1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

NGL you sound crazy

majicdonjuan, OremLK and cmoak1982 like this.
  2. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Cont'd

I would not be surprised if the league lets a short guy win it this year. Probably not FVV
    but Brunson wouldn't surprise me. Making the short guys relevant again.

3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Celtics use my model and they have a record ahead of others. Porzingis
    Thunder, Chet
    Indiana, Myles Turner
    Others......lookup their offensive efficiency and ORtg. DRtg of Celtics and Thunder

NBA statmuse
    10/25 - 3/25 (with Sengun) 113.8 ORtg.........113.5 DRtg
    3/11 - 3/23 (without Sengun) 126.1 ORtg......112.8 DRtg

I know, short sample size. Keep watching until the end of season. SOF's will die denying
    the obvious. We're better without him.

https://www.statmuse.com/nba/ask?q=houston+rockets+ortg+from+3/11+-+3/23

#343 ApacheWarrior, Mar 24, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
    coachbadlee likes this.
  4. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

My point is unless you are as good as jokic, tmac and Yao then you don't get a roster built around you particularly if it means you have to get rid of green. Just cause you have so3m skillet similar to jokic doesn't mean a roster should be built around you. He becomes a better ft shooter and 3 point shooter and maybe we talk.

5. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Data > eye test. I’m posting data. We are shooting the same % with Alpi on/off in the paint - 57%.

There is no impact on offense other than same open 3’s are going in and they weren’t before. They are identical quality of shots in terms of closest defender spacing etc.

Defense is where the data shows something. Why type an essay with no data - literally 0 data points.
    It’s hard to continue the conversation in a constructive direction if it’s data vs eye test.

cmlmel77 likes this.
  6. verysimplejason

Rockets offensive rating with Sengun - 117, without Sengun - 138.4. Maybe FVV’s healthy finally?

7. verysimplejason

tagedieb likes this.
  8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

One, Alp was a part of March. Two, literally making shots is the explanation.
    A 6% jump in 3P % is huge over that stretch.

OremLK, clutchdabear and dream2clips like this.
  9. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Perhaps. But it's not just FVV shooting better. Randoms like Jeff Green, who shot ~ 25% in Dec-Jan, is shooting 41% in March. The Rockets were bottom 3 in 3pt through February. They are top 5 in March.

If we have this data, what we need to show is that shot quality has improved b/c that would be a tangible cause-effect; better shots = higher %. And, if you can show that the Rockets have materially improved their shot quality without Alpi THEN you have reason for this thread to be longer than 1 page. And at that point it should be 200 pages b/c that opens up an entirely different evolutionary path for this team (w/out Alpi).

cmoak1982 likes this.
  10. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

I saw this on a more sane and better kept Rockets forum. One with actual fans not trying to **** on their players.
    [​IMG]

#350 Joe Rocket, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
    cmoak1982 likes this.
  11. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

12. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The easy and convenient excuse is "oh, they're just shooting better". But the real reason is they're playing better defense. The eyes don't lie.

13. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Do you know that quantitative data alone doesn’t tell the complete story? Does the data you speak of explain why the Rockets are winning or why the offense isn’t stalling? Does it explain how the offense is different or how Green and other players are able to score more efficiently?

“Identical quality” and “spacing” is this fact or your assumption? You actually looked at every shot? I highly doubt this.

Without qualitative data or analysis sheer numbers mean nothing especially numbers with no context. I posted specifics of my observations. You posted numbers with no context and assumptions. Why be a piece of shi+ in your response and why post about data when you yourself don’t even understand its use or meaning?

#353 Stephen_A, Mar 25, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2024
  14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

Is that a gaussian distribution -- I learned on Clutchfans this is important.

Some may consider this a convolution and that's okay.

@B-Bob

B-Bob and harold bingo like this.
  15. thegary

thegary Contributing Member

I’m not surprised you interpolated it that way.

B-Bob and KingCheetah like this.
  16. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Numbers aren’t the end all be all when it comes to analysis and you are oversimplifying the phenomenon. Who cares if Sengun is out and he averaged 5 assists? Assists don’t necessarily determine outcomes of games since there are unassisted scoring. How much unassisted scoring took place during this streak?

You can sit on your ass and site numbers all day but numbers will never explain the phenomenon or events that occurred on the court. Numbers only support the phenomenon or events or help paint a picture. How a team plays factors in directly to the outcome which are wins and losses.

17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Again overly simplistic and generalized view of basketball without understanding how the team plays differently without Sengun. You have yet to post anything on how they play with specific examples but instead keep posting numbers with no context or in depth analysis. But go on and post more graphics from a site you paid your hard earned money for.

18. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

I looked at the stats for "openness" and "shot quality" and "nearest defender." They have those bro. Maybe give them a shot? It seems you didn't even know they existed and you're criticizing them anyway b/c they are "quantitative" smh.

Bro you're a waste of time on this topic. I wish you happiness in your continued Rockets fandom and may our paths cross in Championship celebration threads. Cya.

ThaRavenOfSanJack likes this.
  19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Lmao please understand what quantitative analysis means before opening your mouth. You answered none of what I addressed. Next time you try to talk big at least know wtf you’re talking about.

dream2clips likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

That's the thing. People are coming at it like it's an Alpi-bashing thing, but it's not. This is all about team dynamics.

verysimplejason likes this.