1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Yes and no. And this is another good point. We’ve blown out several teams recently, which resulted in us slowing things down towards the end of the game, which negatively impacts our pace. That partially explains why great teams like the Celtics don’t always have the fastest “pace.” It’s not like the Celtics can’t run.

Therein lies another point — there’s the statistical “pace,” and there’s the pace that’s harder to define. Are we fast on fast breaks? Are we pushing the ball hard, forcing defenses to collapse? Are we moving the ball well around the perimeter? Etc.

2. TheJet

TheJet Member

I was about to post the same thing. Both sides here are making factually correct statements, it's the conclusions that are being argued. Absolute pace hasn't changed much but relative pace has. They're both important to note and both can impact why the team "looks" to be playing differently. Competition level also has to be considered. And shot making is clearly a factor. But are we simply making more shots in a vacuum or is something else contributing to the shot making? Is the same offense being run differently by players of different skillsets? Has anything else changed?

These are all valid questions and it's interesting to see the debate, but I seriously doubt most people would call us objectively "better" without Sengun. I think we're currently playing better, but not simply because of subtraction.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s nothing wrong with what you said. And that is the crux of it all.
    There should be no one claiming we’re a better team without Alp, which is happening in this thread.
    Be happy the rest of the team is on a hot streak, it will only benefit everyone when Alp comes back.

4. TheJet

TheJet Member

My secret hope (and let's hope I didn't jinx it) is that everything is finally clicking for JG. I don't expect this stretch to be his norm, but if he's going to perform closer to this end of the spectrum than his career arc I think we'd all be thrilled. That's the kind of player you can build on and around (In addition to Sengun's obvious value).

topfive and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Agreed, if this is his norm, he’s the perfect pairing for Alp at guard

clos4life likes this.
  6. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

If Jalen can be a 25+ ppg scorer with Sengun on decent efficiency while hitting, say, 37% of his 3s, then this rebuild is basically over. That pairing plus complementary pieces such as Smith, Amen, Whitmore, and Eason will put us in a good position for a long time. Not to mention the Nets’ picks as the cherry on top.

topfive, TheJet, Zen Tabak and 4 others like this.
  7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I guess your sarcasm meter is broken.

8. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

This is the part I dont get. I've never seen a fanbase so intent on trying destroy an allstar level talent. Only Rockets fans do this. You try this **** with any other fanbase and you'll be banned from every site and not allowed in the community. We have some of the worst fans who dont even show up to games. Its one thing if Alpi was playing bad but he literally just dropped a career high during a winning streak. It makes no sense.

htownborn34, cmoak1982 and clos4life like this.
  9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Typical fake fans tbh

Joe Rocket likes this.
  10. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

I guess bc u are new here u did not see the amount of anti harden we had on this forum and that man is arguably top 5 if not top 2 player to grace a Rockets uniform.

apollo33, topfive and cmoak1982 like this.
  11. topfive

topfive CF OG

Not only that, but literally every fan base of every professional sports teams has fans who hate some of the team's best players and want them benched or traded. Not just the Rockets, but every other one. It stops briefly if a team wins a title, then starts up again the first time they hit a bad stretch afterward. Nothing new at all.

CF has had anti-Dream, anti-Yao, anti-TMac, anti-Harden... it never ends, and it never will. EVERY sports fan base is like this. We're not special.

TheJet likes this.
  12. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

Bullshit Im on other forums because I want to see what they say about us. And only time you see that is if a player is playing like ass over weeks and weeks. You never see that for someone who is allstar level never. Most of the other boards hate their coaches and want them fired they dont go after the stars. You see OKC fans saying their better without Chet? No the **** you dont. Ive never seen an anti Joker post in a Nuggets forum in my life. This is the only board that argues like this and betrays its players in this way. Its why Harden got so much hate from the media cuz the insanity from this board spilled over just like it is for Sengun now. All the talk about the Rockets being better without Sengun is coming from Rockets fans. This place is a ****ing cesspool. Clutchfans is the original Onlyfans.

#492 Joe Rocket, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  13. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

I don’t quite get it either, especially when he’s clearly the best player on the team. Me personally I’m not a fan of neither Alpi or Jalen I’m a Rockets fan first and I’m all for what works for the team. I remember not liking the comment that Shaq made about getting Sengün to the Lakers but I guess he may be right they’ll appreciate him more than some of our fans but then again we are talking about Laker fans lol

ThaRavenOfSanJack and cmoak1982 like this.
  14. topfive

topfive CF OG

[​IMG]
    Gotcha. It's just ClutchFans. None of the fanbases of the other 153 pro sports teams in the USA do this at all.

And this board is just filled with hate for Sengun. Okay, then.

It all makes perfect sense now.

Os Trigonum likes this.
  15. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The team is clearly better without Sengun mainly bc of the style of play is harder to game plan against. You have 5 guys that can spread the floor out, which opens things up for Jalen. Sengun's post up are rythm killers

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The team clearly needs its best player back as soon as possible. Alp will lead the team in the playoffs

17. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

By some of the logic here, one would have to assume we're also a better team without Tari Eason as well.

And we should all know that's not true. Just enjoy the success and hope for the best from all our guys. It doesn't need to be like this.

18. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I think its pace but more so SPACE! I have been advocating for both but I think its the spacing that has been the main reasoning behind the win streak and Jalen's recent development.

I think it was especially noticeable in the game last night. With Jabari out the spacing was terrible initially, as stated in the video at the 15:00.mark.

Having Jabari or a center similar allows the Rockets to play 5 OUT! I think its going to be interesting to see what develops this summer depending on how the season ends and which direction the Rockets decides to go. Spacing is going to be the key.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Jabari is not a center. And the league is moving away from small ball.

20. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Not a correct comparison. Tari is defender, Sengun is nowhere near it. The team is thriving with defensive ball pressure & spacing, Sengun is a space killer with no jumpshot. The best version of the Rockets is one without Sengun