1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Are the Pelicans toast? We're watching Thunder at Pelicans -- Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Amen Thompson - Point [Forward or Guard?]

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by kpdark, Oct 6, 2023.

?

Where should Amen spend most of his minutes?

1. Guard

198 vote(s)
    71.0%
  2. Forward

62 vote(s)
    22.2%
  3. other

19 vote(s)
    6.8%
  1. kpdark

kpdark Member

2. meh

meh Contributing Member

The difference between the two to me is that he has shown plenty with his handles to believe he can be a good ballhandler for a PG. Yes he needs to improve, but it's something that people are generally confident that he can improve on with experience, because of what he's already shown at lower levels. Meanwhile, his shooting is something that no one has ever seen at even a semi-competent level. So that is actually a question where he may never develop a good enough shot to be defended on the perimeter.

saleem, Deuce and daywalker02 like this.
  3. bmelo

bmelo Member

He is a dribble away from being a tall Westbrook. He can run fake Center in the offense and Sengun can run fake point guard. One of them needs to shoot the 3 though

roslolian and glimmertwins like this.
  4. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

Fun stuff. Updated after yesterday’s game. Source: dunksandthrees.com

Amen is now top 90 among all NBA players in EPM. Above, check notes, Mikal Bridges

[​IMG]

roslolian, comrade and BaselineFade like this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

You pick your battles, and while hitting 15-18 footers isn’t as good as hitting 3’s, it does still help the spacing situation a lot more than struggling to shoot outside of 10 feet.

It also depends on what they decide he is capable of. His form and release from 18 feet is a lot better than 22-23 feet - and it may be a situation where he needs to learn the mid range before branching out. That’s for the Rockets to decide - I personally think based on his form and shooting effort, he would be better working on the mid range first.

When it comes to spacing the court - that won’t all be on Amen. Green, Smith, Sengun and others will play a part in that. I am more confident with Sengun coming back after the summer shooting 35-38% on 3’s than Thompson.

Also - if Thompson shoots solid from 12-18 feet next year, his offense will REALLY increase …. That will open the lane enough for him to drive and finish at the bucket and score from outside the paint.

Deuce, meh, saleem and 1 other person like this.
  6. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

I think I would do it. I love Alpi but this seems a perfect fit. They all seem better fits to the Udoka system. I would expect that squad to be the best defensive year after year. My only concern would be the lack of shooting.

7. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

8. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I don't know if I would do that. I am pretty sure I proposed a trade at some point to @AroundTheWorld that was Sengun and the 4th (Amen pick) for Cade and Duran.

To create this lineup

Cade
    Green
    Eason
    Jabari
    Duran

and was of course shot down.

Again though I don't know if I would do that trade. Duran Green Auser & Amen is just not the modern NBA from 3. That is so far in the other direction that if it worked it maybe even change the nba back to the 90's!

Amen
    Green
    Cam
    Auser
    Duran

Would assuredly be the most athletic starting 5 in NBA history. Probably a combined 10-12" combined higher vertical or even more than ever before.

9. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

If picking battles, Amen being able to force his man to go over on screens is absolutely the most important battle to fight (i.e., opponents respect his three). It isn't a battle I expect the Rockets to win soon. I'm skeptical they can win it all, but the most important thing for the Rockets is to have a player capable of being the best player on a championship team. If Sengun and Amen can hit threes, that would give the Rockets two bites at that apple.

MR shots (not counting end of the clock) are for the top 1% of all shooters , the elite, the best of the best (maybe slight exaggeration). Solid just isn't good enough. Amen as even one of the worst three point shooters, is closer to being an average 3 point shooter than one of the best of the best from MR. The plaque for solid mid range shooters is in the ladies room.

On others needing to space, only Amen can force his man to go over screens. Only Amen can force Wemby and Chet out on perimeter if Wemby and Chet are guarding him.

Caveat: This isn't to say Amen shouldn't work on MR shots as that is a needed skill in the last 7 or seconds of the shot clock. Getting high priority shots early in the shot clock is just much more important.

Nook likes this.
  10. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You are making assumptions about what is necessary for a functioning guard role in the NBA but there is nothing that says that Amen can't function like a big offensively and a guard defensively. If Sengun can extend his range to be a respectable 3pt shooter so guys have to cover him, the team can still play 4 out with Amen as the inside guy. He is such a smart cutter(like Dwayne Wade level smart) and a great rebounder that I think you really miss out on a lot of opportunity if you apply conventional thinking to Amen.

If I'm Houston, this offseason I'm looking for ways to introduce the old Spurs Hammer play with Jalen as the driver and Whitmore in the Danny Green role and for Amen I could see him working on a short mid range pullup and otherwise watching a TON of Dwayne Wade clips to see how he plays out of the dunker spot, utilizes screens to generate open looks or find backdoor opportunities, and even how he utilizes the threat of his drive to generate easy shots for himself out of the jab move. The point is - Wade is a good example of a modern guard lacking shooting(although he became somewhat respectable later in his career) who developed an effective skill set around how he can leverage the threat of his drives to generate opportunities for himself - and Amen can do the EXACT same thing and then some.

11. kpdark

kpdark Member

12. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

This kid is ballin out.

HD729, AKVerse47, Rock Block and 3 others like this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

14. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I see much more of a Shawn Marion type of player than a Ben Simmons type of point forward honestly. Shawn Marion was incredibly vital for both the Suns, and the Mavs during their contender years. I see him being that jack of all trades vital piece to this team moving forward. However I don't want him trying to be Lebron or Harden out there. I want him doing what he's doing now, but playing off of a legit contender with a superstar.

apollo33 and Ancient Moabite like this.
  15. HeyBudLetsParty

Defense reminds me of Kawhi

GotGame15, HD729, A_3PO and 2 others like this.
  16. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

Man if we continue to kill it down the stretch and make the play in... IF Alp is cleared to return, they may have to think about this starting lineup...

VV
    JG
    Amen
    Bari
    Alp

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Wild that Amen can put up stats like this and not have a jumpshot. Shows how advanced the rest of his game is, and I'm not even talking about his elite defense.

Nook, HD729, zeeshan2 and 5 others like this.
  18. conquistador#11

Did they update why he left to the locker room early?

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I come back from a hiatus to find you writing this. Have you read anything on this site? Please do. I invite you to. Have you called anyone else out on this site?

There’s much hatred and judgement spewed on this site without much analysis. Do you think everyone enjoys reading that? There’s also much disrespect on this site. What I choose to engage in is really none of your concern if your name isn’t attached to it. So do me a favor and stay out of it. And if you’re going to be policing this site then please equally apply this to everyone.

#719 Stephen_A, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
  20. GOATuve

GOATuve Member

I don't have anything against you personally. Genuinely hope you're doing well