1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Game Theory podcast ranks NBA's best young cores (Rockets #5)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OremLK, Apr 2, 2024.

?

Where should the Rockets' rookie-deal young core rank in the NBA?

This poll will close on Jun 1, 2024 at 12:01 PM.

18 vote(s)
    25.0%

20 vote(s)
    27.8%

23 vote(s)
    31.9%

8 vote(s)
    11.1%

2 vote(s)
    2.8%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

0 vote(s)
    0.0%

1 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Sengun is better than Paolo today but that isn't the most important thing. Paolo is only in year 2 while Sengun is in year 3, but also, it's more about what you think they'll turn into than what they are now. If you had to bet on who is more likely to win an MVP (or at least be in the MVP conversation) in the next 8 years, would it be Paolo or Sengun? I think most people would take Paolo, despite the fact that Sengun is better than him today, and has been better than him this year.

#41 harold bingo, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
    dmoneybangbang and daywalker02 like this.
  2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is a fair assessment, at the end of the day we are only trying to read what the end result might be.

And the Magic are going to have it easier in the East.

3. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

I don't have a huge issue with the rankings though don't totally agree. Orlando has a much better record than us and whatnot, but they are +2.2 vs. our +1.5 and in the weaker conference. It's not that big of a difference.

I also get the 1A player point since that's the hardest thing to do in building a top-level NBA team but this stuff can flip pretty quick too. Trae seemed like he was on track to be a clear cut imminent 1A after they knocked Philly out of the playoffs.

Maybe some of those other teams have individual guys who look more likely to hit 1A but we have the most guys who have some semi-realistic shot. Alpi, Jalen (and I'm an overall pretty big Jalen skeptic), Cam, and Amen all have a semi-realistic path to all-NBA and Eason and Bari have somewhat realistic paths to becoming all star caliber players.

In aggregate we may have a better shot at a true top-tier 1A guy being on our roster right now than Orlando, OKC (non-SGA), and possibly even San Antonio who we definitely crush in depth.

Y2JT and OremLK like this.
  4. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I rank the 1986 Rockets young core #1, I’ll hang up and listen.

5. OremLK

OremLK Member

[​IMG]

MadMax likes this.
  6. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

‘95 Magic might be #1 all-time as a snapshot in time.

MadMax likes this.
  7. PeppermintCandy

If the main criterion is that the best individual player trumps all else, then I can't argue with the Wolves and Spurs being ranked at the top, I guess.

And the ranking of the Thunder, the Magic, and the Rockets in that order seems fair, too, given what each team achieved so far.

But I would say those three teams aren't that far from one another. Add SGA to the Thunder, and it's another story of course.

8. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Sengun isn't even the best player on this team lol.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

They’re 4 months apart in age. I don’t think it’s a guarantee Paolo ends up better. Not even close to a guarantee

Drift Monkey, Gergin and roslolian like this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Says you, and only you

Drift Monkey, Gergin and roslolian like this.
  11. roslolian

roslolian Member

That applies for every core outside OKC. Spurs literally one guy and even then injury is a concern.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. invocux

invocux Member

What these dudes are missing is that Sengun was shooting over 80% from ft line in Turkey and when you watch him take 3 pointers you know he doesn't have bad mechanics. If he works on his shooting with a coach in the post season he 100% will be a 3 level scorer. This dude showed up with some weird flamingo shot out of nowhere. I bet my life on him being a good 3pt shooter if he focuses on it for couple of months.

He is already a 21/9/5 guy when he adds that in his bag and gets better from ft line he becomes a 26/10/7 guy. That's a superstar leap and it's doable for him. Listen if a center can make one legged fadeaways he 100% can make 3pt shots. People are underselling him.

I think we have the 3rd best core. Okc, Memphis than us. If banchero gets injured they are toast. Banchero and Wagner are better than anyone in our roster not named Sengun but it's quality vs. quantity thing. Wendell, Suggs, Isaac, C.Anthony or Amen, Tari, Jabari, Cam. Cam can be a 20 ppg guy one day. If Jabari gets thicker he will become MPJ with defense (sligthly worse on offense), if Amen gets better from the 3pt line and improves his handles he instantly becomes our #1 option. Tari is a hustle guy who can shoot. Future Anunoby? You know what you are going to get from Orl guys. They more than likely peaked already.

Pelicans have Zion factor but we is an injury prone player. Ingram is 26. Trey and Herb aren't enough to take our spot. Both can only be great role players and that's it.

Pistons. Don't think Ivey is much different than Jalen. Similar caliber players. Duren will nowhere near Sengun and i think that his defense is overrated. He is just very strong physically but i don't see the instincts. Cade and Sengun are same tier guys but with the exception if Cade not being an engine. Sengun is an engine. Do you really want your best player to be Cade? I don't. Also looks like he can't stay healthy.

I think TBlaizers are very interesting because they have a sneaky good core. Anfernee >>>> Jalen but can't stay healthy. I think Scoot is much much better than this. That kid will be very good in 2 years. Shaedon Sharpe has goof loooking mechanics and showed us that he can be a 36% 3pt shooter in his rookie year. If he can stay there it is over you have a star because he is the most athletic young guy in the league.

roslolian and Little Bit like this.
  13. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Eh everybody doesn't lust after Sengun like you sir. They're are ppl who see the obvious

14. MadMax

That Bob Costas 95 Finals pregame intro agrees!

Drift Monkey and ChillyPete32 like this.
  15. MadMax

1.21 JIGGAWATTSSSS!

OremLK likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

17. ChillyPete32

ChillyPete32 Member

Coming back to this, one thing kind of interesting to me is Cleveland. Like if these guys have San Antonio #1 solely based on Wemby, I don't see how the Cavs wouldn't be ahead of at least Portland and Memphis. Even though it's only Mobley and Okoro on rookie scale, Mobley is probably getting slept on a bit. He's had some injuries and stalled out a bit after taking the league by storm for a rookie out of the gate, but he's starting to show some more creation off the dribble and a bit of a 3 ball. Overall best player on a really good team is still very possible for him.

daywalker02 likes this.
  18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No lust. Just an objective Rockets fan, that is supported by numbers and every pundit agrees with.

Drift Monkey likes this.
  19. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

No. Supported by cherrypicked numbers & excuses

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No. Supported by every number. If he looked like Stone (he does) you would support him

Drift Monkey likes this.