1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

What Happened to Dillon Brooks Game?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Imanimal, Feb 11, 2024.

1. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

2. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

He was playing better but he isn't better. We have multiple years of evidence of how bad he is at self creation. I don't mind him taking wide open 3s off of someone else's action just please no dribbling cause it always looks terrible.

daywalker02 likes this.
  3. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

4 years was far too many years for him.

DD

4. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Got enough game to drive a square b**** insane.

5. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I like Dillon, but he looks tired. I really wish he was a better rebounder, there are times when he doesn't even appear to TRY to be in position for a board, but his overall effort is generally good. I dunno. Hopefully next year will be better.

Roomba likes this.
  6. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

7 Years of Memphis and he was consistently averaging 3 boards a game....very consistent, not bottom tier but also nothing really good.

He is 3.4 boards per games this year, I do not see him above 4 rbg.

Roomba likes this.
  7. Roomba

Roomba Member
    Supporting Member

Dillon LOOKS like he’d be a good rebounder—he’s strong, big, and is a bruising wing when he attacks the basket. But he’s never been an above average rebounder, and he really doesn't seem to have good instincts when getting boards. I don’t think he ever lacks effort, some people just aren’t good at rebounding, sadly. And others, like Amen and Tari…it seems like they have magnets on their hands

daywalker02 likes this.
  8. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Ditto, Brooks also did not strike me as intimidating, yeah, he is built like a tank but if you watch his encounters, he rather sucker punch you in the nuts than really go face to face with you other than hurling insults at you.....Weird behavior.

Not good at boxing out and really just T-Rex arms at times. And it is just theater with him and the refs.

Roomba likes this.
  9. Imanimal

Imanimal Member

Very simple….he is a backup in a starter role and that must change next year or we’ll be .500 or slightly better again. No issues with having Dillon, just can’t succeed long term with him starting.

10. OremLK

OremLK Member

It doesn't help that his wingspan is the same as his height, only 6'6", and he is not a great athlete either. He is a pretty limited player overall. Not a good rebounder at all. Not a good passer, poor court vision and decisionmaking on offense. Not a good shooter--ever since the first dozen games he is back to his below-average career 3P%. Just decent around the basket, mediocre at best in the midrange. He is a plus defender against most small forwards and larger guards, but not long enough against true big men and not quick enough against smaller, faster guards.

The biggest plus of having him has been his intensity and effort, which I do think has rubbed off on the young guns in a positive way.

$20-23M a year is not too much for a starter in today's cap situation, but I'm honestly back to thinking "this dude is not a starting caliber player in the NBA". He should really be coming off the bench for like 18-20 minutes per game on a contending team.

Roomba, DaDakota and Easy like this.
  11. MystikArkitect

Dillon's been having a rough March/April. He has a lot of issues laterally but his size is problematic for players that can't simply blaze by him. He isn't going anywhere and next year should simply be splitting time with Tari and whoever more on that day should be seeing the court. I'd say Mikal Bridges in that spot would he enticing but I think I'd rather keep Dillon and groom Cam Whitmore to eventually take over.

Grass isn't always greener and I've learned that some players provide intangibles that you can't just replace (Ariza, Maldonado)

HD729 likes this.
  12. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Weird fact heading into Thursday game. DB has missed 15 straight threes at home.

daywalker02 likes this.
  13. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Dillon needs to go to the bench or be traded next year. Amen has to start and SF is the only position open to him to start the year. I don’t really see a good fit that is gettable, but trading Dillon and any of our other scrubs plus mulitple 1sts for a PF that plays defense and shoots would be ideal. I really think Jabari could slide to SF when Amen is ready to take over at PG. Imagine a lineup of Amen, Jalen, Jabari, said Pf (good defense and shooter), Sengun. Unfortunately, I don’t see a PF like that in this year’s draft and the PF’s that fit the bill are probably not available.

14. invocux

invocux Member

I liked him at first but now that we have Tari and Amen we don't need him. Brooks, Tate and some picks for a very good shooter.

15. meh

meh Contributing Member

FG% on drives this year before March. Dillon Brooks 45%, Jalen Green 43%, FVV 40%. I'll say it again, Dillon Brooks was the more efficient player prior to Jalen Green's big March breakout. He might not be efficient by NBA standards, but he was efficient by Rockets crappy offense standard.

Anyways, it does seem like our difference in opinion comes from me liking to use objective measurements like data and not go by feelz, so I'll stop trying to tell you how your feelz make no sense from a reality perspective.

#175 meh, Apr 3, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2024
  16. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Wonder how serious his injury was and if he’s kind of fighting through it - we will find out at end of season … his rebounding numbers won’t ever be great - most of the time he’s on the guy shooting …plus Bari Alpi Amen even Jalen now gobble up rebounds - only so many to go around

I’m okay with him driving - but I hate he looks off Bari so much (might be in part because Bari isn’t aggressive in shot taking himself)

17. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

I don't either. It's just not in him.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He did the job he was brought in to do, he helped change the culture - but he is not the best option to start any longer....try to trade him this offseason.

DD

19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Here are some numbers for you. Career 41.7% FG. Last year 39.6% TOTAL FG. It's not about feelz it's about me knowing that basketball is a streaky sport and refusing to be a prisoner of the moment. Being decent for a couple of months doesn't erase 6 years of absolute garbage. We have enough long term evidence to know that the dude is who he is, I'm not going to be swayed by a couple lucky months. I'd rather bet on a good player going on a bad stretch or a young player with upside than a bad player on a lucky streak.

20. Ancient Moabite

Good thing is the league is filled with Dillon type starters (forced starters)

So Rockets aren't in some exclusive club, they just have to trust Ime to know when to sit him, which he has at times

But the Villain is Ime free agent choice so he will of course give Dillon a long leash, which is where you and Udoka differ in minutes played scenario

I agree with the other stuff you mention for most part

OremLK likes this.