1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Ime Udoka after Luka, Mavs snap Rockets 11-game win streak

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 31, 2024.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Udoka screwed the pooch by not at least intermittently doubling Luka.

He has to be better.

DD

roslolian likes this.
  2. roslolian

roslolian Member

Luka and Jokic are different players just cuz they both can pass doesn't mean you leave Landale on an island to get cooked by Luka every other play.

The more I read your post the more insane it sounds since neither Sengun, Jokic nor the Nuggets are on the court. So because Sengun defended Jokic 1 on 1 Brooks and Landale can also defend Luka 1 on 1? Lolwut.

#22 roslolian, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  3. roslolian

roslolian Member

Yeah I don't mind the logic but when Luka was clearly cooking his defender Ine needs to be able to adjust and change tactics.

4. maypk

maypk Member

So you're one of those result oriented folks I mentioned in my original post, that's cool keep it up.

5. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

We have got to get better shooters on our team. I think jalen and senguin are at a level where they will be doubled alot next year and that will create lots of open shots

6. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Reed Sheppard!

eliefor3 likes this.
  7. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

you have to throw different coverages at him every possession the way teams used to do with harden/hakeem. instead ime threw him bbq chicken every time down court

8. TimDuncanDonaut

In hindsight, double should have been sooner, but even if it was individual defender, why was Landale switched onto Luka in Q1, whereby Luka got into the rhythm? FVV can't fight over screens? Wasn't Jalen's defense supposedly improved or were we hiding him?

Offensively, rarely was Luka attacked on D. Not only, did they just paired Luka on Amen (for rest), Luka out rebounded Amen and whomever else was out there. Where was Amen's athletism, if peanut butter chunky Luka can just out rebound him.

If the trap on Jalen was working then run something else. Take a few possessions off and let someone else initiate and have Jalen come off ball.

Schematically outclassed, but players just need to be better. Always put a hand up.

Wolve can run the same traps in next game if they choose. And if Jalen does go into paint, it'll be Rudy blocking the shot instead of Gafford.

#28 TimDuncanDonaut, Apr 1, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2024
  9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

This one was clearly on Ime but the thing is we give young players way too much leeway, I would turn a blind eye on this one.

The Winning Streak was in major parts because of Ime and how he responded to Alpe's injury..... he giveth and he taketh.

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

No I'm saying your explanation makes zero sense. It's like seeing Wembanyama defend Jalen Brunson and because of that Trae Young can now defend Giannis 1on1.

What the F does Sengun defending Jokic have anything to do with Landale defending Doncic?

Dobbizzle and DreamShook like this.
  11. JW86

JW86 Member

Brooks is trusted way too much and I still don't like how we stick to one approach on offense and defense instead of mixing it up. Ime and our coaches either do not trust the young guys yet with trying different tactics throughout a game or they are just sticking to their philosophy at all cost. Given everything we hear from Ime and know about him, my bet is it's the latter but hope it's the former.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Fred wasnt being switched on to Jokic for Jokic to abuse during the denver game. The moment Amen got into foul trouble something should have changed when guarding Luka.

Nobody was fighting over screens, they were just letting Luka abuse Jock. Luka was allowed to get every favorable matchup.

Sengun was guarding Jokic 1v1 the whole game.

Streakshooter likes this.
  13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

And Maypk lives and dies by the C-word.

14. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah teammates missed some shots but overall I felt like Jalen could've done better, taken matters more into his own hands. Surprised he and Fred didn't get more shots. Outside of Jabari no one could help us score. No one could guard Luka not even Brooks.

Was a tough night, excellent learning for when you run into two elite scorers. Second round playoffs calibre opponent if not better. Normally you let Luka do his thing and shut everyone else down. Kyrie and Luka make that impossible. This is why we need Green and Sengun both, they can similarly shine when iso is needed and the floor is spread.

AroundTheWorld and Patience like this.
  15. Bo6

Bo6 Member

If anything we have a terrific personnel to throw doubles / traps because we are so athletic we can rotate easier with the speed we have, so I don't really understand the decision. Also comparing Luka to Jokic is completely different because of the rotations and type of player Jokic is. We didn't run Luka off the 3point line and make him work for his shot... Jokic cannot create separation on the perimeter and isn't doing step-back triples with regularity..

Bad gameplan but it's okay, we probably weren't winning that game no matter what we did. We really needed Alperen to be competitive last night.

16. JHarden713

JHarden713 Member

Didn't torch Amen, he defended him well every time he was on him. Luka scored maybe once over him but missed at least 3-4

Nook likes this.
  17. roxallways

roxallways Member
    Supporting Member

Hopefully Ime and the team learn from this the next time they play the Mavs or anyone who is constantly cooking them. Sometimes great players cook you no matter what but the Rox barely made Luka break a sweat with the terrible game plan against him. This was Ime’s first time coaching the Rox against Luka. Be interested to see how he coaches against him moving forward.

Aruba77 likes this.
  18. MystikArkitect

Oddly enough Luka wasn't the reason we lost this game. Amen/Green got completely neutralized and Dillon couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat.

19. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Luka was feeling it yesterday.

Nook likes this.
  20. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Whatever, Luka just torched every single defender we threw at him. Let's just move on. I feel like even if you doubled him we just get open layups all day long from other players we would be blown the f out
    Amen picked up two fouls in the first 2 minutes guarding Luka and had to be pulled. That kinda made everything go down hill