1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons Podcast] Houston’s Surprise Surge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Mar 25, 2024.

1. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Volume scoring guards are historically some of the slowest developing players in league history. How many guys have come in the league and immediately been efficient on high volume? Booker's volume and splits were similar his first 3 years, Beal didn't manage to break 52% TS (tbf I assume this was more due to his low FTA) until his third year in the league. Mitchell also similar through first 3 seasons. The difference is most teams don't quit on those players after having a bad half season, this forum turns on players so quickly it's insane, I've checked it off and on for 12-13~ years. It's like some sort of completely unearned sense of entitlement. Look at how many people would completely trash Harden the moment he had a bad game while posting historically great offensive seasons, or how happy they were to tear into him the second it became clear he may leave. He took us to the playoffs every single season he was here, and that still isn't enough for many posters lmao. Immediate positive result or unimpeded negativity is a guarantee here

2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Bill Simmons is a bum.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Pull up the game logs/box scores for wins vs playoff teams. Jalens done his thing vs good teams too. Having him understand his role and not acquiesce to the other players on the team will work in everyones favor.

Ancient Moabite and Zen Tabak like this.
  4. Yinka Dare

Yinka Dare Member

I love how BS (Bill Simmons) can also mean Bullshit, which is his go to most of the time.

roslolian likes this.
  5. highpost1388

highpost1388 Member

They don't care bro. The negativity is the only thing that gives them that sense of feeling superior to those "dumb" fans who believe in the team and stay positive. If you believe in the team (or players), that can only get you so far before you're "wrong."

Doomers meanwhile can constantly move the goal posts back and play innocent. "I didn't see he sucked, I said he was playing bad THEN" knowing they said to trade him and he's a bust. Or if he does keep this up, they can switch to "Well it's the end of the year, I need to see him doing it in the beginning of a season." Then it's "oh well, he needs to do it consistently for a year" and then "well I need to see it in the playoffs" all the way to the championship. And when we do win one, it'll be "Well all he had to do was listen to my advice on CF, so see, my constructive criticism helped!"

They win no matter what if they're going to keep hating because being "right" is more important to them than enjoying the team.

6. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Slightly disagree. We already knew that shot selection was one of Jalen's negatives. And we knew Alpi's range was a spacing issue.

What it has taught me is that at least for a 10-12 game stretch Jalen Green can be the Rockets Numero U....ah **** too much CF; Jalen can lead a time. He can be the focus of the offense, you can build a really fun and exciting playstyle around him, and you can win.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

He is a bandwagoner, was one of Jalen's biggest haters the past 3 yrs now compares him to Kobe.

He also led his pod off with the Rox in the past when he said **** Jalen Green, it completely took his cohost KoC off guard since it was so out of the blue.

The entire Ringer team is full of guys just there for clicks with 0 consistency and accountability. KoC has Reed Shepherd no 1 in mock draft...who would do that and why would editorial team allow that? Esp after KoC had Killian Hayes no 1 as well? BS just keeps rbling on about niche movies and references that don't have anything to do with bball. I'm surprised people still take him seriously like you.

8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Its so easy to look back and say someone said something in the past about a player they didn't like. Especially when that player sucked, like Jalen Green did. People can change their minds when players play better. But if you want to be mad about the Rockets getting mainstream coverage because not everybody was always on Jalen Green's side, go ahead.

I am just happy he is spotlighting this team. He has liked us all year even before this run, and it is a huge moment for the rebuild. I choose to be happy about that, instead of whining about how people didn't like Jalen Green when he was bad.

9. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

It’s fair to think Green may develop into a superstar, but comparing him to Harden is apples to oranges. Harden was great from the very first 2 games he suited up as a Rocket. Look at the stats. Jalen Green has been…. Inconsistent.

Corrosion and MystikArkitect like this.
  10. PhiSlammaJamma

He was stuffed into a blender, and now he's saving lives. The Torch has been passed. Kobe II.

#30 PhiSlammaJamma, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  11. MystikArkitect

Can't compare Harden or Green at all. Jalen has been a mostly inefficient and ineffective player during his time with the Rockets and this stint in March of 2024 has been the only period of his entire *career* where he's shown he can play high level NBA ball. Harden was a perennial All NBA player the minute he put on a Rockets uniform and was a 6MOY in OKC.

There are two camps when it come to his "haters". Those that outright hate Jalen no matter what he does (very few) and the others that aren't going to get duped into thinking he's finally turned the corner out of fear that he goes on a 60 game stinker again only to turn it on after the ASB. I was in the Jalen camp for a long time but ultimately had enough this year. He's playing great right now. He needs to do it for a full season. Extension should be off the table this summer unless they can get him in at a team friendly deal that you wouldn't mind paying a 6th Man with a team option 4th year like they did with Dillon.

Arnel, Y2JT, Corpusfan and 1 other person like this.
  12. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

For the record, I have been saying his career trajectory is like TMacs...

13. Nook

Nook Member

"Jalen Green is a piece of ***** that should be in the Filipino League as a bench warmer." - Bill Simmons

"Jesus Christ, Jalen Green is a bi-racial Angel - he is like a smoother and more advanced Kobe clone." - Bill Simmons

Deuce, Invisible Fan, Arnel and 6 others like this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I just got done listening to this and pretty much everything has been covered except for one thing, later on in the pod Bill also suggests Jalen Green for most improved player

burlesk likes this.
  15. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Last year this clown said that taking Green over Mobley was a "catastrophe" :rolleyes:

burlesk likes this.
  16. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

17. burlesk

burlesk Serious business
    Supporting Member

Well, wouldn't we have to look at on/off numbers, though? I'mma see if I can find them. On/off being a much better metric than straight +/-, as well, as I understand it...

Comparing how the team does when he plays VERSUS when he doesn't, rather than just how the team does when he plays.

#37 burlesk, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    dream2clips likes this.
  18. Streakshooter

Streakshooter Member

Bill Simmons is an idiot. It takes no degree of "basketball genius" to applaud a player when he's doing well.

I have no idea why we're still giving him attention on this board.

burlesk, topfive and Nook like this.
  19. topfive

topfive CF OG

Get ready, because he probably won't look quite as good against good teams. But that's because most guys looks worse against better defenses. That's kind of the way defense works.

duluth111222 likes this.
  20. duluth111222

duluth111222 I.D.I.O.T

In all fairness, at least he’s giving credit when it’s due. Many people on this board can’t even do that.

clos4life likes this.