1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Houston offered "several" Nets picks to Brooklyn for Mikal Bridges

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by HealthyHamstring, Jan 31, 2024.

1. j@amc

j@amc Member

Depending on how the Net's pick falls, the Rockets will be in line to snag another strong yet flawed talent. As with the rest of this rebuild, it will likely be a guy others passed on (see Sengun, Jalen, Jabari, Tari, Amen, and Cam). But there are many players in this draft with strong defensive foundations, length, and for a few, scoring/star potential.

Regarding the "backup" question, much hinges on whether Stone thinks Cam's future is as a guard or a wing. He's a wing at the moment, but I think Cam's ultimate future is the 2-guard spot in which he would constantly have a physical advantage. Lots of development is needed, though.

If the Rockets have the good fortune that they could pick a top 2-guard (think: Sheppard, Castle, Walter, or even Dillingham), Stone will have to consider all the options which might include moving Jalen for another asset. And of course, if you really like someone in the upper tier of this draft class, and the Nets pick is good but not great (say it remains at #8), you have to at least consider packaging Green and that pick to move up.

Lots of options. Let's see if Stone does more than take the best player available.

Corrosion likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think I'd keep it and gamble on one of Williams, Sheppard, Risacher, Topic or Salaun.

They all have star potential.

Bridges is just a modern day Ariza, I can't see the combined cost of assets and cap space being worth the cost and when his current contract expires and he wants max $$$.

That's a no.

#522 Corrosion, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
  3. Nook

Nook Member

That picks goes top 4 - and I probably keep it.

I would really have to think about it.... but there are at least 2-3 players in this draft I like more than a 27 year old Bridges.

4. Nook

Nook Member

[​IMG]

"Raff-aye-el is the best General Manager in the game of basketball. His brilliance is only bettered by myself and my younger son who is really the brains behind this operation. I don't believe in that analytical mumbo jumbo, it is witchcraft. I believe in what I see with my own two eyes and what my ego tells me."

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

I agree except I think Bridges is a little better than Ariza was. No way I trade the pick straight up for him if it is Top 4. Well, unless another team really wanted Bridges and was willing to trade a pick that one of Sheppard, Williams, Risacher, or Sarr was available plus other assets.

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

Mikal Bridges is top 50 in the NBA

Jalen Green isn’t even top 100, so he’s got a ton of work to do

Bridges can play elite level defense and hit the three at a good rate, both more valuable than anything Jalen currently brings to the table

this upcoming summer is basically make or break for Green

7. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/in...ous-pelicans-milwaukee-shrinking-margin-error

Bridges has wobbled under the burden of being the No. 1 option. He's averaging 3.8 assists and might be about maxed out as a playmaker. He's shooting a career-worst 50% on 2s. Expending more on offense has dented his defense.

Bridges' time in Brooklyn has revealed him to be the No. 2 or probably even No. 3 option on a great team. That's fine. That is still a supremely valuable player. Even with some slippage, Bridges' numbers are still good: 20.9 points, 4.7 rebounds, 3.8 assists on 44% shooting -- including 36% on 3s.

(And now the obligatory mention of Ben Simmons, who was supposed to be the orchestrator in Brooklyn. It is impossible to overstate how devastating Simmons turning into a zero is for the Nets. The gap between what they gave up for James Harden and what they got back for him is now the Grand Canyon. Simmons underwent surgery Thursday to relieve pain in his back, the Nets said. A return to even 50% of Simmons' peak form feels wildly unlikely, but maybe the basketball gods will provide.)

The Nets surely recognize this. Building "around" Bridges does not mean trying to construct a contender with Bridges as the best player. It means using extra first-round draft picks from the Phoenix Suns, Dallas Mavericks, and Philadelphia 76ers to trade for a superstar who wants to play alongside Bridges.

