1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Damn lol. You gotta drink before the game in the surrounding bars not during the game man.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll preface this by saying where I live has a high cost of living, but I am increasingly getting sticker shock whenever I go out shopping for food. Fast Food is about $10 per combo. Pizza is almost $20. I bought a regular salad for $15, was less than $10 just a few years ago.
    I end up paying because at the end of the day I am using a credit card so they're just numbers on a screen, but I feel like if we as a society were more cash focused that there would be a lot more friction in price increases because people are a lot stinger when it comes to giving paper money away than when using a credit card.

The most annoying part is that I make nearly the same as I did in 2019 but I am working harder and everything costs more. Working for a non-profit is not all it's cracked up to be.

LosPollosHermanos likes this.
  3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That seems on par, maybe even slightly cheaper, than where I live, which does not have a high cost of living.

4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Everywhere is a high cost of living then

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This seems fair. Pay increases (at least in my case, and I assume many others) are not outpacing inflation, making us poorer every year, essentially.

Though, I think this may be beginning to slightly even out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I had a pay freeze 2020-2022 (totally justified) but then a 6% COL adjustment in 2023 to make it "right" despite inflation in 2023 being 9%. So still outpaced by inflation. Life feels like a treadmill.

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those cost sound about the same as where I live. My work has been very uneven and as an owner of the company I don’t get a regular paycheck. That said my investments have been doing very well and am financially better than I was 5 years ago.

ROCKSS likes this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

all these restaurants jacked up the price during Covid and decided to keep it that way

and now everyone is asking for tips too

I stopped by a Subway for the 1st time in several years, and the card reader was asking for a tip…I almost busted out laughing

ROCKSS and Xopher like this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Tip culture is out of control. I got food from a robot a couple of weeks ago and it had a mandatory tip charge. Like WTF.

Reeko and Xopher like this.
  10. adoo

adoo Member

you're wrong.

according to FoxNews's Maria Bartiromo, wage has gone up; but it is a bad thing.
    she cautions that it is wage inflation. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

11. adoo

adoo Member

the “core consumer price" index is a measure that excludes volatile food and energy costs.

[​IMG]
    April's downtick tempers growing fears that inflation was becoming entrenched, making it more likely the Fed will be able to start lowering interest rates later this year,
    Adding to the Fed’s arsenal were reports showing US retail sales stagnating in April, an indicator that high borrowing costs and mounting debt are lowering consumer spending.

#1811 adoo, May 18, 2024
    Last edited: May 18, 2024
  12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I had a 3% bump plus a performance bonus. I considered myself a lucky one after a few round of layoffs that gutted our cto and principal staff.

Don't want to look too pricey in tech, retail or restaurants...

It's more convenient to delete/forget the inital "transitory" inflation spike and do a year by year comparison. Even when it was talked about at the time that this would happen with Base Effect Biases...

Ubiquitin and Space Ghost like this.
  13. Invisible Fan

I dunno wtf kind of elbow grease they're putting in for that tip, but I know for sure you don't want a damn bot spitting into your food.

tinman and Ubiquitin like this.
  14. Invisible Fan

I just returned from Japan. They're getting squeezed with a financial trainwreck at the other end, so now a bowl of pedestrian ramen that costs 18 TaT in California fetches for 800 yen or 6 bucks.

A fancy meal with drinks around 6600 yen per person...44 bucks here which is now standard at an Applebee's or olive garden plus your favorite moldy grape juice in a box.

Take a break like you mentioned and eat Before Times prices with ridiculously higher quality.

tinman and Ubiquitin like this.
  15. ROXRAN

ROXRAN Contributing Member

inflation just plain hits hard - bought a 2017 f150 truck brand new for work at $27,000 and now you can't find a comparable duplicate in 2023/2024 for less than $40,000, / 68 percent increase in only 6 years - wish my revenue went up like that ... would I like to trade in my truck and get a new one for work? Sure but not at that increase - keep it, maintain it- it's paid for - easy decision

tinman likes this.
  16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

owned by Community Notes

[​IMG]

17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I’m going to ask those voting for Trump what is his plan for reducing inflation?

I’ve yet to hear a plan other than to cut taxes which will add to inflation.

Nook, FranchiseBlade and ROCKSS like this.
  18. Invisible Fan

You know "undecided" voters don't care about the details.

If inflation and the price : wage gap pisses them off enough, they'll blame Biden and punish him beyond his pathetic poll numbers.

19. Xopher

Xopher Member
    Supporting Member

20. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Costco is about to increase membership dues. Frustrating but buying in bulk has been my way to combat inflation a bit so we will roll with it.