1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Let's Talk Baylor Basketball

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by sammy, Dec 31, 2009.

1. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Not great, Bob

2. MadMax

BEAT TOOTHPASTE!

3. MadMax

They looked good.

4. MadMax

I’m seeing Baylor picked by 4.5. Gonna be a tough one, I think.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

Another Baylor assistant gets his own team. That Scott Drew coaching tree continues to expand

MadMax likes this.
  6. MadMax

Do ya think so, doctor?

7. Buck Turgidson

Who's the Smart Guy?

MadMax likes this.
  8. MadMax

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  9. Buck Turgidson

OK...

Did he say "...big brain on Brad" ...or "big brain on Brett?"

10. MadMax

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Okay Baylor BBall fans. Please don’t make me pick through this entire thread to find out why there are so many people who are high on Ja’Kobe Walter. Compartmentalize your homerism: is this guy worth picking #9? Is he even a lotto pick? I don’t see it; what am I missing?

12. MadMax

I thought he played really well against UH…which is saying something when you consider that defense. He disappeared in the last game.

He’s super young…honestly, I’m not sure. Someone will pick him in the to 12 or so, for sure, I think. He’s the kind of guy I wish would come back another year to refine his game, but hard to argue for that given the money

Aruba77 likes this.
  13. YOLO

YOLO Member

he has a pro level shot. Being very young still, his size and length also translates to what the modern era of the nba is. It's a weak draft.

Would he benefit from returning to college and continue to develop? Of course. But the reality of turning down being guaranteed to be picked in the lottery at the highest level of basketball is something that doesn't get passed on often

MadMax likes this.
  14. MadMax

Scott Drew to Kentucky?

on one hand...the whole culture of JOY (Jesus Others You) ain't gonna fly at Kentucky. You either win there or you're gone. His leash at Baylor is super long.

on the other...it's freaking Kentucky. what an opportunity if you're asked!! Plus a boatload of cash.

I'm in the distinct minority about Drew amongst Baylor fans. First, I think he's a great human being who genuinely cares about the kids he coaches and their families. I don't think that's act, and he should be credited for that. Second, I'm insanely grateful for what he built there given where it was when he took over. It's insane to think he took that to a natty, and if he drinks beer, he'd never have to pay for one around me. Hell, I'd buy him a Dr. Pepper if he prefers.

OTOH...I feel like BU has probably plateaued in mens hoops. I think we had an incredible run helped by a "chip on your shoulder" from the kids who stuck around in 2021 because they couldn't prove to everyone they were the best team in the nation in 2020 due to COVID. I'd love to be wrong about that, obviously. His teams are often out-worked...I loathe that. And the X's and O's aren't great. Recruiting is off the charts good.

Drew is the Vegas favorite to be the next head coach at UK. Not sure Baylor would look to poach. Maybe Tang from Kansas State...he's the logical fit, I think, provided he's willing to leave.

#1554 MadMax, Apr 8, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 8, 2024
  15. MadMax

If my friend McCasland ends up at Baylor it will be the second most excited I’ve ever been about Baylor hoops and first was when we won a natty

16. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Billy Clyde Gillispie II.

I'm actually sad to see it. 21 years is a hell of a run. I hope he fails spectacularly, just like Billy Clyde did.

17. MadMax

Waco Trib reporter saying that Scott has told staff he will let them know by Thursday…tomorrow.

18. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

He might actually turn them down. I think the longer it goes the better the chances are that he sticks around Waco. Kentucky has been a bad choice for more than a few coaches in the past. If he's smart he'll see that and resist the temptation.

19. MadMax

20. Buck Turgidson

MadMax and raining threes like this.