1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. shakes05

shakes05 Rookie

Dumb post...we all know Jalen Green is a streaky player. As many good games he put together, a streak of bad performances are destined to follow

2. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

Of course it’s dumb it’s Rocketthechump. When jalen hits threes we are a better team. He hits threes when it is in the context of the offense. We are playing better since the all-star break because Amen, Cam, FVV, Sengun and Green have all been playing well. We would still have won all these games if they hadn’t got hurt as long as Amen was getting run and Green was playing well like he is right now. Can’t wait for next year, when Ime will play Amen, Cam and Tari consistently.

3. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I agree with most of what you're saying. Like I've said, the Rockets need to find answers to those questions....WHICH PLAYER DO WE BUILD AROUND AND WHAT IS GOING TO BE OUR IDENTITY?

All we have to do is look at the Indiana Pacers. They traded Sabonis, found their IDENTITY and took off

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

For one, Alp is better than Sabonis.
    Two, Kings have been better than the Pacers since the trade.

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I doubt they are taking off.....I think they will be Top 5 but I like Banchero and Franz Wagner a lot more and they have to get that All Star caliber Fred VV version....then they have it.

6. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

You realize that the kings are 7th in the west while the pacers are 6th in the east right? Calling that an IDENTITY is WILD, lmao.

albuster, harold bingo and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This recent stretch of winning basketball has coincided with Green’s best play of the year. The team is better when he plays better. Therefore, you could easily correlate the team’s overall lackluster results this season with Green’s awful play prior to the last 9 games or so. We have to get results from that position. If it’s Green, great. But if you can’t get consistency from him, it needs to be someone else. The only thing this month’s games have proven is what a drag on the team Green has been this year.

8. danoman

danoman Contributing Member

Long story short we didn't draft a bust. We don't have to trade anybody.... and if we do we ain't giving them away for cheap.

9. OremLK

OremLK Member

Yep, this. I want Jalen to play well because it's the most straightforward path to us improving our worst position this year. And that sh*tty play has been on Jalen, not anybody else--he's the one jacking up three pointers like he's prime Klay Thompson while being one of the least-efficient three point shooters in the league. That's why his play has sucked and it's the main reason our offense has been bad--it's dragging down his efficiency to terrible levels, hurting our spacing, and wasting shots that could go to better players.

Sengun has nothing to do with Jalen being a bad three point shooter--nothing at all. If you want to criticize his individual defensive contributions, I think there's room for constructive discussion there. If you want to blame him for our bad offense, you're a damn fool.

albuster and danoman like this.
  10. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This is, in fact, something against Sengun.

11. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

No one is downplaying his greatness. It's just that his style of play maybe the problem. It's really a time thing. Like I said in the other thread, if they go on a decent run, that will say a lot.

12. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This may be getting too far ahead of ourselves, but you can't rely on being a transition offense in the playoffs. Those teams always get exposed. That doesn't mean you should avoid it, or that you shouldn't still be good at it. It definitely helps. But there is no point in building a team that cannot execute in the half court. It is by far the most important piece of offense. No matter what direction we go, we must have players that can execute a half court offense.

13. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

Let’s see how the season plays out.

Do I think we’re a better team without Sengun? No way. Not even close.

But that’s not really the question, is it? Sengun would have insane trade value. So the real question is would we be a better team if, say, we trade Sengun and our FRP towards a star. It’s certainly an interesting question, especially if we continue to win with our current lineup. I’m basically in a “wait and see” mode at the moment.

14. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

This true, but also we are missing Alpi our best scorer.

I think the Rockets will look at the stats at the end of the year and see what it all means.

This - a million times this.....we might trade Alpi, we might trade Jalen - it will all be up in the air at that point.

DD

harold bingo likes this.
  15. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Well I say 6'6"-ish to 6'9"-ish as a baseline.

It accepts the bigs that have wing like mobility such as Wemby, Chet, Jabari Smith types.

And at the other end the 6'5" Jalen Green's
    ________:___
    Pacers use a big PG in Haliburton and Myles Turner can move well enough to protect
    the rim and shoot 3's.

Boston uses a big Porzingis who can shoot 3's and two 6'4" guards in Jrue Holiday & Derrick
    White that play bigger than their heights and shoot 3's.

Lineup would be dominant in:
    1) Amen (6'7")
    2) Jalen Green (6'5"-ish)
    3) Cam Whitmore (6'7")
    4) Tari Eason (6'8")
    5) Jabari (6'10")

That's a big athletic team that can run the floor for a ton of fast break points and get after it
    on defense.

**I'm old school that, defense wins championships; but with the league talking about
    adding a 4-point area, there is no way 5 defenders can guard that much
    territory (most of the half court).

Big lug Centers would get you some 2-pointers, but would lose you games as they have a hard time
    rotating to protect the perimeter from 3 and 4 pointers. Drop coverage which protects these big
    heavy centers would be a detriment.

Just the way the game is leaning towards. You know if ratings keep dropping the league
    will adopt things that promote more offense.....not less

#95 ApacheWarrior, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  16. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

some people prefer aau basket to winning. they think it is more fun to watch and they put/imagine themselves in Jalen's place/shoes. that is who they see in themselves. harden, tmac, francis, floyd, lucas, etc. none won but they were fan favorites. what happened with francis.. with lucas.. i feel similar projectory here.

albuster likes this.
  17. wlekfjv923n

wlekfjv923n Member

and here we go. so predictable

18. Os Trigonum

Os Trigonum Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I must have missed the memo . . . where is the league "talking about" this?

19. OremLK

OremLK Member

What star? If the dude is older than age 25 or so and is not a top 10 player it seems utterly pointless. It's not like it makes us title contenders.

Sure, if you can get a true top 10 player, maybe you do it--there's still a real chance Sengun never gets to that level. But are any of those guys actually going to be available this offseason?

20. Houston77

Houston77 COOKIES AND CAKE, MY TEAM BAKED!
    Supporting Member

I have no idea what star, but stars get disgruntled all the time, and a package of Sengun, and top 10 pick, and FVV if needed on an expiring with a team option is an incredibly compelling package. I’m not even sure the Thunder could beat it with their million protected picks.