1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Something clicking with Jalen Green

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Francis3422, Mar 14, 2024.

1. invocux

invocux Member

Everything is mental with him if you are stanning hard enough. Being a poor decision maker, forcing contested 3s from 30 feet has nothing to do with your mental weakness it's about you not understanding the game of basketball. Him being a terrible 3pt shooter is mental too? Is it mental because once in every 10 games he shoots 4/6 from the perimeter? Is it somehow the indication of him being a kept secret that could be unlocked one day? I see him nothing more than a streaky confidence player. He reminds me of myself and i don't like him for that.

Monkeychef02 likes this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

He dribbles with creativity. Do you understand what tight handles even look like?

A 7fter? WTF are you talking about.

3. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I think it does. Jalen is more of a rhythm and confidence player than anyone I can remember. When he's blowing by every defender, getting to the rim with ease, getting layup after layup with no opposition, and dunking on everyone, that affects his 3 ball. I don't know if anyone can do this analysis but I would bet that his 3 point percentage is 10% higher (or even more?) in games where he's effective around the rim and/or getting to the line, compared to games where he can't even get by his man, or he's getting his shots blocked or missing really tough layups due to good rim defense.

Believe It! likes this.
  4. Ancient Moabite

A hit dog holla

5. MystikArkitect

Jalen Green is consistently inconsistent. Every year he turns it on after the ASB break and we are fooled into thinking we have something. He's still a terrible shooter from deep. Lately he's been nails from inside the arch but going back to the first point....I'm not buying him figuring out anything until he can do it for a full season. This off-season needs a Jalen Green contingency plan. If we got into next season with him as the SG answer we're going to be in for another year of this same ****.

Offseason workout videos -> begins season inefficient -> has a stretch of games where he looks like an All-Star -> has a 2 month stretch where he looks like he wouldn't even be on the Guangdong Golden Dragons -> has a decent stretch again -> All Star Break -> looks like an NBA player and the potential future at shooting guard -> season ends -> offseason workout videos -> begins season inefficient....

No Worries likes this.
  6. Ancient Moabite

I think this pertains to almost every offensive force to come through the NBA ....

Some may use other tricks if they lack the speed, but even the most dominant players struggle against the better team defenses rather at rim or perimeter

But their struggles are balanced by the fact they will still get theirs, just not with the usual all nba efficiency

Green has had good efficiency against playoff/contenders, its just he has struggled with his 3 shot and even midrange for portion of season where you pause for concern

Its why the biggest gripe on both sides has been mainly consistency of good/great vs mediocre/bad Green

Carpe82 likes this.
  7. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I feel this is the first time in a long time that you can say Cam Whitmore or Amen Thompson can fill in for him at the 2 slot.....

You could not say that before because there was nobody more talented or younger there ......who could be more consistent.

It is beyond good to have alternative options.......again.

jim1961 likes this.
  8. Believe It!

Believe It! Member

I agree 100% that he's a rhythm player.

But keep in mind his first bucket last night was a 3.

He was already in rhythm.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  9. Ancient Moabite

With Vucevic as his Batman, watch out now

10. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Green playing better is great for the team no matter the circumstances. If he's turned a corner and contributes to winning that's a big plus. If this is just a late season fluke then it at least boosts his trade value going into the offseason. At no point should we be rooting for him to play poorly unless people are just in their feelings.

11. OremLK

OremLK Member

I wouldn't root against any Rockets player. Well, maybe if he was a terrible human being and I just wanted him off the team ASAP (i.e. if KPJ had stayed on the roster). That doesn't seem to apply to Jalen. Hopefully he'll keep playing well, not just until the end of the season, but on into next season as well if he stays on the team.

12. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

He’s not a positive defender yet but from the time Udoka has started working on him he’s responded well and made a lot of strides. He’s so far behind that trend should continue till he’s a positive defender maybe in a year or two.

Of course his TS% isn’t good enough but that’s exactly what I was saying. Everything but his scoring efficiency has improved, and once that improves he’ll have improved everything. That’s a big step and I don’t think he’s the far away.

Carpe82 likes this.
  13. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Same here. I have nothing against Jalen. He just frustrated me a lot with his play.

jim1961, OremLK and Ancient Moabite like this.
  14. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

I've been saying this for a looooong time. Our players; Jalen, Can, Amen, Jabari, all play better in space.

Sengun is NICE but at some point the Rockets are going to have to make a decision on how they want to play! Thats going to determine their IDENTITY

Carpe82 likes this.
  15. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

LOL taking a win against a horrible Wizards team as confirmation of any such theory is...silly.

We are a better team with Sengun. A MUCH better team.

OremLK and Ancient Moabite like this.
  16. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

He's about to be a first time father. It completely changes your mindset and ambition for most men. Look what happened to Bregman before he had his son, he was playing out of his mind. Hopefully the lightbulb stays on.

17. OremLK

OremLK Member

Well, I hope those of you who still have faith in him are right. The offense looks vastly better when he plays well, and we could really use theoretical-consistently-good-Jalen. I just wish it wasn't such a rare thing.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

19. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

20. glimmertwins

glimmertwins Member

You could say the same thing about Sengun though.