1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash 'em in, or let 'em ride?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Houston77, Feb 10, 2023.

?

Brooklyn Picks -- Cash them in, or let 'em ride?

1. Cash 'em in

85 vote(s)
    34.7%
  2. Let 'em ride

160 vote(s)
    65.3%
  1. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Yes, I like him too and he’s improved his game. We need a young center to grow with the team because it doesn’t sound like Adams and Landale will be here longterm.

ArtV, bcast89 and BaselineFade like this.
  2. Rokman

Rokman Member

He would be one hell of a pick up!

BaselineFade likes this.
  3. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man. I am so excited about the team right now.

Can Jalen Green clear Evan Mobley?
    Can Jabari catch up to and clear Chet and Paulo?

It still seems plausible with the hiring of Udoka. We have workers that are showing signs.
    • The talent of Alperen Sengun and Amen Thompson. o_O My goodness. Elite.
    • Tari and Cam are dogs drafted at 17 and 20...
    • Fred+DB+Steve-O are incredible Vets.
    • Draft picks coming from Brooklyn out to 2027.

I could not be more thrilled to be a Houston Rockets fan. I hope Tilman doesn't screw anything up. Open up the checkbook...

#823 RudyTBag, Mar 18, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    BamBam, roslolian, FLASH21 and 4 others like this.
  4. Rokman

Rokman Member

And don't forget Udoka's tough-nosed leadership and Pop pedigree. No more babying players as they come in. Earn the time or hit the pine.

BaselineFade and RudyTBag like this.
  5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The worst ten teams in the NBA are all on losing streaks for a combined 37 losses. 37. In a row.

Nook and No Worries like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’ve started to do a little draft evaluation. And I’m not expert. But I just have to say, I think the narrative on this draft being underwhelming really checks out. I just don’t like many of these prospects. I don’t want to pick at #8 unless there were absolutely zero good opportunities to trade the pick. There might be a couple good players at the top, but…yuck!

Bo6, CriscoKidd and No Worries like this.
  7. roslolian

roslolian Member

There isn't a star but there are a couple of role player type guys who can help us out. It's a bad draft for rebuilding or tanking teams but contenders or teams on the rise like the Rox can prob get a contributor.

At 8th we can prob get limited Sharpshooters like Reed Shepherd and Dalton Knecht, Wing projects like Matas Buzelis/Ron Halland/Tidjane Salaun, Backup C's like Donovan Clingan/Filipowski/Kelel Ware or total wild cards like Furphy/Stephon Castle/Jakobe Walter

Like I said the ceiling is limited but I think there's still value at 8th. FWIW I think this class has lower ceiling but better floor than the 2020 class.

BaselineFade, Zen Tabak and Y2JT like this.
  8. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

9. MystikArkitect

Looking like the Nets will ultimately catch the Jazz in the standings. Jazz have nothing else to play for and are bottoming out. The Nets play the Raptors multiple times who need to basically lose every game the rest of the season so that they don't send their pick to the Spurs (Top 6 protected). Outside of lottery luck or the Grizzlies suddenly deciding to turn it on it's looking like we'll be picking 9th or 10th.

jcmoon likes this.
  10. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I doubt they catch ATL. 8th or 9th it is.

Corrosion likes this.
  11. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

The Jazz's remaining schedule is certainly much tougher than Brooklyn's. They face Houston three times.

I'm hopeful we can draft a contributor with a top 10 pick even in this draft. Honestly, I view this year as kind of a bonus. It's next year, with the much better prospects and possibly a worse Brooklyn team, that has me excited.

12. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

After drafting the 6 players the rockets have drafted (Eason already being from the Nets) this year and next really are just a bonus. Talent influx galore.

roslolian and Ancient Moabite like this.
  13. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

The Jazz have a three game lead and the Nets will only be favored in 4 games going forward. With Mikal Bridges checking out, I think the Nets would need some serious luck to win 5. All Jazz need to do is beat the Spurs and get lucky once (or have the Rockets tank like they've never tanked before in their last matchup).

Nook likes this.
  14. MystikArkitect

Yeah. Memphis, Detroit, Hornets and Spurs will all probably be better than the Nets. Bridges is basically forcing his way out. No star will go there and Simmons is a joke. The only teams I can see being worse than the Nets next year are the Wizards and maybe the Trailblazers depending on how Scoot Henderson ends up. The Hawks might blow it up and tank. A top 5 pick next year is likely in a much better draft.

No way Bridges goes into next year giving it his all.

MrButtocks likes this.
  15. MrButtocks

Memphis should undoubtedly be better next season. Detroit, Charlotte, and San Antonio will at least add their lotto picks this summer, plus their young players like Wemby, Brandon Miller, Ausar might benefit from the extra year of experience. LaMelo returning would help Charlotte a ton.

Brooklyn has no pick this year and no cap space. If Claxton walks, I'm hoping to Orlando but any other team will do, Brooklyn would really be in a tough spot. Good luck recruiting any free agents in 2025 when up and coming teams like Houston and OKC can also have max cap space. Also, Brooklyn can't trade their 2025 or 2027 picks due to their 2026 obligation to us. Their 2025 pick will also likely be swapped for OKC's in the high 20s. I honestly can't think of a team with a worse outlook for the next three seasons. Good thing those years coincide with their obligations to us.

roslolian and Plowman like this.
  16. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Another day, another Nets’ loss.

17. Bo6

Bo6 Member

too bad every other team is tanking their hearts out. maybe memphis can get ahead of the Nets.. oh well, this draft class is dreadful. Reed Shepard scored 3 points in a first round loss against Oakland and he's a top 10 pick....

this is the year to take some unknown euro-stash 18 year old talent and lock him away a few seasons when our extensions start looming.

18. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

We have to keep the pick.

I know everyone is down on this draft. But, historically, there's always someone that turns out to be an all star and there's even a chance they become a superstar. This is the way it works. You just have to keep drafting.

In the past 20 years only 3 players have won MVP after leaving the team that drafted them. Most are familiar with the 1 that got MVP after being traded (Harden). The other 2 got MVPs after leaving in free agency (Lebron and Nash). Harden and Nash were only let go because they were more seen as top level complementary players at the time. The Cavs would have never let Lebron go, he just took the risk in waiting for free agency and left to join his friend and elite player Wade.

In short, it's extremely rare to get an MVP player without drafting him. So, the best option is to keep drafting until you get one. Or, as the result of great drafting, build a team that a disgruntled great player wants to go to.

History shows you're unlikely to buy your #1 guy to win a championship.

Nook, roslolian and Little Bit like this.
  19. MrButtocks

Knicks didn't even have OG or Randle.

roslolian likes this.
  20. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member