1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Last chance for the Phoenix Suns -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

USSC decisions

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by NewRoxFan, Jun 15, 2020.

1. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Allowing an unconstitutional voting map to benefit republicans because of ussc delay...

2. NewRoxFan

The correct answer... kagan.

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. NewRoxFan

4. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

has this ever happened before?

5. NewRoxFan

6. NewRoxFan

7. NewRoxFan

8. basso

Supporting Member

Kyle does not sound like an impartial reporter.

9. NewRoxFan

Should have recused himself... but we know why he didn't...

FrontRunner and B-Bob like this.
  10. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Only a king with infinite immunity can force the Scrotes to recuse themselves

11. NewRoxFan

12. basso

Supporting Member

and he's wrong because...?

and it wasn't just Thomas, multiple other justices asked much the same thing.

13. NewRoxFan

Multiple other justices... multiple other maga justices...

Here's the maga storyline...

14. basso

Supporting Member

but the other justices do not have a wife who is accused of being a J6-er. so, your argument that Thomas will overturn because of his wife falls flat in the face of the other justices' opinions.

15. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

the left attempts to delegitimize all political opposition, and Thomas is no exception

his legal arguments are hardly engaged with at all

basso likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Poking my head into this thread... and I've learned whole new things about conflict of interest.

I was always told, like in jury duty, that if (e.g.) a policeman is involved in the case in any way, and I am related to the policeman, including by marriage, then I have to admit this and I am not appropriate for the jury in this case. I would be automatically recused. Even if "tried my best" to be impartial, the appearance is what we must avoid for society to trust the verdict. That always made sense to me.

But now Clutchfans experts telling me we have to update this: Not only can I be placed on the jury now if I'm like a brother to an investigator or conspirator in a trial, but I can prove that I'm unbiased if any other single juror votes the same way I vote. This is amazing. Basically a new law:

Conflict of interest only exists if the person with the appearance of a conflict votes in the opposite way of every other judge and/or juror involved in the case. - Clutchfans experts.

So a SC justice minimizing an attack on an election certification process is completely fine because another justice had a similar take. It's only a problem if every single other justice had the opposite take. Nice! Y'all have found a great way to basically eliminate conflict of interest for ever. We can all serve on family members' jury trials, or have uncles who are judges forgive speeding tickets, etc, as long as we can't find a case where every single other person involved would disagree with the decision.

Wow! :D:eek:

JeeberD, Xopher, Andre0087 and 2 others like this.
  17. NewRoxFan

So... the fact that his wife was actively involved in the insurrection shouldn't be a factor in whether he should recuse himself? Not surprising from a trump supporter.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  18. NewRoxFan

Corruption is now a feature...

B-Bob likes this.
  19. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

oh snap, Gorsuch went there

https://www.reuters.com/world/us/us...tion-case-with-trump-implications-2024-04-16/

Conservative Justice Neil Gorsuch appeared wary that a broad reading of the law could encroach on non-violent protests, emphasizing the maximum penalty of 20 years in prison under the obstruction charge.

"Would a sit-in that disrupts a trial, or access to a federal courthouse, qualify?" Gorsuch asked Prelogar. "Would a heckler in today's (Supreme Court) audience qualify, or at the State of the Union address? Would pulling a fire alarm before a vote qualify?"

20. NewRoxFan

Except... it wasn't the U.S. Capital Building, nor was it intended to delay the peaceful transfer of power of the presidency, and in fact, the fire alarm wasn't even in the same building. And of course, January 6 wasn't "non-violent". But sure, other than all that maga justice... they were exactly the same.

FranchiseBlade likes this.