1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The answer is no. Logically, you don’t take your best player off the team and you become better.
    The team is playing well right now, it’s good to get the confidence up. But there’s more than a strong likelihood the results are the same with Alp in the lineup. This stretch is one that should have happened against the current teams
    The only reason this thread was made is because a JOF doesn’t like Alp.

Be happy the team is starting to show signs that they can shoot. If they can do that consistently, Alp will only make it easier for them

2. clutchdabear

clutchdabear Member

Don't think we should really be overthinking this - we got into the soft part of our schedule against some of the bottom dweller teams (Wizards 2x) with an extended homestand late in the season (minus the away game @Wizards). When you get to play teams as lowly and dysfunctional as the Wizards twice in such a short span, it allowed some of our players to re-discover their shooting rhythm in an NBA game and see the ball go in consistently. Even if the opponents thereafter were more competitive than the Wizards, that rhythm and confidence carries over. Let's hope that confidence continues to carry over in the remaining games.

Obviously not on the same scale, but it's like if Ray Allen starts a game 0-7 and then gets a few freebies at the FT line and then drains a wide open 3, and then suddenly he's back in rhythm and even if you have Shane Battier on him every shot just starts going in. Our shooting has drastically improved after the Wizards games, not because of Sengun being injured... our shooting wasn't all that great against the Spurs, a game where we barely eked out a win against one of the worst teams with Sengun out.

saleem and cmoak1982 like this.
  3. verysimplejason

Shooting was improved most probably because everybody are involved now and happy. Nothing against Sengun. Rockets really need to run. It opens up a lot of opportunities to other players making every play dynamic and difficult to defend.

Hakeemtheking likes this.
  4. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

We are the only fanbase that does this to its own players. And it always starts from this cesspool and spills into the media. So thanks for this Clutchfans, the ass hole of the Rockets fandom.

#324 Joe Rocket, Mar 24, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2024
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Same amount of passes, same offense. Literally the only difference is making shots

Joe Rocket likes this.
  6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I think the core problem with the idea presented in this post (and other similar posts by some of our, shall we say, not-so-sharp posters) is the post hoc logical fallacy. The example from the article linked is:

"The rooster crows immediately before sunrise; therefore the rooster causes the sun to rise."

Same issue here. "The Rockets continued a winning streak after Alperen Sengun was injured; therefore Alperen Sengun's injury caused the Rockets' continued winning streak." (Except it's even sillier, because the current streak started before he went down.)

It is a simple-minded way of viewing the situation at best, or at worst an agenda on display.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Sengun doesnt stop them from running.

Everyone has had plenty of opportunity all year, this is a weird post imo. When your dudes get opportunity after opportunity and cant efficiently make wide open shots or layups, you stop going to them. That's why Ime Udoka, beloved coach of the Houston Rockets, stopped going to them.

It's like the JG can't play with FVV argument. WRONG

Like are we forgetting the early months (PLURAL) where JG was given the reigns to run the second unit without Alpi and sucked ass?
    Or how about the middle months (PLURAL) where they came out every game trying to get JG involved and aggressive and as a result were down 10-20 every first quarter?

Jalen Green is PUTTING IT TOGETHER!!! THE END. IT'S DAMN AMAZING!! It will make them potentially a top 4 team consistently going forward with 2 all-star level starters.

The question isn't can this work with Alpi. It's can Jalen keep it up, regardless of who is playing.

8. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

No. This is the NBA. If you need to be happy to shoot competently you aren’t mentally suited for team sports and you will never make the league.

You need data like quality of shots, spacing, movement yielding more mismatches etc.

And you won’t find any of that bc Jalen splashing 27 foot step backs 5 times every game wasn’t happening a month ago.

Can’t you lot ever be happy for our team? Damn man y’all just live to hate.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  9. dmoneybangbang

This isn't sustainable but doesn't mean there aren't lessons to be learned.

harold bingo likes this.
  10. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Ty - IMO this is the correct take. I'm not bothered by trying to dump on Sengun. But i'm quite curious about understanding what's changed on the margin which, when combined w better 3pt shooting, may give us a window in to understanding why this is happening and what we can use once Sengun is back. The images below are season-to-date stats so the improved shooting over the last 2 weeks won't stand out.

