1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Amen should never go back to the bench.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 16, 2024.

1. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I like his feel for the game, actually went to the game today. Right not he plays like Ced Ceballos. Shooting can be taught, iq cant. He just needs to work on shooting then range.

2. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Back to Amen, great.

Watch Women soccer, it is not as advanced and slower but also steadily trending.......agree with the sports is hard to track and watching 90 minutes plus 5-8 minutes stoppage time is pretty hard in this generation of watching tik tok videos of 1 or 2 minutes....

And I did not even mention Cup games and Overtime with added 30 minutes.....I probably only watch 45 minutes plus some highlight videos, penalty shootouts.

3. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

I don’t know about that, we’re already one of the worst shooting teams. Top 10 defensive team with our usual starters. We don’t need to start him and he doesn’t need to start.

Right now he’s earning it but playing as a quasi big man. Not getting many assists out of him. Off the bench there are opportunities to shoot poorly sometimes and actually run the offense - he needs room to develop those things.

I think we can be patient with him. There’s literally no reason to rush. We’re not contending next season and he will not be ready to be a star till he has some kind of jumper. Let’s just keep doing what we’ve been doing, ramping up slowly and keeping his confidence high.

We need to lock Sengun, Green and Amen in a practice court with Ben Sullivan this summer. So much riding on these 3 improving their shooting asap. This team has elite potential on both sides of the ball if we can improve those 3 players shooting significantly.

4. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Amen is so smart. He knows if he can hit an open jumper he’s gonna be a superstar. He’s way different than Simmons. Simmons never had a high motor. Amen has a world class motor. I really think he’s gonna be a guy that can develop a shot. Again, all he has to do is be able to keep defenses honest, he doesn’t need to turn into Ray Allen.

He is gonna start the rest of this year, and it wouldn’t surprise me at all if he is the full time starter at some point next year.

5. Bo6

Bo6 Member

Congrats about your son playing ECNL! That is no joke. I'm a USSF licensed youth director of coaching myself hah.

don grahamleone and GOATuve like this.
  6. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

Agreed Amen should remain in the starting lineup, but I see him at the 3 next year if Fred remains on the team (which I hope he does). Hopefully we’ll see more of Amen at the backup point.

I think we’ll make a trade, but right now it looks like we’ve got a logjam brewing at the 3:

Sengun/Adams/Landale
    Bari/Tari
    Amen/Tari/Dillon/Cam/Tate
    ?/Cam
    FVV-Amen

7. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

While I'm fine with Amen starting at the wing, I still think that he should be groomed to be the future starting PG when FVV is gone. He can split his time playing starting SF and backup PG for the time being.

Y2JT, BonziWellsGOAT, saleem and 2 others like this.
  8. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Amen's a great athlete, but asking him to play 48 minutes every night is a bit much. He'll need to be on the bench for at least a few minutes each game.

13 in 33 and BonziWellsGOAT like this.
  9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Amens offensive role right now is exactly what Capela's was lol. He's doing rolls, drop offs, lobs, cuts, and putbacks. He's a zero-range bouncy center offensively.

That's fine, and he's doing a great job, but he can't guard centers at 6'6 210. To keep that role he has to play with stretch 5's. Wake me up when Sengun gets a shot or Jabari gains 40 pounds of muscle.

10. cheke64

cheke64 Member

From the highlights I haven't seen him shoot a jumper. I need to see if they been fixing the low set shot.

It's easy, 90 degrees from elbow to armpit, and 90-110 degrees wrist to shoulder.

bcast89 likes this.
  11. invocux

invocux Member

As much as i like him a lot, if we draft Rob Dillingham he might be in trouble.

12. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Dillingham does not play defense

RocketsTerps likes this.
  13. invocux

invocux Member

He can shoot though and we need one desperately. After Fred's departure, Sengun-Jabari-Tari-Cam-Rob would be a sick lineup. Fully expect Cam to take that defensive leap next year. 2 great defenders, 1 good defender, 1 mediocre defender and 1 bad defender would work.

14. Ancient Moabite

Let me get some insight on that trade involving Green

Who do you want or think is attainable that fits your style (sg)

15. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

I’m not sure who is available, but we can do better than a shooting guard that shoots 31% from 3. I think Jalen could end up having a good career, but I believe in Sengun and Amen more, and I don’t think all 3 are compatible given the shooting limitations.

im grateful Jalen has demonstrated that he’s worth trading for. I just need our GM to do his job and get fair value in a trade return.

leebigez, Y2JT and AroundTheWorld like this.
  16. Nook

Nook Member

Thompson will be a long term starter, and when his shot improves he will be a monster.

Sengun is working on his shooting this summer - he will comeback with a better shot and he will be one of the best offensive big men in basketball.

Jabari does need to gain weight but some of it is his center of gravity.

Y2JT, 13 in 33 and T for 3 like this.
  17. Nook

Nook Member

He tries - and that does matter long term - but I agree with you, he is a poor defender. He is only like 6’0” and doesn’t look like he has a long reach either. He is slight, but could maybe get close to 200 lbs some day.

The issue with him is that if you draft him, you want to make sure he isn’t so bad defensively that he becomes hunted in the playoffs.

robbie380 likes this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I don’t see Amen or Sengun becoming serviceable 3PT shooters as a given, far from it, especially for Amen, although not an impossibility either.

The same way we cleared Clint for Westbrook, I see similarities here. Amen isn’t too far from being a 6’6 Westbrook physically, or skill wise, although their mentalities for the game are extremely different.

When we dumped Clint, we started using WB in a smarter fashion, MDA had him standing off ball under the rim on offense far more often, and WB had one of his better efficiency ratings for his career. For Westbrook to have fitted with Clint, one would have needed to be a reliable 3PT shooter.

I’m hopeful Amen and Sengun fulfill their potential, together, but won’t be surprised if it doesn’t happen.

On Dillingham, looks a lot like Kemba and Aaron Brooks, both great talents offensively in their primes.

19. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I have compared Amen to Westbrook. Westbrook couldn't shoot and still had a "superstar" career simply because of his speed, athleticism, and relentless energy. Amen has all those physical attributes and is bigger. So even if he never develops an outside shot, he can still exceed Westbrook.

The difference between Aman and Westbrook is their mentality. Westbrook has a huge ego and lacks self awareness. He doesn't know his own deficiency and always thinks himself as a hero. He might not have worked to fix his flaws. Amen on the other hand is very grounded and he is very willing to learn. So it is very likely that Amen will improve on his weaknesses at least to a certain extent.

20. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Seems like Amen turned much better when the Rockets started moving him into the dunker spot and had him cut and dive rather than dribbling by himself trying to initiate up top.