1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Inflation at its highest in 40 years…

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by LosPollosHermanos, Dec 10, 2021.

1. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Damn lol. You gotta drink before the game in the surrounding bars not during the game man.

ROCKSS likes this.
  2. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'll preface this by saying where I live has a high cost of living, but I am increasingly getting sticker shock whenever I go out shopping for food. Fast Food is about $10 per combo. Pizza is almost $20. I bought a regular salad for $15, was less than $10 just a few years ago.
    I end up paying because at the end of the day I am using a credit card so they're just numbers on a screen, but I feel like if we as a society were more cash focused that there would be a lot more friction in price increases because people are a lot stinger when it comes to giving paper money away than when using a credit card.

The most annoying part is that I make nearly the same as I did in 2019 but I am working harder and everything costs more. Working for a non-profit is not all it's cracked up to be.

3. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

That seems on par, maybe even slightly cheaper, than where I live, which does not have a high cost of living.

4. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Everywhere is a high cost of living then

Two Sandwiches likes this.
  5. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

This seems fair. Pay increases (at least in my case, and I assume many others) are not outpacing inflation, making us poorer every year, essentially.

Though, I think this may be beginning to slightly even out.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  6. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

I had a pay freeze 2020-2022 (totally justified) but then a 6% COL adjustment in 2023 to make it "right" despite inflation in 2023 being 9%. So still outpaced by inflation. Life feels like a treadmill.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those cost sound about the same as where I live. My work has been very uneven and as an owner of the company I don’t get a regular paycheck. That said my investments have been doing very well and am financially better than I was 5 years ago.

8. Reeko

Reeko Member

all these restaurants jacked up the price during Covid and decided to keep it that way

and now everyone is asking for tips too

I stopped by a Subway for the 1st time in several years, and the card reader was asking for a tip…I almost busted out laughing

Xopher likes this.
  9. Ubiquitin

Supporting Member

Tip culture is out of control. I got food from a robot a couple of weeks ago and it had a mandatory tip charge. Like WTF.

Reeko and Xopher like this.