Here's what stands out on the Sengun on/off team shot chart:

1- Higher 3pt % w/ Sengun ON and slightly improved long mid-range (LMR) shooting (better spacing = higher shot quality perhaps...TBD)
    2- Negligible change in combined 3P + Rim Attempts (RA): 81.8% ON, 82.3% OFF

Now we get to nitty gritty. Opposing team shot chart w/ Segun on/off:

1- > 3% higher Opponents eFG
    2- 3pt + RA 78.8% of shots w/ Sengun ON, 81.9% w/ Sengun OFF
    3- Teams take almost 4% more shots at the Rim w/out Sengun ON (if he isn't a rim-protector, at the very least his presence at least discourages)
    4- Opponents shoot better from almost everywhere including some eye-popping numbers like +15% from the L-corner (poor/stretched rotations?) and +10% from the arc (exactly where teams run PnR w/ Alpi part of the defensive action)

It's counter intuitive. Opponents get the rim more frequently and shoot almost as many 3's w/ Alpi OFF but their percentages (likely much higher shot quality; I'll research later). And on the flip side they take far more mid range shots but shoot those at a much better clip too.

I love Alpi. I love Jalen. I love these young Rockets. The answers you want won't be found on Offense. Simply, all that's happened there is we're hitting our shots. But defensively...damn. Reminds me of what Ime said right after the injury that "it allows us to do some more things Defensively" (might me misquoting off memory).

#330 dream2clips, Mar 24, 2024
  11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

We won't know that answer until Sengun comes back but did you know Wash has victories over Miami, Indiana and they are on a 2 game win streak after they played Houston.

Portland has victories over us, Miami, Cleveland and Sacramento.

My point is anybody can be beat on any day, its the NBA. Every player is getting paid and they are all professionals. Same as an any other sport.

Ancient Moabite and saleem like this.
  12. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Ive said this in the past. You have to have a system where everybody touches the ball in the half court, not just dropping the ball into Sengun on the low block.

But thats going to require spacing, movement and cutting. When you look at the Rockets now vs then, thr court is spread. Can Sengun's talents be maximized in such a system? We will see

13. dream2clips

dream2clips Member

Alpi is the secondary ball-handler for this team in the half-court. He avg 5 Apg. If you lose him, you have to replace those 5 just to be even on Apg as a team. By definition, the rest of the team's Assists will increase.

For an apples to apples take the contribution of the 2 primary ball-handlers w/out Alpi (FVV/Jalen) and his direct replacement (Landale).

Those 4 avg 17.0 including Alip's 0. When Alpi's healthy those 4 avg 16.9. There is literally zero difference. You are trying really hard to justify or validate an argument that is simply baseless.

tagedieb likes this.
  14. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

How can mirrors be real, if our eyes aren't real?

15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

16. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Chicago isn't the worst team, neither is Utah. Plus if we're missing our so called best player, along with our best defensive & offensive bench players (Tari & Cam), things should even out idiot. Plus I thought Jalen was the worst offensive starter in the NBA? None of your talking points are making sense

Stephen_A likes this.
  17. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I never said he was anyone neither did I say Jalen was Kobe. The point is that his skillset and limitations requires a certain roster constructed around him similar to those teams who ran their offense thru their big men. The Yao and Tmac years featured pgs like Sura and Rafer. Lakers featured Fisher and Ron Harper. Players who aren’t dynamic high scoring ball dominant pg’s. The big and 2 guards were featured. In Denver they created a roster of shooters and big defenders to flank Jokic.

#337 Stephen_A, Mar 24, 2024
  18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Not quite accurate. There simply were few driving lanes when Sengun is in the high post, mid post or elbows. Teams sag their corners and wings to cover the paint daring the Rockets to shoot. FVV dominated the touches usually running high screen and rolls or off elbow dribble handoffs. When the ball is rotated out to Green on the wing perimeter because FVV and Sengun have nowhere to go, there usually are 2 defenders waiting. That’s why the Rockets offense kept stalling and went long stretches without buckets. With Smith as the 5, this opens up driving lanes for Green. He is playing high screen and roll with other players like Amen with Smith on the perimeter. Green also has more touches now. Green’s performance in the first half was a combo of how defenses play the Rockets and lack of touches but also because of his lack of aggression.

