1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2024 NFL Draft Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Rockets34Legend, May 1, 2023.

1. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Rams did draft Kobie Turner last year

2. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

Good find! Would love to get one of these DTs at 42 or 59, and then take a swing on another in 6th or 7th Rd. With how hurt our OL was last year, I'd love to build extra depth on DL this year.

K9Texan likes this.
  3. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Maybe there is still a chance that the Texans go back into the first round, but if they don't... totally would be ok with BPA with 42 (would prefer best available CB) and draft Fiske with 59. Shall see. Overall the Texans have done well in building something that can compete with some of the best teams in the NFL.

raining threes likes this.
  4. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The article is really interesting. It goes into depth about instant impact, development, peaks, and washout rates. One explanation it gave for safeties was this....

"Hazarding a guess, teams overdraft athleticism at the safety position. They tend to "swim" as rookies, fly all over the field as sophomores and then opposing quarterbacks figure them out.

An alternative theory: Defensive coordinators gradually put more responsibility on the shoulders of safeties who show well early on, meaning their statistics plummet as they play within the defense.

Maybe it's a little of both."

5. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

6. Qan

Qan Member

Damn Pitre (and DP) slumped a year early!

7. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

I'm currently enamored with swing Edge players who can move inside. Darius Robinson is 285/291 as an Edge who might be able to swing between DE and DT like Autry. Any thoughts on this concept variation?
    How do you project an inside move like that beyond the weight since maintaining the rushing lanes is important?

#2147 Marshall Bryant, Mar 19, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 19, 2024
    K9Texan likes this.
  8. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Would you consider this a successful draft?

42.T'Vondre Sweat DT Texas
    59.Ja'Lynn Polk WR Washington
    86.Brandon Dorlus EDGE Oregon
    123.Mason McCormick OG South Dakota State
    127.Theo Johnson TE Penn State

9. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

I too like Robinson and believe he would be a good addition to help at DE or DT.

10. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

The knock on Sweat is that he's not much of a pass-rush threat. I also wonder if he's just too big. He might be a bust. Of course that's true of anybody but I would pass.

11. vjohnson

vjohnson Member

we just need him to clog up the middle to give our edges time to get to the qb

12. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Everyone on the Dline doesn't have to be great pass rushers. What he lacks as a pass rusher, he makes up for by getting his hands up to knock down passes. I'll take that. He's also good in run defense which Demeco really puts an emphases on. You also need guys too eat up blocks and with his big body, he'll do just that. I love T'Vondre Sweat.

13. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

Good points!

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  14. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Like the others said, the plus is he is MASSIVE.
    He will command double-team blocks while freeing up opportunities for surrounding playmakers to hunt quarterbacks, and we've got some quarterback hunters frothing at the mouth to put on that sack attack.

15. K9Texan

K9Texan Member
    Supporting Member

pff_mock_results (6).png I like Darius Robinson to provide depth at DE and to possibly start at DT. I also think DT Kris Jenkins will be a solid DT that we can get.

After that, we need a quality third receiver to start. I also believe that we need a quality 4th receiver to provide depth when one of the others is injured.

And I would like to draft another RB. So this is who I took using PFF's mock draft simulator.

16. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

His role has been to clog the middle, but also to free up the linebackers by moving the line into the backfield or at least holding his own at the line of scrimmage while taking on a double team freeing up the edge rushers.

raining threes and red5rocket like this.
  17. Marshall Bryant

Supporting Member

Demeco is going into his second year and will begin adjusting the defense to his vision rather than finding players who fit the system he has worked with. Swarm works with good LBs and juice. A penetrating DL can make their job easier.

18. raining threes

This is why I hope Caserio drafts Sweat or Fiske and P.Wilson. The front 7 would be nothing but Swarm.

red5rocket and cmoak1982 like this.
  19. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

20. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

MB,
    Personally, I like having versatility at all positions. Guys like Autry are valuable because of their ability to play/attack from multiple positions.

Projecting has a lot to do with guy's technique (feet, hand use, etc.), strength, explosiveness, experience, and scheme adaptation (a very underrated trait). This is why it's important to have a really good scouting staff and for them to have great relationships with the coaches and an understanding of scheme, desired traits, etc. Robinson appears to have the skills to be able to go DT or DE in a 4-3, but he also looks perfect to be a 3-4 DE. The latter might be his best overall scheme fit.

With that said, I've been enamored by Byron Murphy who is probably a lock to go in Top 20. While there is a lot of love for Sweat on this board, I think guys like Newton, Hall and Fiske would be our targets at 42 if we go DT.

While Cas talked about trading up to RD1, I could also see us moving up with #59 and getting a DL and WR in Top 50. I see some real value in 30-50 as I've said before.

Sooty and Marshall Bryant like this.