1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

It's both

Alpi was playing better defense before he went down too

I mean, hell, the play where he got injured really exemplfied it--he got back for a huge contest on a fast break and came down badly from it.

We got over some kind of young player wall and everybody locked in

clutchdabear and Joe Rocket like this.
  2. CXbby

CXbby Member

Is this an actual discussion that goes on for 19 pages lol?

No the team is not better. We are beating up on easier competition. After tonight’s game we will face tough opponents in the next 7 out of 8 games. Credit to Jalen for playing better, easier competition or not, it’s good to know this is still in him. I think he’s shown enough now to invest more time in him and see if we can get both him and Sengun going off at the same time. No team in their right mind would trade their best young player, who played the best ball of the season right before getting hurt, just because another young player who was having a disappointing season started playing better after. What kind of perverse logic is required for that? Instead we should just be celebrating that Jalen has turned a corner, instead of pitting one player against another.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Again. They aren’t playing any different. The same sets, the same pace, same shots.
    The only difference is making shots.
    Numbers back it up, and watching and understanding basketball proves it.

Those thinking they’re playing different because Alp is out are/were biased to begin with. Confirmation bias is real

4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

OP is literally a Jalen Stan who posted it to bash Sengun. Its his entire point in life and he's been doing it for months.

clutchdabear and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. verysimplejason

I'm not saying Alpi's the reason why shooting of Rockets is worse with him. I think you already told us that the Rockets right now is playing with higher percentage shots. Don't you think that's good enough explanation? Alpi might not be the entire reason. Rockets may have benefitted with a different system since Alpi's not around. When Alpi's back, if he can play with the new system, then all is good. I think you're mistaken that I hate Alpi. No, that's not the case. What I want is for him to adapt his game for the betterment of the whole team. It's always like that for all players except those truly exceptional ones like MJ, Kobe, Olajuwon, Shaq and other superstars. Alpi's not yet there with them to taylor everybody's game to his. Right?

6. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Like I said. Shot making

7. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Imagine how bad we would be beating these teams with our best player on the court.
    Will be nice when he comes back and leads this team in the playoffs

12. verysimplejason

:p:p:p

13. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

So, the shots weren't falling, there was foul trouble and all kinds of things going wrong. Yet, again another blowout win that would not have been if Sengun were here smothering the teams progress with his greatness.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Are we better without Tari, Cam, Jabari??? Give Landale Supermax

tagedieb and Ancient Moabite like this.
  15. HookemHorns1250

Do I think we are better with out Sengun? No. Do I think Sengun’s lack of 3 point shooting hurts Jalen? Of course. Both can be true.

To get the best out of both, Sengun has to develop an average 3 point shot.

dream2clips and Mathloom like this.
  16. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I think Jalen's three point shooting hurt Jalen because before the allstar break Jalen Green shot terrible with wide open threes. There is no stat anywhere that says the Rockets are more open wihtout their best passer.

dream2clips and clutchdabear like this.
  17. Ancient Moabite

Such the perfect elixir, it cures all, like winning

cmoak1982 likes this.
  18. Gergin

Gergin Member

You really believe a blowout would not be possible with Alpi against a Blazers team that is missing Brogdon, Simons, Ayton, Grant and Sharpe?

BamBam and harold bingo like this.
  19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Yes but Jalen needs to develop a better 3pt shot to create space and support for Sengun’s post game.

Green can also learn a lot from Fred/Alpi running a professional and crisp PnR.

It will come.

dream2clips and cmoak1982 like this.
  20. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Sengun will be vital on do or die possessions. The ability to score that baby hook on anyone at any given time will win important games for this team. Having 3 level scorers around him with some playmaking ability that commit to defense will bring home hardware for this franchise. If Sengun becomes a threat outside of 10 feet this team is unguardable.