Carpe82 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  19. Joe Rocket

Joe Rocket Member

He was until after the allstar break WITH ALPI. Players can play better fool lol

cmoak1982 likes this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

What 250 games?

A big big (#1, #2, or #3 option offensively) hadn't won a championship in 23 years until Jokic did it last year.

Nuggets team that used my model of 6'6"-ish players to 6'9"-ish:
    Michael Porter jr 6'10" falls in that mobile
    Aaron Gordon 6'8" me and @D-rock were calling for that guy for years
    Jeff Green 6'8"
    Christian Braun 6'6"
    Jamal Murray 6'4" plays bigger than his frame. Goes with the switch everything model defensively
    KCP 6'5" fit in that switch everything model.

I preached having a big big like Bogut, Javale MeGee, Daniel Gafford, Mark Williams types that can give the
    team 18 to 20 minutes to wrangle with the Jokic, KAT, Embiid types who can shoot 3's and
    post up. Hold them up while our other defenders provide help defense.

18 - 20 minutes wearing them down and using fouls wisely.....then the JJJ, Jabari Smith, Chet, Wemby
    running them off the court in fast pace non stop run, run, run (28-30 minutes of regulation time). 3's > 2's.
    Opposite of what the Warriors would do, they would run Bogut/Javale MeGee 28 minutes and
    go Hampton-5 around 18 minutes.

I also pushed the bigs that can do that and give us 3-point shooting capabilities like Myles Turner.

--------------

You may say I'm wrong but I argue the NBA gave it to Jokic when LeBron and the Lakers
    ran out of gas. Finally giving it to a Big-@$$-Big after 23 years of not having them win
    it all. So that fan bases that are heavyweights can fantasize about they themselves
    making it there one day. Make the poorest least efficient shot in the NBA
    relevant again.

As I've said before, Alex Caruso had a 4-first round picks trade value by the Bulls, but yet
    the Lakers pick up DeAngelo Russell, Rui Hachimaui, and Mo Bamba for nothing
    but crappy Horton-Tucker and Nunn.,............Rigged.

Bigs like Jokic, Embiid, Gobert, KAT, Sengun have to play Drop Coverage defensively
    in order to stay on the court. But there will always be a 3-point shooter open with
    Drop Coverage.

* Pick-n-Roll occupy two defenders

* Kick out to perimeter shooters (side having two shooters)

*Skip ball all my the perimeter forces defense to rotate

* Ball finds corner shooter......Big Lug Center is last option to pop out and defend
    said corner shooter. If you watch the finals Jokic did half hearted effort to pop
    out to corner shooter. Miami with Pat Riley and Spoelstra who made a living
    feeding Ray Allen and Battier and Bosh and Mike Miller somehow forgot that
    and couldn't remember, take advantage of the Jokic Drop Coverage.
    Sure you can believe that; but I'm smarter than that. Rigged.

Miami being small should have eaten up the Nuggets on fast break 3's layups
    but for some reason didn't run vs the big size players the Nuggets were
    putting out there.
    Sure you can believe that: but I'm smarter than that. Rigged.

I knew the NBA draft was rigged......but when the League set up LeBron to win
    the In-Season Tournament. The LeBron invitational......then I figured out
    the games during the season are rigged too.

Refs let Myles Turner be physical with Giannis (Bucks) so that Indiana would be
    a cupcake for the Lakers. That same LeBron who has struggled making 3's most of
    his career all of a sudden pulling up for 40-footers and making them. Same Lakers
    who the refs gave a timeout vs the Suns while no player had possession of the
    ball......allowing the Lakers to beat the Suns.

Then the refs called everything tight vs Myles Turner......putting him in foul trouble early
    which allowed Anthony Davis to have a field day in that In-Season Tournament championship.

League/Lakers had a ring ceremony, raising of the banner trying to bring LeBron closer
    to Michael Jordan. Knowing that LeBron wears out by All Star break.....league is talking
    about giving the In-Season tournament winner be an automatic 5th seed (at least).
    Tell me the league doesn't rig things!!

I guarantee I've been more correct than your sorry @$$ over the years