1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I definitely underrated Brook's ability to create his own shot. He's actually decent getting into that mid post and working smaller defenders.

roslolian and AroundTheWorld like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I first saw it at the world cup.

j@amc and fchowd0311 like this.
  3. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

He had some nice scoring games in Oregon and at Memphis when he averaged close to 17/18 ppg.....

In his mind he is a scorer as well.....there is that. Playing for the best coach in his career.....

4. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Yeah, I wasn't paying attention then.

5. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I am almost certain he will make all-defensive first teams and maybe even win a DPOY or two before his career is done. He is a remarkable defensive player.

joshuaao and Mathloom like this.
  7. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

The thought of being able to trot out a lineup including him, Brooks and Tari is just so crazy.

I have learned to love Jock Landale, but if we could swap him for a really tall rim protecting shot blocker as the third string backup C, we could have a killer defensive lineup, to be used situationally.

#927 AroundTheWorld, Mar 29, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 29, 2024
    joshuaao, BaselineFade and OremLK like this.
  8. MystikArkitect

Sam basically saying that Amen's emergence is the reason that we're creating so many high leverage situations where the defenses have such little time to react. Ime has also implied that the Rockets wanted to play faster when Sengun was here so....one of Fred or Dillon is going to have to get relegated to the bench next year. Amen being the best rebounder on the team combined with breakneck speed, high IQ and obscene athleticism is a cheat code. Grabs rebound and it's off to the races and your defense isn't set. This isn't a Tyrese Maxey jitterbug type of player you're dealing with either. It's a 6-7 elite defender who can outrebound Chet Holmgren and Victor Wembanyama.

9. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I really thought eason was gonna relegate brooks to the bench but with the way amen has been playing i forsee it being sengun, smith, green, fvv, and amen. It could b recency bias though, since i haven't seen eason play in quite some time

Corrosion, OremLK and Mathloom like this.
  10. kpdark

kpdark Member

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

The 23-24 season is def th highlight of the Stone era we got Sengun and Green blowing up to become stars, Jabari redeeming himself from his bust rookie year, Cam balling and Amen breaking out to be one of the best defenders in the NBA in just his rookie year.

And Rox still have 1 or a small chance of 2 lotto picks incoming from the draft.

ArtV likes this.
  12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Should be permanent starter

Y2JT likes this.
  13. JW86

JW86 Member

Yeah I'm as high on Tari as anyone, but Amen clearly the favorite to take a starting position and even first wing off the bench over Tari. Even without the injury situation. The only thing Tari has is a jumpshot over Amen, I don't think he's better at anything else, which is not a knock on Tari, just that Amen is so gifted and just as hard working and tough as Tari.

BonziWellsGOAT likes this.
  14. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Team is a nightmare with Tari, Brooks, Amen, Green and Landale on the floor. Ultra defensive lineup with good offensive potential.

Green's defense as of late has been exceptional.

15. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

This is such a great problem to have. Essentially the Rockets are going to have the flexibility to run any line up they desire. The minutes are not even going to matter. I really would not trade anyone on this team right now and instead just continue to develop our chemistry. The team is positioned to be really really good next year.

Imagine a healthy Tari, Sengun, and Adams. Imagine a bulked up Smith, Green, and Thompson. Imagine an improved shooter in Thompson. Imagine a more team oriented Whitmore.

We have a ton of line up flexibility. We just need to be more consistent as a team hitting the three ball, but our team has an insane amount of line up flexibility as long as egos don't get in the way. Keep Brooks and FVV another couple of years man, no need to trade them away unless more talented veterans become available.

What a problem to have.

16. BonziWellsGOAT

Just imagine 48 minutes with at least one of those dudes on the court. Just a nightmare for opposing teams

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Again, I would trade Brooks just because there aren't anywhere near enough minutes to go around at small forward. I don't want to see the development stunted for our young guys who are so important to our future.

18. ricky-retardo

ricky-retardo Contributing Member

Amen is a Draymond Green but better at everything.

BaselineFade likes this.
  19. OremLK

OremLK Member

Draymond Green without the psychopathic tendencies but in MJ's body? :D I can dig.

Easy and BaselineFade like this.
  20. Summer Song Giver