1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The idiots are out for sure.
    Only an absolute moron thinks this team is better without its best player.
    Literally no one in the league agrees with that point.
    Fake ass fans

2. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yes summed up quite nicely in a thread literally about hating Sengun lol YES Show me a post where a forum hates a player playing well and dropping career highs and triple doubles I'll ****ing wait. And they did the same to Harden when he was putting up MVP numbers this place has been addicted to choosing one star player and hating on the others. Its the ****ing theme of this entire board. The OP is a guy who is jealous of Sengun because he chooses for some reason to be a Jalen only stan (probably just to have something to argue about) Now that Jalen doesnt suck he's trying to punish Sengun instead of just being happy his guy playing better. He is BLAMING Sengun for how Jalen played because hes a no life troll like half the people on this shitty ass board. **** people is what I call you sometimes on X.

clos4life and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Well in an idiotic way the team does look more balanced. Look Sengun is a great player but he wasn't leading this team nowhere fast.

4. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

I think the question should be is Sengun the best player.

Right now, Jalen is playing incredible. It is definitely equal to how Sengun started the year because basiaclly whenever the team needs offense they go to Jalen and he provides.

In no way possible is the team better without Sengun though.

I think its a coincidence because FVV has played better too and he was playing like trash and Sengun was generating open shots for guys.

So yeah I think it's silly to make these final conclusions. All that needs to happen is for each of these guys to let the other cook depending on the game. FVV, Jalen, Sengun, are going to have the most usage so they just have to learn how to support each other better.

I think it'll be fine next year. Jalen needs to hit his set shots so that he's more effective and useful when Sengun is posting up and Sengun probably needs to cut down on bringing the ball up the court off rebounds (which he's good at for sure but not better than Green and Amen pushing the pace) these two mentality changes along with just normal rotational minutes should make the Rockets a much better team.

Rocket fans should be happy that one, Sengun's injury is minor and he'll be 100% back to his old self next season barring any other complications and two The Rockets grew during this period.

Because when you think about it, missing Sengun, Whitemore, and Tari it's crazy the team looks as solid as it does with how little depth it has and also we've found great value in Jock as well so play-ins or not this really is perfect going into next season.

People should just enjoy the ride, we'll worry about the chemistry next year, it's definitely a good problem to have.

We could be Detroit...

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Sengun was a part of this streak and current style of play. The team looks better because of shot making, end of story.
    The results would be the same with Alp out there, specially against the teams we’ve been playing

Ancient Moabite and Zen Tabak like this.
  6. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Get the **** out of here then, stop whining like a little b****, nobody is forcing you to participate in an online chit chat room

topfive and Dobbizzle like this.
  7. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

You are correct, Jabari is not a center and I never said he was. But they are playing him there during this streak and it has allowed the team to play 5 out.

If you noticed, I said a player who can play like him. A player who can spread the court. Jokic allows Denver to play 5 out on occasions or he can post up when needed. Same with Embiid. And because Landale has a 3pt shot, I think he allows the Rockets to play more 5 out too. He has surprised me!

When people say " BEST PLAYER", Its not about that. Its about FIT. I hope Sengun can come back this season, so we don't have to have this debate all Summer.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One, fit matters for your best player.
    Two, shooters and slashers fit around Alp so it’s a moot point.
    Nothing is stopping the team from running when Alp is out there. He’s arguably the best passer and rebounder on the team so the break should be open.
    Spacing and playing “5 out” are two different things. This team isn’t a 5 out-iso team. It can be ran at times, but doesn’t have the personnel to run full time. Nor should it, it’s not a productive system.
    Having multiple facets and offensive ways to score is a good thing. Jalen needs to keep up his shooting to prove he can be the 2nd guy with Alp

JayGoogle, Hemingway and Joe Rocket like this.
  9. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

No. I didn't say that.

They are shooting identical shots. That's why there is no data link b/n Sengun out and team shooting % or team success. The only tangible link is better shot making. Same shots. Same quality. Same degree of openness. Same distance from closest defenders.

What I said was, if you can show a link b/n Alpi out and the team getting higher quality shots, then that's a true cause-effect. I've been searching for this data but from my handful of subs and public sites I can't find data which supports this.

