1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

The pace has been different. We’ve been a top 10 pace team since Sengun’s injury, whereas we were bottom half or so before then.

2. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Yeah because Jalen is playing terrible now.

3. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

They had never started blowing teams out until Alpis injury. Plus they are doing it every game. Also the Rockets are missing players too.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  4. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

So terrible. What does he even do well other than make lucky shots? When he’s not doing that one thing, he’s the entire reason for every loss this season. He can only make up for it with 164 consecutive good games otherwise we should trade him. We can never forgive him for not developing early.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  5. gfab-babyboi

gfab-babyboi Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Use the run and gun system to build leads and then feed Alpi in post to maintain leads ..

Rockets have a lot of rhythm players - they play better when they are involved and touch the ball … standing around while FVV - Alpi runs PnR over and over or dumping it in post and waiting to catch and shoot = out of rhythm / poor % which added to poor spacing

Alpi going down let defense switch more with Bari at C … lanes opened up (FVV and Jalen drives per game are way up ) JG is handling ball more which helps him get in a groove.. Rockets corner 3s are up because of more spacing

Using Alpi more in mid post (where they have Amen a lot) could work depends on how much defense sag near rim (Think Brown with Portland tonight )

duluth111222 and harold bingo like this.
  6. Rokman

Rokman Member

What we are seeing during this period without Sengun is how much more diversity the offense has and is capable of throwing at defenses. Not only does the team have one of the most potent low post players who can dish the ball and be a vacuum for defenders leaving wide open shooters (if they can hit their shots) but they can also play at an all out pace and run and gun. Fans should be looking at this as a blessing in terms of entertainment and diversity of offensive lineups and schemes the Rockets are able to throw out there.

The present is bright and the future looks awesome.

BaselineFade, BamBam and Mathloom like this.
  7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No they haven’t.

Their season pace of 99.64 would be top 10 over the last 8 games.
    They went from 99.64 to 100.38 in an 8 game stretch. The pace is virtually identical. And individual pace is virtually identical on the season by player.
    The Rockets are running the exact same sets, plays and defense as they have been.
    The only difference is shot making. First half last night they didn’t make shots, second half they did.

#387 cmoak1982, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
    BamBam likes this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

It's been a while but they definitely were early in the year. We beat the kings by 20 and 25, Lakers by 34, Memphis by 20, and Denver by 20 all in our first 15 games. And this was with both Jalen and Sengun playing.

coachbadlee and BamBam like this.
  9. Houston77

Supporting Member

You can profess whatever you want, but the numbers tell the tale. Scoring is down across the league post All-Star break, but our relative pace has significant increased after Sengun’s injury.
    IMG_2840.jpeg

IMG_2839.png

Mathloom likes this.
  10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You realize that says they’re at a slower pace the last 8 games right?

You literally just proved my point lol

11. Houston77

Supporting Member

Are you at all familiar with what’s going on in the nba? You should know as a fan. Post All-Star break, a memo went out regarding enforcement of fouls, which has cratered scoring. So, you can’t look at aggregreate numbers, but rather relative pace as compared to the league. And I’m sorry, anyone with eyes should see that our pace had ticked up with Amen in the lineup for Sengun.

coachbadlee and gfab-babyboi like this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Pace isn’t relative, specially in a small sample size. Pace is pace. Possessions are possessions.
    It’s called confirmation bias, you’re seeing what you want to see.
    The numbers don’t back it up. You literally just posted that they are at a slower pace the last 8 games.

13. Houston77

Supporting Member

Whatever you say, we went from 13th overall in pace to fifth, but we’re actually slower in pace. The rule changes haven’t impacted pace league wide at all despite it cratering since AS Break. Makes a lot of sense.

ApacheWarrior and Mathloom like this.
  14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Rankings have nothing to do with it, specially in a small sample size. Pace is pace.

I’m glad we are winning and playing well. But if want to play the “reasons” game. It’s shooting and level of competition. That is it. We need to keep it up, and to be able to win in the playoffs you need your best player, Sengun

15. Joe Willie

Joe Willie Member

After reading some of this you’d think Sengun and the rest of the team played on different teams. Crazy.

dream2clips likes this.
  16. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’ve consistently said we’re a better team with Sengun. But we’re not the same team. It’s ludicrous to suggest otherwise, or to imply that Sengun spent as much time on the parameter as Smith does when he plays center.

Look at their two best games. In Sengun’s 45 point game, virtually all his points came from either dump offs down low or PNR sets. With Jalen’s most recent 42 point game, most of the offense was generated with him and Smith at the parameter, which created more space. It’s silly to say the team hasn’t changed. It has.

#396 Houston77, Mar 26, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2024
  17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Running the same sets. Not much of a different shot profile. The difference is shots are being made.
    Amen is running the “center” position on offense. Jabari has been doing what he’s done all season.
    Adding Alp only strengthens the space for our shooters. And with them making their shots, it helps them not double Alp. These are all good things.
    I’m just pointing out that the only difference over this winning streak (including when Alp was in) is shot making

18. Houston77

Supporting Member

I’m sorry, but I just don’t agree. Do you really think we are running as many PNR sets since Alpy went down? Or generating as much points from dump off iso plays down low? We aren’t. We just aren’t.

Mathloom likes this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

This is not true at all. The paint is way more frequently empty or spacious. We run more. We produce from the perimeter more. We attack in transition more. We don’t create from the post. Jabari and Amen are setting more screens.

We have put our players in positions where their athleticism becomes relatively more important than their skills or strength. Skying for rebounds, rising for dunks, running the break.

We may be running some of the same sets but the results speak for themselves. Running it this particular way makes more shots go in. Attributing it to luck is not an answer.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  20. Houston77

Supporting Member

Jalen Green’s usage rate the last five games has been almost 32% whereas it is around 27% on the season. The idea that we’re the exact same offense without Sengun is laughable. For better or worse, the offense now runs far more through Green and far more from the parameter.

coachbadlee and gfab-babyboi like this.