1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astro Fans, Did You Lose Faith? Be HONEST!!

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by ima_drummer2k, Sep 9, 2004.

?

Did You Lose Faith in the Astros Wildcard Hopes?

1. Yes, I thought it was over after the All Star break

115 vote(s)
    81.0%
  2. No, never! It's not over until the fat lady sings!

27 vote(s)
    19.0%
  1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

have you all lost faith in the fact that deep down you know that the choke is coming, and there is nothing you can do to stop it?

2. Puedlfor

Puedlfor Contributing Member

I was pretty sure that we were out of it, but I clung to the small chance that we had the talent to make a run.

Then we made the Beltran trade, and I was PISSED. Because I thought it was a stupid deal for a team not in contention and we were wasting talent.

Man, I was completely wrong about that - and it's time to own up. I missed the boat, I underestimated the effect Scrap Iron would have motivating our offense to finally play like they were able to.

I was stupid, short-sighted, and I was wrong. And I love it.

3. fatman510

fatman510 Member

I changed pretty much everyday. With every loss I said "were out, we have no chance, season over. its done." With every win I said "i still have hope, we can still do this" Then we won 12 in a row, so I'm a full believer now :)

4. Austin70

Austin70 Contributing Member

I never lost faith, before each series I would hope they would win it or sweep it, but alot of time that didn't happen. I would keep up with how many games we were behind. I would keep on thinking well we are down 6 games with 2 months left, I know there was still time to make a run, I did't know if they would do it or not, but I always hoped. So, I never lost faith.

5. hoopstar

hoopstar Member

honestly, i gotta tell you i thought we were done and shoulda tried to get rid of kent/beltran for some prospects for next year. That being said, i still either watched every game or checked online to see how that days game went to see if we made any progress at all. Then I'd still go and read all about that win (or loss) in the next days paper...

now that they've turned it around, all i gotta say is

GO ASTROS!!!

6. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

am I the only one this comeback almost frustrates a little bit...

I started off season thinking we were great.. then we started playing so bad.. and I was starting to think.. okay maybe this team isn't that good

..now they start all of the sudden playing up to potential again..

and if we miss the playoffs by a game or so I'm going to be upset thinking they screwed all summer and underachieved

7. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

what I mean is.. if we had ended season 7 or so games out I'd just be thinking.. ok we're not that good..

now if we finish a game out.. ill be thinking.. they unachieved all summer when th ey were actualy good

8. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I gave up belief, but never hope.

DD

9. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

So was I. I thought it was too little too late and I couldn't believe management was still clinging to the hope of making a run. I thought Drayton was just doing it to help attendance.

I thought it was time to tear apart the team and rebuild, not rent a player just to boost attendance. Now, I think we may have a shot at re-signing him. Saw an article the other day where he said the winning streak may affect his decision. It's not always about the money....I hope.....

Funny, when I found out Andy P was out for the year, I didn't care, but now??? Can you imagine this team with a healthy Andy P?

10. Rocket Fan

Rocket Fan Member

could'nt andy have pitched without further damage? If they thought they'd get back into it.. would he have waited for surgery?

11. Win

Win Contributing Member

I just posted this in a different thread before I saw this one, which it is more appropiate for, so....

I had given up on the 'Stros chances this year (and for the forseeable future) well over a month ago, so sorta of quit checking in on them in regards to the standings, wins, losses etc. All the more easy to do living in San Diego I'm afraid. And then the winning streak hit ten games and all the sudden I'm hearing about them on the radio talk shows out here and can't believe what's happening.

Looking back, it seems this winning started around the time of the Roy Oswalt plunking issue. Perhaps it is more due to Phil Garner. What are you guys hearing about Garner in Houston? I remember when he played for the 'Stros and have always admired him. What exactly happened to inspire this incredible turn-about? I really like there chances if they can make it into the playoffs, and talk about the drama - perhaps Bidge and Bags' last chance to finish on a winning note. Can you imagine how they must feel about getting the playoff monkey off their back and adding a world series to their resumes? It would all but insure their ticket to Cooperstown. Yeah, with Clemmens and Oswalt in the playoffs it's actually possible for them to go all the way. I am cautiously stoked

12. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

I lost faith but for some reason i watched every game on T.V. and even went to some games.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

This thread is a jinx.

14. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I'm starting to lose faith again. Scoring 1 run against the Pirates??

:(