1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Horror Cinema] Late Night With The Devil (IFC Films)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Xerobull, Mar 21, 2024.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3/22/24

In 1977 a live television broadcast goes horribly wrong, unleashing evil into the nation's living rooms.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

#1 Xerobull, Mar 21, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 21, 2024
    KingCheetah likes this.
  2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Seeing this tomorrow, really looking forward it...

ROCKSS likes this.
  3. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

This looks good..................I love this type of movie

Xerobull likes this.
  4. Xerobull

Let us know. I really want to see it but have zero time to go.

GRENDEL and ROCKSS like this.
  5. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I left impressed with the movie overall, some issues with pacing because they splice "behind the scenes" footage between the broadcast "Masters Air" footage. The straightforward show stuff is excellent, they really recreate the look and feel of those fringe type late night shows kind of had some Seinfeld flashbacks with the Merv Griffin set. The behind the scenes stuff is mainly exposition dumps and they feel a bit over produced since this film is supposed to be a 70s era documentary about that night.
    Those issues aside, its a fun movie with some solid scares and excellent dark comedy even though it can't quite stick the landing with the last 10 mins just sort of going off the rails.

B+ overall from me......

6. Xerobull

Watched it last night. The sets and costumes were for the most part dead-on for the period. Some of the background folks probably wouldn't have looked like that in 1977. The possessed girl really nailed that 1970s vibe. Thinking about it, the story was good too. The AI art controversy stuff, although minimal, somewhat distracted me and had me thinking about AI taking the jobs of artists. The actors were great although I'd say there is some dead air in the editing and at times it seemed more like a play than a movie- not sure if that is intentional as it's a period piece. David Dastmalchian was very good, I instantly recognized Ian Bliss as he played the 'real-world' Smith from the Matrix sequels. And was pleasantly surprised to hear Michael Ironside's voice in the intro as the narrator (I thought it was Wayne June at first). I won't spoil it but there's a deeper story in the movie based on some history that some may miss.

As @GRENDEL said the ending was a little weird, but it's supposed to be a throwback movie so I gave it some grace. I wouldn't mind a sequel, tbh, but they never seem to live up to the originals, so I can live without it.

Agree with Grendel- B+

If you want to check it out on Shudder, here's a promo code for a 30-day free trial: doubletoasted

B-Bob, Buck Turgidson and ryan_98 like this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

Very solid. B++

Xerobull likes this.