Change your immigration laws buddy. You will see more people like you.

astros123 likes this.
  13. astros123

astros123 Member

Muslims in America are the highest educated and commit the lowest crime out of most ethnicities. Indians are some of the richest successful folks in America.

The ones we all hate are the right wing donks @AroundTheWorld . Muslims and most South Asian vote democrat and aren't braindead

14. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

15. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

16. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

17. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

Guilty until proven innocent if you are Muslim or any other skin tone besides white Caucasian. Let's not talk about Bubba or Joey beating his wife or girlfriend to death. That's just called Friday night in the States.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  18. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

19. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

20. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Eh I lost a bit of respect for you with this opinion.

Not because I think Islam is "good". It's an outdated Abrahamic faith.

The part that makes me lose a bit of respect is comparing it to a lot in ideology in Trumpism.

It's akin to comparing Islam to Nazism. Once you do that you are equalti g people like my other to an ideology that is opt in like Maga or Nazism and I can't let that fly.

Old ass religions like Islam are opt out ideologies. As in you are born into it and due to that there is a strong variation in adherence to it because of the nature of being born into a religion.

If you are going to single our Islam as a uniquely evil Abrahamic religion, I have a problem with it. I think it's a sign of bigotry to believe that.

Nook likes this.