1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Bill Simmons Podcast] Houston’s Surprise Surge

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dr of Dunk, Mar 25, 2024.

1. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

2. kpdark

kpdark Member

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

4. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

media conspiracy

don grahamleone and sirjesse like this.
  5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Bill Simmons went from "**** Jalen Green" to "he reminds me of young Kobe"

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

7. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

With another 40 game this week, we might have to change it to JG40... :eek:

8. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

9. CCM721

CCM721 Member

Think about how much Lakers and Knicks fans would've been hyping up JG the past 2 years if he was on their team just due to his freak athleticism. Plus 7 40 point games by age 22? They'd be talking about building future statues, around here we talk about trading him.

10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

@roslolian - I have been trying to tell folks Bill believes in this team. Think what you want about him, but he led his pod off with the Rockets, none of these other talking heads would do that.

11. Patience

Patience Contributing Member

Jalen’s been great for the last 10 games or so, but let’s not pretend he wasn’t stinking up the joint for most of the season. He was getting routinely benched in the 4th quarter. He’s looking great lately, but I need to see more than a 10 game hot streak to proclaim him the next superstar.

12. jim1961

jim1961 Member

delete

don grahamleone likes this.
  13. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm going to wait until Jalen does this for at least 20 games to start next year or if he balls out in the play-in at the very least before I am saying anything definitive about his future. Putting up big numbers against tanking teams is good, but I want to see him string together efficient games against good defenses for a certain stretch. Even during his recent surge, if you look at his numbers against playoff teams, it's not bad, but not amazing like he is against the terrible teams.

People may think I'm hating, but I don't want to get up for yet another late season surge only to be disappointed when the new season comes around.

14. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You can acknowledge his improvements outside of just shooting hot and see he's been playing a higher baseline level where his floor has been much higher for a couple of months now due to things like playing consistent good defense.

His on/off impact numbers have been trending upwards for now about almost 2 ,months by now. The hot shooting has only been a small part of that.

15. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

Jalen is looking good. Something is definitely clicking with him right now. Maybe what Ime and staff have been wanting him to do he is finally understanding it. I know with Alpi out that gives him more opportunity and space to operate and maybe he feels a need to play more aggressive now. Whatever it is, it is working for him. Will be interesting to see how he looks when we play OKC in a must win game to keep up with G St.

16. Zen Tabak

Zen Tabak Member

Every great player has played better against bad teams. it is to be expected, by definition, that worse teams are easier to play well against.

Of course we want to see JG put up decent or better numbers on a consistent basis, but being better against worse teams is not a fair thing to use against any player, more likely something a person would say when they're moving the goalposts to rationalize away a player's success

17. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

I too need to see Jalen do this for a longer period and against better teams...BUT, that said, there is something different about the way he is playing even if it is against the cellar dwellers.

This doesn't feel as fleeting as his previous outburst...to me at least

18. meh

meh Contributing Member

Green's +/- by 10-game stretches

Games 61-70 (last 10 games): +13.8
    51-60: -5.4
    41-50: +1.6
    31-40: -1.0

I'm not really seeing it myself honestly.

NewAge, napalm06, Williamson and 2 others like this.
  19. MystikArkitect

He made the Kobe comparison. Brought up the thought of trading Sengun but ultimately thinks it's wiser to run both styles. It's going to be work on both players part. Moreso on Jalen than on Sengun. Jalen needs to learn to be more efficient and selective with his shots when Sengun is there and Sengun needs a 3 pointer to help space the floor for Jalen. If there's been a positive to him being out it's been this data.

20. meh

meh Contributing Member

Which is why I have not said this for any player except Jalen Green, the player who also balls out at end of seasons against tanking teams only to revert back into a pumpkin at beginning of the next season when even bad teams try hard again. I am no saying this about Amen or Cam. I am only saying this about Jalen. Because he's the only person where you're seeing a chasm in performance change once March rolls around, when half the league is either resting up for playoffs or thinking of Cancun already.