1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Jock Landale is the X-factor

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Os Trigonum, Mar 21, 2024.

1. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

They all play well.....the difference was that Holiday and Uncle Jeff were playing well across 60 games.

You sure bet that Holiday was playing for a contract extension.

2. eman

eman Contributing Member

The new biggest surprise.

Believe It! likes this.
  3. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Wtf I love Jock Landale now?

4. Von Rafer

Von Rafer Member

Cut this scrub. The worst center in the NBA is being divisive in the media. What a dumbass. Seriously cut this scrub, Javier Francis is 10x better than this overpaid bum.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I didn't really notice him in Phoenix (i.e., not good enough or bad enough to stand out). I wouldn't notice his improvement this year if he wasn't a Rocket. Stats suggest he was this good last year such that early in the year was likely because of the injury.

#45 Joe Joe, Mar 22, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 22, 2024
    albuster likes this.
  6. meh

meh Contributing Member

I'm guessing the Rockets are picking up his 2nd year at this pace. I originally thought the odds were zero once we traded for Adams, but now that I think about it, the Rockets did try to sign Lopez and Landale last season, so they clearly want 3 centers on the roster regardless. And I don't think the team has plans on using capspace this offseason anyways, so that shouldn't be a factor either.

albuster likes this.
  7. tagedieb

tagedieb Member

He is finally playing up to his contract. Good for Landale..

If he didn't show up with Sengun injured, his NBA career seemed to be over based on his earlier showing

albuster likes this.
  8. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Jock has seriously been awesome, he's looking more like he did in Phoenix. Maybe he was still recovering from his injury but it's a night and day difference from the beginning of the season. Just in time too because we've really needed it.

albuster and Believe It! like this.
  9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

10. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

My memory may be off, but I think Landale was the Lopez Plan B, and not a move that could be done (at least at that contract) with Lopez.

11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

12. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

He’s more skilled than advertised. My favorite thing about him is he makes quick decisions/moves when he has the ball. That’s an always my one gripe with sengun. He would be the ball and jsut wait sometimes before goin like he’s trying to see what the defense wants to do. No just go. He’ll be a great backup next year. I’m getting goosebumps thinking about this team at hopefully full health next season.
    Our bench so going it crush second units with jock, Tari, Cam, Amen and whoever they replace Holiday with

13. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Landale is playing well but the defense is not better. The Rockets are routinely giving up 60+ points by halftime and the final scores have soared. The Rockets are playing worse defense since Segun has been injured but they are playing a lot better offensively (particularly Jalen) and therefore outscoring their opponents.

albuster and harold bingo like this.
  14. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

The defense is not better. Since Sengun went down we have played the 27th, 26th, 17th, 27th, and 19th ranked offenses. Despite that, the defensive rating over this stretch has been 112.8, compared to our 112.7 over the entire year. So basically the same points allowed even though we're playing really bad offensive teams.

So the defense has actually been worse. It just seems like it's better because the offense has been so good. Defensive mistakes don't really bother you that much when you are winning by double digits. Having big leads and having a potent offense will warp your perception of what's actually happening on defense.

tagedieb and Little Bit like this.
  15. meh

meh Contributing Member

You're right. I checked Charania and the Lopez news broke first. Well, the Rockets also kept Boban so Landale can play that role and a big enough salary to help with salary matching.

16. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I don't think I've ever seen a season with this kind of turnaround for a veteran. In the first 60 games of the season, Jock literally couldn't do anything right. He couldn't even finish layups and was always out of position defensively. In the past ten games he's been a revelation. He's setting great picks, finishing strong around the hoop, getting extra possessions for the team, blocking the crap out of everything, and now making great passes.

Yesterday, the Bulls' two big lineup was killing us. It was Landale that matched Vucevic and Drummond physically and helped us close the game. He deserved that postgame interview. I think for the low price of his $8M option he deserves to be on the team next season, at least as insurance for Adams. That's only about 5% of the projected cap. Who knows how well Adams will recover from his surgery? At the very worst, he could still be a salary match in a trade.

IndoRockets likes this.
  17. ThinkBigRoc

ThinkBigRoc Member

In recent outings, the Rocket's defensive prowess has been better to the naked eye, even if the statistics might not fully reflect this improvement. Despite an uptick in pace over the last 10+ games, resulting in opponents having more opportunities, the defense has shown remarkable resilience, especially when it matters most. A prime example of this was last night's fourth quarter, clamping down and shut out opponents effectively, as oppose to folding in the past, with defenses lapses down the stretch.

18. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Sengun - Adams - Landale
    Jabari - Tari
    Brooks - Whitmore
    Green - Amen
    FVV - Amen

Is this what we looking at next year?

Rocket River

albuster likes this.
  19. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member