1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

The RESTRICT Act (TikTok ban)

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Andre0087, Mar 29, 2023.

1. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

2. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Tic Toc is now a news site? I have no doubt you and tucker both hate this............................because your boy trump flipped his thoughts after meeting with them and probably getting a little payola for his "flip".................so he was going to do it by himself and then said he would leave it up to Congress, kind of like what's happening now and being pushed by the gop. Personally, I dont really care, but I love the spin commie puts on it with tuckers help.....the hard hitting tuck who loves him some russia

Trump had initially supported efforts to ban the app in the U.S., but he recently reversed his support. Pressed about why he flipped, Trump said he could have banned TikTok during his presidency but left it up to Congress to do so.

“But as you know, I was at the point where I could have gotten it done if I wanted to. I should have said, you guys decide, you make that decision, because there are a lot of people who talk that love it," he said. "There are a lot of young kids on TikTok who will go crazy without it. There are a lot of users.”

Trump then argued that banning TikTok would lead to the growth of Facebook, which he slammed as an “enemy of the people.”

“There’s a lot of good and there’s a lot of bad with TikTok. But the thing I don’t like is that without TikTok, you can make Facebook bigger, and I consider Facebook to be an enemy of the people along with a lot of the media," he said.

3. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

81% jumped ot the same side...whens the last time they ever did? Oh wait thats right aid to ukraine and israel

Don't like ticktok, don't have it...but clearly they have a problem with the news people are getting

trustme likes this.
  4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Could have banned TikTok if he wanted to but left it up to Congress? That's a lie. Trump issued an EO to ban TikTok in 2020. The Court struck it down.

Why did he flip-flop? Look at Jeff Yass's investment in TikTok. Trump always has a huge "for sale" sign up. If he could make a buck sending those young kids to arm conflict, he would.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  5. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The problem is not the dumb content that people love

it’s the data being stored in Chinese servers with all the data that the Chinese government can use
    not how to dance to Korean songs that you can’t sing

but geolocation , habits and patterns

let’s just say I got some enemies who use tik tok and I have access to all their data

I mean it’s easy then breh

@Space Ghost

6. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

I despite China and if it were just to stick it to them I am 100000% on board. China may be the most immoral and human/animal rights violators on the planet that just recently spurred the largest pandemic in modern history

the servers part has been debunked, it’s not China owned…it’s 20% ownership

They didn’t have a problem with the stupid ass dance videos etc, but when people start sharing stories about Gaza and the Israeli govt can’t pressure the company (meta etc) into censorship, they make the claim that “must be sold to a new (minor) ownership of US choosing.

it’s ****ing censorship which by our constitution is the greatest crime

that’s what I have a problem with. Check out Rand Paul’s stance, as wel as Trump’s they are spot on

tinman likes this.
  7. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

8. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Use to do what exactly?

And doesn't ever other social media do the exact same thing?

9. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

if 80% of the most dishonest, worthless and POS human beings that justify their existence roadblocking the other, somehow agree on something like this over such a short period of time its because they're bought and have motivations outside of wanting whats best for the american people

10. tinman

Supporting Member

Jontro likes this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

not Putin/Xi's useful idiot

when orange hair was POTUS, in Dec 2020, he wanted to ban Tik-Tok, but was overuled by U.S. District Judge Carl Nichols in Washington

less than four years later, Just when Republicans and Democrats are in a rare consensus against TikTok, Trump has spoken out against placing restriction on the Chinese app.

why the flip-flop?

billionaire Jeffrey Yass, a major donor to the conservative Club for Growth, holds a 15 percent stake in TikTok’s Chinese parent company ByteDance, and Club for Growth
    has tapped former Trump adviser Kellyanne Conway to push back on Washington’s plan to restrict the app.​

Trump needs another deep-pocker donor to post bond for the >$400+million judgement against him; Jeffrey Yass is rich enough to do that​

#91 adoo, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    Ubiquitin likes this.
  12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

GIkZZrXXIAA77k2.jpg

I'm down with a political compromise unblocking apps in both countries.

#92 Ottomaton, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
    tinman and Ubiquitin like this.
  13. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Cash rules everything around me.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Tik tok doesn’t ban content telling kids how to steal cars
    Or take a bunch of Benadryl

But if you go Daryl Morey..
    @Os Trigonum
    @basso

15. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I only read the first few pages.

They aren't forcing the sale because of content. Tiktok doesn't have to change.

The censorship argument is misguided.

16. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

You’re basing that off of their excuse for doing so “we’re not doing it for censorship reasons”

why would they ever in any conceivable way admit to that reason.

what glen’s video above , it’s pretty clear with statements made by people spear heading this

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Are they forcing tiktok to change or eliminate content?

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

No, but the proposed legislation will ban TikTok (from all app stores) if it remains a Chinese company. China disallows TikTok from being sold. So, effectively, it would be banned.

19. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

Exactly and they have a reason.

Why would they censor tiktok?

20. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I’m not understanding your point. Who is they?

US gov effectively banning TikTok is also effectively suppressing speech through that platform.