1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I have grown tired of Jose Abreu

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Underrated23, May 7, 2023.

1. Nook

Nook Member

It really isn't 200 innings though.

They lost like 185 innings between Neris, Maton and Stanek.

They added Hader and he gives you about 60 innings.

So that leaves like 125 innings that need to be made up,

That is still a lot of innings to make up, but that is not 200 innings....

They also should have Urquidy back, Luis Garcia will be back in July.... Spencer Arrighetti will be called up at some point in May most likely.... Penn Murfee will be back, Bennett Sousa and others too.

They certainly are going to need a solid middle reliever to emerge internally, but I wouldn't go as far as calling it "outright negligence".

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  2. Nook

Nook Member

Montero already is on the Astros - and has upside, and has been a big time performer for the Astros before. I don't think they would sign him as a free agent at his current contract, but they looked into moving him and the cost is too high.

Mushinski makes the league minimum, and made the team, in part because they have 9 pitchers on their 40 man that are on the IL.

They need for some internal options under long term team control to emerge - for this all to keep working.

The Beard and Snake Diggit like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I get emotional concerning the teams I follow at times.
    I will walk that statement back to borderline negligence.

But as you point out, the FO knew their was a 125 inning problem and did nothing.

Nook and Tomstro like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

I agree - it is certainly dicey. They lose someone like Valdez or Verlander and they are in trouble. Ultimately they decided they would rather have Hader than two middle relievers.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect some regresssion in Verlander due to age, but come on....a problem? That's a little on the pessimistic side even for you.

Nook likes this.
  6. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

In all seriousness, if Whitley can be 80% of what they thought he could be... it solves a lot of issues.

Nook likes this.
  7. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I expect Verlander, Urquidy, Garcia, and McCullers to pitch over 100 more innings as a group for the Astros than they did last year with a large portion of that being Verlander. I just can't see the Astros adding middle relievers when the Astros may have 8-9 SPs pitchers fighting for their spot in the rotation come the trade deadline with the losers eating up the vast majority of the middle relief innings. And if they don't, then there is the trade deadline.

Odds are something bad will happen to the Astros. Maybe the pitchers don't get healthy. Maybe Abreu just is no longer playable as a 1B. I think wasting bullets on a likely shortlived problem would be unwise when the Astros don't know what is going to be a problem later in the season.

Edit: I do think Alvarez and the Astros hitters will heat up (with consistency) at some point making the Astros middle reliever "problem" a moot point.

#667 Joe Joe, Apr 2, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Nook likes this.
  8. jim1961

jim1961 Member

For context, my pessimism is aimed mostly at the state of our middle relief staff.
    If that problem is addressed properly, you might start calling me an optimist :D

Nook likes this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

This is the tact that the GM decided to take. He kept some powder dry for the trade deadline to address what needs to be addressed.

If the Astros make the post season and are relatively healthy, their bullpen should be really good - they will have Abreu/Pressly/Hader and then their 5th starter at a minimum available - and likely more if Garcia comes back and is effective. I know they have discussed moving him to the pen when he comes back, at least for 2024. Garcia's stuff should play up well in the pen too.

The risk is getting into the post season and getting to the point where Garcia, Urquidy, etc. are back.

Assuming no injuries (a fools errand) ..... the Astros will have.....

Verlander
    Valdez
    Javier
    Brown
    Blanco
    France

Garcia
    Montero
    Urquidy
    Abreu
    Pressly
    Hader

Possibly: McCullers

Probably on the outside looking in: Bielak, Martinez, Arrighetti, Munfree, Coleman

So - realistically, the Astros should have plenty of pitching for the post season.... but I do think there will be parts of the year where the Astros miss having guys like Neris.

If the Astros go to a 4 man rotation - France and Brown or Blanco will be available - with Garcia/Montero/Abreu/Pressly/Hader

Snake Diggit likes this.
  10. Nook

Nook Member

You are more likely to get raped and impregnated by a bullfrog.

InTheGroove, IBTL, Rock Block and 4 others like this.
  11. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

12. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

Maton is the one I don't understand letting get away

He was good, and got a minimal contract

I understand the money part with Neris

InTheGroove likes this.
  13. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

“Good” is subjective… He just hit 3 batters in a row breaking one of them’s wrist last night.

14. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I'd say from April 15th- May 2nd, the Astros will have enough off days that middle relief won't be a problem. That should get the Astros to Verlander or close to it. I'm not expecting Cy Young Verlander. I'm expecting Verlander and Framber to eat enough innings that middle relievers are rarely throwing high leverage innings. So even though the problem will likely not be addressed, middle relievers costing the Astros games will likely go away relative to other teams midddle relievers losses provided the Astros don't have more than 4 starters hurt at a time after April 15th. If one of Verlander or Framber is hurt...that would likely drop the Astros to being just one of the best at keeping high leverage innings off of relievers with 4+ ERAs after April 15th instead of having a big advantage.

Caveat: I think the Astros offense is going to be fantastic this year such that I don't think Hader, Pressly, and Abreu are going to be needed every game.

#674 Joe Joe, Apr 2, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 2, 2024
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  15. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

Don’t forget 50-60 from Graveman, who they knew they’d be without in mid-January. So it most certainly is 200 innings that they did not actively try to replace, beyond Hader.

jim1961 likes this.
  16. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hader is good for 50-60 of those, and the highest leverage of them. They also will add innings from Verlander, Urquidy, Garcia, and McCullers (well over 150 combined) vs last season. The roles and timing are mismatched, but in terms of season innings totals, they had them covered.

Their projected playoff pitching staff is still ridiculously good:

SP: JV, Framber, Javier, Brown
    RP: Hader, Pressly, Abreu, McCullers, Garcia, Montero, Urquidy, Blanco, France

17. Nook

Nook Member

Graveman didn’t pitch 50-60 innings for the Astros last year.

They lost like 120-130 innings - which is a lot. However they made the strategic decision to get the closer and try for Snell and if not get him - then have money for the deadline.

It is a risky calculation. Yeah you will have France for a full season, Urquidy at some point reasonably soon, and hopefully Garcia in July… but that’s a lot of questions.

If Arrighetti pitches like they think he will - he will be up in May as a middle reliever too.

I will admit - I wish they could have found the money to sign Moore or Neris. I would feel a lot better.

Snake Diggit and IBTL like this.
  18. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Lmfao.

19. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

Let's pray for a good harvest, Brother Nook.

20. InTheGroove

InTheGroove Member

...so not to derail the great discussion about pitching in this thread-- the hitting coach working with himi? hows his batting practice looking pre-game?
    I'll give it to him for making some plays in the 4/1 flawless victory... but as of time of this post, 1 hit in 17 PA's, averaging just 25% of career / 2023 #'s tells me there's an ongoing issue.