1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Bee Hive problem

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ElPigto, Mar 25, 2011.

Tags:
  1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

@JuanValdez - please pass on my sincere thanks for her help!

The bees don’t bother me. My wife is allergic to insect venom. She had some immunotherapy from an allergy MD but couldn’t finish the cycle because she got pregnant (whoopsie), but that did help somewhat and she won’t go into anaphylaxis now, although it is extremely painful for her and she has a reaction and any stings swell up a lot. We do have epi pens as well.

Biggest issue is that they’re in the attic. I called some bee farmers (Stoope Farms) I know in Pearland and they should be able to come out today.

ROCKSS and Buck Turgidson like this.
  2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Back to the real JV here. I would wonder if your beekeeper really did a proper job the first time around if they keep coming back. From what I understand, by the time you know they're in the house, the problem is already severe. If they remove only most of the hive, it might look like the problem is solved for awhile while the hive recovers. Or, a new swarm might smell any abandoned honey and come set up shop.

Good luck on the removal. The thing about house removals is that you need a guy who knows both bees and carpentry. Sometimes, you'll get someone who understands the bee problem but not how to properly fix a house. And sometimes you get someone who can fix a house but won't know if he licked the bee problem. Hope Stoope is good.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  3. TimDuncanDonaut

I heard different species of bees require different handling. It depends on what they're carrying.

Canadian bees carry pollen.
    Mexican bees carry nectar.
    U.S. bees carry data.

#23 TimDuncanDonaut, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    KingCheetah and Xerobull like this.
  4. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

I sealed the issue spot from 2020, which was in the wall on the second floor of my house. These guys seem to be going into the attic (although I suppose they could just be using that as an alternate route to get to the wall). The 2020 swarm was very new, maybe a week. Not sure how much honey they made, but I guess any could be a lure.

5. Reeko

Reeko Member

I wouldn’t call it a phobia, but I’m definitely not comfortable around bees or wasps

if that buzzing sound gets too close to my ear, I’m out

one time I was out walking my dogs and these bees swarmed me…I’ve never ran faster in all my life

[​IMG]

definitely would’ve finished top 3 in the Olympics

Xerobull and Buck Turgidson like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

How the country old-timers did it was build a low, smokey, smoldering fire under the bee tree on a calm, cool day. The smoke makes them basically dormant. Then you climb up to the hive and dig out all the honeycombs.

Desperate times call for desperate measures, I suppose. Poverty is a great motivator.

Xerobull likes this.
  7. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Get out.

[​IMG]

TimDuncanDonaut likes this.