On Defense there are some things. Opponents shoot way better vs us from Corner 3's and top of the key when Alpi is in. These may be early signs of slow/incomplete rotations or simple lack of foot speed/matchup optimization. They don't happen when Alpi is out, so that's something I watch carefully. He's improved as an individual defender and as a team defender in the paint...outside the paint still issues.

Joe Rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

**** YOU b**** IM NOT GOING ANYWHERE. IM GOING STAY RIGHT THE **** HERE AND TALK **** TO YOU AND THESE FAKE ASS FANS AND TROLLS ANY WAY I CAN AND AINT **** YOU CAN DO ABOUT IT. **** OFF

11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

The trolls want it to be true so bad but it just isnt. Its a ****ing sad pathetic excuse for a fanbase.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  12. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Pace is only relevant to avg unless the distribution is extremely skewed or you have an abnormally large standard deviation.

Here's the comp vs Avg. What you think you see now, is what Ime put in to the offense around the New year. Shots going in give you that feel...it's just the eye test failing you. Each month of 2024 we are almost exactly +1.5% faster than league avg.

Dude I think what you wrote has a log of logic attached. It's just you threw out like 15 things w/ no data supporting any of them. If you have some that would be great. Many of these are key points to explore.

Playing at the same pace vs avg as Jan-Feb. In fact on an absolute basis playing slower in March than Dec-Feb but absolute can be misleading owing to league-wide trends. But it's just to show that the eye test can really fail. It feels to you like they are just flat out playing faster every game when in reality they are slower than for all of Dec-Feb avg.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  13. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Narrative: Rocket's are playing better without Alp.
    Reality: Rockets win streak started before Alp got hurt.

The Rockets were 5-1 from March 2 - 10th, when Alp was playing.
    The Rockets were 7-0 since March 11, after the injury.

Not sure why folks are saying they are better without Seguin?

Three years in a row now, Jalen plays better in March than he does in November.

cmoak1982 and Joe Rocket like this.
  14. TheJet

TheJet Member

Fixed it for you. Clutchfans as a forum doesn't hate Sengun. Just like Clutchfans as a forum didn't hate Harden. A subset of Lin fans did, and a small minority of Sengun doubters carry this opinion now. With the popularity of the site you're going to get outliers, that's just the internet for ya.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  15. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

The three years in a row sht needs context, folks always like using it against jalen to downplay what's he's currently doing.
    the first two years green popped off but that led to nothing but inflated stats which folks used to btch about green
    This year green popped off which led to winning games and pushing for play-in.

Funny how you would point out folks not typing out the context about sengun and proceeds to do the same exact sht to green and wonder why?

16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Yes I know this thats why I call them trolls problem is no other fanbase has such "outliers". And these outliers as you call them can do lots of damage to the community and to the team if its carried to media which it has been. We dont have the smartest GM and he has already stupidly tried to trade Jalen I dont want him to try to do the same with Sengun. We have two young future stars it seems and everyone should be happy but no not here in the rockets fandom butthole.

17. topfive

topfive CF OG

Unredacted version:
    [​IMG]

#517 topfive, Mar 27, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2024
  18. Ancient Moabite

And therein lies the difference and media-hyped created narratives

I agree the Rockets a overall and stronger/better team with AS in tow

But the three years in a row cliche ends with first two Silas comatose seasons of no structure nd those years they were tanking for Banchero (and other top 2) and Wemby so they had no player on those rosters saying ''we want to win out and make play-in (off)'' like Amen spoke on in recent post game clip

So Jalen is playing WC POM (w/ weekly award) caliber with the playoffs on the line, those are two diff pressure situations, and he is doing it without their best low post player, and who got the most all star consideration, which is why most are shocked the Rockets are doing this without their said best player

So the stakes are higher and he is delivering in this moment

Which is why some media pundits have been saying he is playing at all NBA level and are placing him on their personal current best player rankings, and he is a possible Finalist for WC POM, which is a big deal for him (and Rockets success)

Green was not spoken highly like that first two seasons at this point of the season

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. BONIERO1576

BONIERO1576 Member

We're not better without him, we just need to re-evaluate our best offensive sets. It seems that the beginning of the season the order was:

1. FVV in the pick and roll
    2. Sengun in the high post
    3. Green iso against the the bench players

We basically just have to swap out 2 and 3 with Sengun high post being the primary set while Green is on the bench. I think that will produce a better attack and better defense from the starting squad.

Bo6 and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The Rockets need this Jalen

Ancient Moabite likes this.