1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Spring Training 2024

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Feb 18, 2024.

1. The Beard

The Beard Contributing Member

He is a career .176 hitter with a sub .600 OPS

He is a poor defender

He is the definition of a zero floor player

Julks should play no role in whether or not Singleton makes the team. Back in 2014 I really wanted to see this guy, he was the next big thing. He hit .168 with a 620 OPS, it's still his best season

Julks is another terrible option also. A bench guy with a sub 300 on base percentage. I know we can't afford to go spend money on good solid veteran bench players, but these two offer very little upside and zero floors

As far as the no options part for Singleton, so what? Dude is 32, are we gonna send him to AAA for some seasoning?

Stephen66 likes this.
  2. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

Abreu is suspended for the first 2 games so ue can't be on the opening day roster. From what I read, we would be only be able to use 25 players though so that list has 1 too many players

The Beard likes this.
  3. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I'll tell you why I don't have a problem with Singleton starting the season on the MLB roster. 2 weeks in the minors for Loperfido gives you an extra year of team control. As long as Crane refuses to do 8-10 year contracts I'm totally in favor of service time manipulation across the board.

4. The Beard

Right, he is suspended, but still has to be on the roster from my understanding

I'm pretty sure he just accidentally left him off

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

6. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Teams are able to replace suspended players on the active roster

7. The Beard

Would be a good signing as he could help us as a starter now, but has had success out of the pen so if we ever get anywhere close to healthy he would still be a valuable piece

8. JangleJ33

JangleJ33 Member

Hmm. Not bad, not bad.

raining threes likes this.
  9. Rockets12

Rockets12 Member

I don't know the rules, but this is what I was basing my comment on. Is he mistaken?

The Beard likes this.
  10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Hmm. My bad, looks like I’m wrong.

Rockets12 likes this.
  11. Nook

Nook Member

Translation: "Jesus ******* Christ, someone sign me. Guys like me have for the last 20 years gotten 4-6 year deals for lots of money. I expected like 60-70 million when this off season started. Now I am just trying to avoid pitching in the Mexican League."

12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

We'll forgive you.... this time.

:D

Snake Diggit likes this.
  13. IdStrosfan

IdStrosfan Member

If Singleton was a zero floor player he would not have been on the postseason roster last year, while guys like Meyers were left off.

You may think he has a zero floor but clearly the Astros organization does not agree with you.

As for Julks having no role in Singleton making the roster, you may be right but Singleton only plays 1B and Julks only plays LF. That is a terrible situation for a bench so I hope you are wrong.

I think both of them are AAA players who may start the year on the opening day roster, but it would surprise me if either is still on the roster by September.

14. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

Kessinger just got hurt. Limped across home plate while scoring on a hit by Yordan.

raining threes likes this.
  15. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

If we are keeping the seat warm for 2 weeks in anticipation of Loperfido, I’m all for it. But you can still replace Singleton with someone else like Kessinger and then bring in Julks as the other bench bat until those 2 weeks are up. I’m just done with Singleton - he won’t suddenly go on a streak a la Chris Truby

raining threes and The Beard like this.
  16. CisBuds4U

CisBuds4U Member

D’oh!

17. The Beard

We obviously have different definitions of zero floor. Big Jon may be a great dude, i've never met him. And he is a stud at mashing minor league pitching. Dude is not an MLB caliber baseball player though, not in my opinion. Obviously you have a different opinion on him and that's fine

I agree that having both Julks and Singleton on the bench is a poor option, but for me it's because I think that having either of them on the bench is a poor option. Bench OF's who can only play LF need to be good hitters. Julks is a local guy, was a feel good story for a small time, and like Jon he may be a great guy (one of my best friends son played high school baseball with him and said he is a great guy). But he isn't a good MLB caliber baseball player unfortunately

It's funny we are having this discussion because I spent part of the offseason suggesting it would be smart for us to go out and add another multi-positional bench guy to compliment Dubon, someone who could play OF and the CI spots at least in a pinch, and i'm fairly sure you were one of the ones who said it would be a waste of money?

I think it would have been incredibly valuable

Jake Tower and raining threes like this.
  18. The Beard

But, but, but

He had that one multi homer game don't you remember

raining threes and CisBuds4U like this.
  19. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

Meh - someone said they saw Rafael Ramirez around - maybe he can handle Kessie's spot if he is injured.

Raffy has to be 60 - so maybe we should look at Ricky Guttierez or Julio Lugo..... never mind on Lugo - he is more injured that Kessie.

raining threes and J.R. like this.
  20. The Beard

One of my favorite funny memories

Raffy had hit the game winning hit on a ball way out of the zone, dude almost never took a walk. When they were interviewing him after the game the reporter said something about it being a great hit on a ball so far out of the zone, and he asks Raffy why he rarely takes a walk

Ramirez "You can't walk off the Island"

raining threes and Nook like this.