Right now, Brooklyn is a bad team that does not control its first-round pick until 2028. They boast those extra first-round picks, but if Bridges is off limits in trade talks -- and if he's the superstar lure, he has to be -- then what players does Brooklyn have to grease the wheels? Its rookies are unproven. Nicolas Claxton is an unrestricted free agent. Cameron Johnson's value on a fat long-term contract is in the eye of the beholder.

8. mac_got_this

mac_got_this Member

Bridges is not top 50. Pass the blunt before it’s too late

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

he's definitely in the top 50. a proven 2 way player with good efficiency. and tbh top 50 isn't even that prestige.

especially when there's 30 teams in the league and you might have 1 or 2 players that even fall into that threshold.

Mikal is without a doubt in the latter part of top 50

10. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I think he is the 51st best player in the NBA.

11. Reeko

Reeko Member

he absolutely is

stay off the nose candy

12. YOLO

YOLO Member

too bad he isn't

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

FIFY.

14. OremLK

OremLK Member

I'll just say that if Bridges is in the top 50, he's definitely in the last ten of that group. It's not crazy to think he falls just outside the top 50. Most outlets had him around #30 going into the season, give or take, and he has not done his stock any favors this season with his inconsistent play. The Ringer kinda sucks but they had him at #52 in their latest ranking which just came out. (Most outlets don't update their rankings mid-season.)

For me he is around the level of FVV. Good player to have among your starters if you're a contender, can really improve your starting lineup, but nowhere close to being an offensive engine nor do I think he is an all-defensive level talent at this point in his career (especially when asked to take on a heavier scoring load).

Corrosion and MrButtocks like this.
  15. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

I just adjusted my calculations. He is 52nd now!

16. YOLO

YOLO Member

cool. We need a article asap

17. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

You're welcome sir!

Ranked 52
    10/18
    12/5
    1/10
    2/14
    3/12

Ranked 52
    Mikal Bridges Brooklyn Nets

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    FORWARD
    HEIGHT 6'6"
    WEIGHT 209 lbs
    AGE 27
    SEASON 6

Pitch-perfect supporting talent whose winning ways shine through in any role with any team.
    ANALYSIS
    Now that Bridges has spent more time in a starring role with the Nets, we’re getting a clearer sense of what he’s not. The eye-popping numbers and creative efforts have scaled down some this season; even on a team that’s mostly spinning its wheels, Bridges has been happy to simply do his part while some of his shoot-first teammates hunt for offense. It always felt like Bridges was cutting against the grain of his game to create so much off the dribble last season—a well-intended stretch for a wing who’s at his best swooping in from the second side, layering into sets rather than defining them. But he seems to have met his limit, not just in skill set but in what his admirable self-restraint will even allow.

[​IMG]On-Ball Defense
    [​IMG]Pull-up Threat
    [​IMG]Spacer
    [​IMG]Feel for the Game

SamFisher likes this.
  18. YOLO

YOLO Member

Cool. I can do that too

41. Mikal Bridges, Brooklyn Nets
    [​IMG]

Acquired from the Phoenix Suns in the Kevin Durant trade during last season’s NBA trade deadline, Brooklyn views Bridges as a franchise cornerstone. In fact, the team has pushed back against dealing him for a plethora of picks and young players. For good reason. Since coming over from Phoenix, the wing is averaging 23.2 points while shooting 37% from distance and playing stellar defense. He’s the definition of a three-an-D wing in today’s NBA landscape.

Mikal Bridges

769 votes
    Mikal Bridges has quickly emerged as one of the NBA's premier three-and-D players, consistently finding ways to contribute on both ends of the floor. His impressive shooting ability and lockdown defense make him a valuable piece for any contending team. As he continues to hone his craft, Bridges' place among the league's best role players and up-and-coming stars becomes more solidified.

Your Welcome!

19. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Not valid!

You copy and pasted an article I wrote mine.

Corrosion and YOLO like this.
  20. YOLO

YOLO Member

ok fine. Kudos