1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's so springy. I don't think I've seen a player of his size be so quick in vertical jumping. I think that's what made him a pretty elite defender and rebounder. Not just rookie-level elite, but NBA-level elite.

2. MystikArkitect

Amen will eventually move to PG either next year or the year after. FVV's physical limitations are starting to show more frequently.

This use for him should definitely be looked at in Detroit with his brother. They could theoretically run a similar lineup except the issue is they will never choose Ivey over Cade even though Ivey is the only one capable or breaking down a defense. They could get Cade to be bigger FVV maybe but he just doesn't have Fred's feel for the game or intelligence.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yeah I think Amen, Tari, Jabari will make FVV and Brooks obsolete. We shouldn’t wait till it’s too obvious.

I think we can use at least one more season of more-off-ball FVV on fewer minutes. That’s a hell of a rotation player with lots of great intangibles, passing, shooting, defense, championship experience. We can use 28-30 minutes of that since his contract is expiring.

At the same time, if we can upgrade with a star PG I would happily include him. I think only two-way players would fit.

Slim likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

He's got the potential to be a very good point guard down the road, but he's missing a couple key skills for that role right now - outside shooting and tight dribble moves. I've got to give props to the coaching staff. They started him as a backup PG but have since changed his role. They're using him perfectly by letting him go crash the boards and hang around the rim as a scoring threat when defenses lose track of him.

It still amazes me how often they forget him - his current greatest strength might be invisibility.

#944 Amiga, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
  5. PeppermintCandy

I have to admit, I did not think he'd be this good. He seems to have a high basketball IQ to go with his quick reaction time and elite athleticism.

And he kind of came off to me as a Charles Barkeley wanna be goofball in interviews before the start of the season. But he's actually very intense and driven to succeed. Fits right in with the culture that the Rockets are developing.

joshuaao, Hakeemtheking and Corpusfan like this.
  6. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He has been breaking down people off the dribble more and more. This loose handle stuff is being overblown. Amen is a superstar in the making and it will be as our primary ball handler. He does at least have to develop some semblance of an outside shot even though it doesn’t necessarily need to be a 3 pointer. We have an incredibly diverse set of individuals, teams are not going to be able to concentrate on just one or two guys next year.

7. MystikArkitect

Tari needs a respectable 3 pointer. It's not Tate bad but it's not Dillon Brooks. And until someone can shoot like Dillon, he's going to start. I much prefer a lineup with Amen/Green/Brooks/Jabari over the same lineup minus Brooks and plus Fred. Don't mind Tari being there as I feel like he's much better laterally than Dillon and has better paws for steals but his offensive game is miles worse than Dillon's. And until he can fix that he's going to be coming off the bench. Amen's a much better finisher around the basket as well as a threat in the open court.

Tari has a lot to work on still.

Little Bit likes this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. cheke64

cheke64 Member

I need the nba to glaze him the way they did Ausar

10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

@Os Trigonum I think you are going to have to make the media aware of what happens when Jock plays a major role.

#950 ElPigto, Mar 30, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 30, 2024
    Corrosion and Os Trigonum like this.
  11. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I have written to the President to see if we can get Jock honorary American citizenship . . . it's the least a grateful nation can do

ElPigto likes this.
  12. bluffkin

bluffkin Member

It looks like no one is surprised about this because we got a large sample size from Ausar and they are very similar

13. jayhow92

jayhow92 Member

With Sengun and Green, I don’t even think him being a point guard vs forward will even matter.

Defense and BBIQ (especially for off ball movement and rebounds) are extremely high for his age. Once he develops shooting and a tighter handle, he’s going to be dangerous.

14. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You really think LeBron wants Dillon Brooks on his team?

Laker also like Austin Reeves a lot and see him as a key reserve on a championship roster (if they can build one).

Lastly, why would a "win now" team like the Lakers want the #9 pick in the draft? They need upgrades, not depth or developmental players.

15. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

I get it you are probably right for sure. I just like Reeves as somebody for us. Obviously this scenario has Los Angeles shifting toward a rebuild or just thinking that they can get a guy with a higher ceiling than Reeves.

How about trade #9 to OKC for our pick back in 2024 and the satisfaction of all other future debt. Draft Bronny at 14 and them trade Adams+Brooks+Nets Assets for Lebron

Sengun/Jock
    Smith/Eason
    James/Cam
    Green
    FVV/Amen

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I don't think OKC wants a middling lottery pick either because they have more than enough very good young players. Soon, they must decide who to keep.

A rebuilding team wanting to unload a veteran player might want the pick. Example: The Nets should have enough sense by now to trade Mikal Bridges for whatever draft picks they can get (but I doubt the Rockets want him now).

There may be a package deal out there but don't be surprised if the Rockets keep the pick.

17. PatBev

PatBev Member

Amen is 1-2 year away from being the euro step king of this league

Hopefully next year he gets more ball handling duties as we transition away from FVV. Amen needs to start getting more reps driving to the basket

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

His outside shot is the weakness I think he needs to work on most.

Corrosion and kpdark like this.
  19. PatBev

PatBev Member

Duh but he can work on that on his own and I like how he takes at least 1 3 most games but his greatest strength will be driving in. He’ll either make the layup or pull the defense for a easy 3 when he is surrounded by Green, Cam, and Jabari on the perimeter

FVV won’t be here past next year most likely. Need to get Amen his reps

20. Ancient Moabite

Is a 63.6 ts% all NBA caliber?

Just asking for a dime empress, because the elite anti-Green club members haven't posted it lately

kpdark likes this.