1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Trade Thread 2023-24

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 10, 2023.

1. OremLK

OremLK Member

The more I think about it the more I feel like we should call OKC this offseason and see if they'll trade Cason Wallace + filler for Dillon Brooks. Feel like that would really make a lot of sense for both teams. OKC has too many guards, we have too many forwards. OKC's window starts now, a 28yo 3-and-D guy with three years left on his contract is perfect for their timeline. Our window starts in a few years.

If DB isn't enough by himself maybe we could offer to swap Brooklyn's pick for our own back, assuming Brooklyn's ends up better.

As far as Cason goes, he's being really underutilized because they're so deep. His usage is only 12%. But he's been remarkably efficient when he has gotten the opportunity--currently in the 50 percent/40 percent club. And he's a good defensive player, definitely an Ime kind of guy who plays on both ends and makes smart decisions. Personally, I would have taken him 7th in the draft after Amen, Ausar, and Cam.

2. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

Listening to a Dunc'ed on Basketball podcast on PG rankings, Suggs was ranked about 20th on PGs. I think that is really low for him. He's not an offensive engine, but if his 40% 3pt % is real, he's going to be a great PG for some team that has the offensive engine at another position.

I'd do the 2024 Brooklyn pick straight up for him. I'd consider parting with Brooks as well, but might need Brooks to go to a 3rd team to get a random protected FRP.

kspires999 likes this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Considering how good all 3 of our late teen picks have been i'd be looking to trade down from our current spot to grab another late 1st next year.

4. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

i think the current 8-10 spot is a perfect spot for stone to operate.

Ancient Moabite and Bo6 like this.
  5. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would def consider it. But if you do completely trade out of the draft. Having two picks in the next draft gives you more ammunition for a trade when things culminate to when decisions need to be made.

6. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Suggs for the 8th pick, and Tate is fine with me. Keep Brooks, we need him. Amen is more of a point forward.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  7. xaos

xaos Member

Lol at the Green trade proposals on here

8. R=$

R=$ Member

Houston Rockets Trade Breakdown
    Change in Team Outlook: +8.8 ppg, +3.6 rpg, and +2.1 apg.
    Incoming Players
    [​IMG] Davis Bertans
    31 year old, 6-10, 225 lb SF from Union Olimpija (Slovenia)
    6.2 ppg, 1.3 rpg, 0.8 apg in 14.6 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Grant Williams
    25 year old, 6-6, 236 lb SF from Tennessee
    10.1 ppg, 4.1 rpg, 2.0 apg in 27.6 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Seth Curry
    33 year old, 6-1, 185 lb G from Duke
    5.1 ppg, 1.5 rpg, 1.0 apg in 14.0 minutes in 2023-2024
    Outgoing Players
    [​IMG] Dillon Brooks
    28 year old, 6-6, 225 lb F from Oregon
    12.7 ppg, 3.4 rpg, 1.7 apg in 30.8 minutes in 2023-2024
    [​IMG] Steven Adams
    30 year old, 6-11, 265 lb C from Pittsburgh
    No games yet played in 2023-2024

9. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

10. fattz

fattz Member

I like Wallace too. Not saying he is untouchable but we would have to pay dearly for him. I don’t know what we have they would want, that we are willing to part with to get him. Picks have no value to OKC because they have so many already.

Brooks is not going to start for them; he has a starting player’s salary. I don’t think he does much for OKC.

I like the idea though; maybe a third team helps make it happen.

OremLK likes this.
  11. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I don’t think Orlando is breaking up their 3 core players, and Suggs is part of that. I could see them moving players for a star or near-star, but not for draft picks and role players.

People mention Cason Wallace as another trade target, OKC isn’t moving him for anything less than a star or near star that fits. My understanding is they have big plans for Wallace, especially with a big decision coming on Giddy as his rookie scale contract ends.

I think our best chance for an upgrade while still preserving the core 6 is to go after someone like Murray or Brogdon. Obviously you’d give up a lot more for Murray given he’s younger and on an excellent contract. But I see those two as really good fits with a need for point guard minutes, shooting and defense. Atlanta may have to rebuild and Portland certainly is rebuilding. Either of those guys would solidify our backcourt and we shouldn’t have to blow up the farm to get them.

Brooks, Tate and Jeff Green’s minutes will need to go to our core 6 next yr; they’ll need to be moved soon.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. Francis3422

Francis3422 Member

Brooks+#9 to Indiana for Jarace Walker?

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I’m all for a good power forward that can light a fire under Jabari’s ass. He’s never had to look over his shoulder.

#1753 Little Bit, Apr 5, 2024
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2024
  14. Tuckmose

Tuckmose Member

If indy is willing to trade him after a singe year, for a worse draft pick in a weaker draft than when they got him, then he's not a good player.

15. astrosrule

astrosrule Member

ya but there's also a cost to dump 3 years of brooks, so we would be getting at least a solid 1st back in value

16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I would do that. He fits in as a Jabari and Sengun type player. While Cam Tari and Green is the chaos. Amen is the wild card.

17. utgrad97

utgrad97 Member

Suggs would be the perfect guy to pair with Donovan Mitchell.

18. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

What about doing a sign and trade with Brooklyn - Claxton for their 24’ pick back?

19. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

We trade a top 10 pick for a C that can't make FT's or be kept on the floor in the playoffs? In 5 years he's gone from being a 52% on FT's to 55%. It will take longer than his new contract (4 years) for him to become playable in a winning setting.

Not to mention he has been injury prone for 3 of his 5 seasons and wants a big contract.

Also what on earth do we need him for? We have Adams; and Sengun started at C for a top 10 defense. He's going to protect the paint for Sengun when he hasn't ever done what Sengun has done?

Maybe if he were locked into a reasonable contract ($12m) and we hadn't acquired Adams, I might consider it.

I'd definitely stay away. If there are that many core flaws we have to fix, why wouldn't we just draft a C and rationalize their flaws too? At least they'll be young and more likely to improve. Look at what Derek Lively and Mark Williams have achieved.

For their 24 pick, I would rather have Sharpe and a future pick. Sharpe is a good low cost project with minor development needs. Don't know if they'd be interested.

20. ilias

ilias Member

HOU in: Mitchell, Mikal Bridges
    HOU out: Jalen Green, FVV, all the Nets picks & swaps, 25/27/29 FRPs

BR in: FVV, LeVert (or other salary match), their picks/swaps back from the Rockets
    BR out: Bridges, Simmons

CLE in: Green, Simmons, Rockets 25/27/29 picks
    CLE out: Mitchell, LeVert

Assumes Mitchell agrees to extension. LeVert and Simmons are there for salaries, could be replaced by other players.

HOU starters: Mitchell, Bridges, Brooks, Jabari, Sengun
    I think the above lineup could make us contenders.