1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Are the Rockets a better team without Sengun?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rocketchamp, Mar 16, 2024.

1. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

Jalen played maybe his best game on the road against Phoenix, a elite team. Sengun actually had HIS best game against the Spurs, one of the worst teams in the league. What do you mean?

2. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

My point exactly. It's nothing personal, pure basketball opinion

3. maypk

maypk Member

FIFY

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You honestly don’t know basketball if you believe this premise.

HD729 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  5. Sonicbun8

Sonicbun8 Member

Not many people in the league can drop 45/15 on Wemby like Sengun did though.

REEKO_HTOWN likes this.
  6. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

The Spurs suck and are trying to lose games, period

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

So are the wizards but you’re eating that win up. Just say you’re a hypocrite and move on

8. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I can understand why you think like that, surely a player who is wide open should hit their shots.

But its about where he's getting those shots on the court? when he drives how many people are in the lane? how often is he touching the ball?

If you notice, since Alpi has gone out, how many times has Jalen thrown a pocket pass in the lane? Not many because the lanes are more open for him to drive.

Now, he is able to play more free without running sets.

#68 hlmbasketball, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  9. rocketchamp

rocketchamp Member

But Jalen's the worst player on the team? And remember Cleveland, Phoenix Jalen dominated. They aren't the Wizards

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I do not remember that many Playoff series in which players were just running around wild and that was with MDA orchestrating the Phoenix Suns...

You are forced to play half court sets in the Playoffs, that is common knowledge.

You are basically functioning as half of a player and not a whole player if you cannot adapt playing in the Half court.

He is not viewed as a complete player.

This is like Gobert who can be taken out in the Playoffs due to his drop coverage and him unable to guard skilled players that can shoot.....

11. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Think of it like this. No matter how good a player is, if a team is running 90% of its plays through any player, to take that team out of its offense, the opposing coach is going to double the player to try and force them out of their sets.

Alpi is good around the basket but what are the other players doing while he has the ball.....they are standing around! They should be moving and cutting but that's not in their makeup.

Jabari, Tari, Jalen, Cam and Amen are best when they are running and playing a different brand of basketball.

SO, THE QUESTION SHOULD BE, SHOULD THE OFFENSE BE SUITED TO FIT ONE PLAYER OR THE MAJORITY?

Y2JT likes this.
  12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You have never seen me trash Jalen.
    I’ve defended him since the beginning.

Because I’m a Rockets fan. Which is why I’m never going to want to trade our best player, Alp.

AroundTheWorld and Rustyrig like this.
  13. maypk

maypk Member

You do know that two of the three wins the Rockets got without Sengun were against the Spurs and the Wizards, right?

And you also know that the Rockets won 4 of their last 5 before Sengun goes down with the injury as well, right? Including wins against the Suns and the Kings on the road.

14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

Our very own Rockets ran a free flowing offense when James Harden was here. Although at a much more slower pace but there were no sets.

The main difference was Harden was slower than Steve Nash. But the lanes were open for players to drive.

Think of it like this, because we have not been a good 3pt shooting team, the only way to consistently score is driving through the lane. However if the lane is clogged, then those players can not score.

I see one of two things has to happen, Alpi develops a 3pt shot to help spread the court OR have Alpi play more with the 2nd unit where the offense go through him. If we make the Play-In, its going to be interesting

fattz likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I for one have no problem rooting for Alpe on another team and still watching the Rockets...but Green is not the right guy to do it for....

Sengün deserves to be somewhere where he is accepted and revered and not like in here with all those comedians starting threads like he is a goner.

Dude got up and defended like a hero injuring himself in the process.

#75 daywalker02, Mar 17, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 17, 2024
  16. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

To be honest, I don't think we are going to know the answer until next yr, when everyone is healthy.

Right now, we are just guessing. Im just hoping we can make the Play-In and see how we play

17. Y2JT

Y2JT Member

At the moment it is too soon to say. There have not been enough games against good opposition to judge. However yesterday was a great performance against a good team.

What we do know right now is Sengun is our best offensive player. He is excellent and his defensive weaknesses are overblown given our great team record with him. Green is on a good run but he is not near Sengun's level.

The issue is the playstyle. The tempo has clearly shifted for the better. We are embracing a style that is better for more of our young guys while still being great defensively. The question will be 'can sengun fit into and still be all star calibre under this style?'

If he can then amazing. But if he can't then it is not worth sacrificing the games of Cam, Amen, Jabari and Tari (maybe green if this is the new norm and not another false dawn) just to play through Alpi. We could trade Sengun for a great package including a center that fits the styles of the many and the coach.

I think Sengun is great and you could build around him but doing so means getting players that suit his style. I still believe we can do this. Hopefully Green keeps this up for the rest of the season so we can trade him for a better cutter/shooter. Draft Reed Sheppard. Ime has enough time with the others, before extension decisions, to find an offensive scheme as good as our defensive. Next season will be fun!

18. Rokman

Rokman Member

I personally want an all 6'8" - 7'5" team that can swallow the shooters and switch.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  19. fattz

fattz Member

Coaching? Rotations? Healthy players?

Remember that Adams is here, too.

Sengun = Ginobili. Coach’s roots may come into play here. I am one of the few that think bringing Sengun off the bench with starter’s minutes is best way to play him. Facing us will be like playing two different teams at the same time.

peleincubus likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Does not matter, that talk is already out in the open, can't contain the evil when Pandora's box has been opened.

It's Udoka's team for the next few years....I am neutral to that part.

I would prefer if Udoka makes his decision based on what is good for the franchise......and giving young players more leeway that includes Sengün who is younger than a lot of young guys.