1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ClutchFans Game Thread: Rockets @ Spurs 3/12/2024

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Clutch, Mar 11, 2024.

1. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Would've been 40+ with a healthy squad, im talking about you Tari. I wonder what the doubters think of this? @YOLO

albuster likes this.
  2. YOLO

YOLO Member

There's nothing to think of

3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Every team in the league would have a better record if healthy.

fryjol7 likes this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I think you are missing the point entirely. The point is Jabari 's game as of now means he's very dependent on others for his shot attempts not because he gets freezed out because his self creation is limited.

You can't force Jabari to have 20 shots. If the defenses play the Rockets in a manner where the primary creators can get Jabari good clean looks he will get more shots up. For guys like FVV and Jalen, their shot attempts aren't dictates by teammates getting them into their spots.

5. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Ya seriously. He stretches the floor and you can use him as a roll man also. He seems like a ideal pnr screener outside of probably not setting the best screens because he doesn't have the strength yet do set effective screens. In there sense Landale would be a better pnr partner.

6. rpr52121

rpr52121 Sober Fan
    Supporting Member

Agreed he is not perfect yet at setting the screen, but you learn by doing.

Plus with Adams here now, Adams can give pointers now better if there is more recent game tape from which to pull. That would give Jabari more info before the off season where he can work on it.

Not like they are making the play in now with all the injuries. Don't want them to tank, but you have games to experiment with and try things. Plus the offense was already one of the worst in the league, and the team just lost their main offensive linchpin and their microwave scorer off the bench.

If they don't try doing something of these things, then when?

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Having watched him this game a lot of this is on Jabari as well. He just passes the ball a lot and is passive at times. Why Jock gets 8 shots and Jabari only 11? Jalen and FVV are shot happy but they aren't ballhogs. If Jabari was asking for the ball he'd get more shots IMO.

Seems like 11-13 shots is the most Jabari can handle now in a game, anymore he starts passing out the ball when he gets it. Look at the body language of Cam vs Jabari. Cam clearly wants the ball every possession whereas Jabari is a lot more passive and picks his spots. Ideally you want someone in between.

albuster and rpr52121 like this.
  8. albuster

albuster Member

Bari oftentimes hesitates to take the shot even when he has relatively open looks. I think he will learn to just fire away when his defensive opponents are off balance and not ready to contest his shots. Even so, most of the time he can just elevate and shoot. He might want to watch videos of his games and learn. The good news is that he has the right shooting form and the height to routinely get good shots over his opponents guarding him. With a little more experience, he will be difficult to stop.

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

I think maybe his rookie year when he kept shooting blanks got to him and he kinda lost his confidence as a star. Sengun injury opens up shots for him he should take this chance to have a bigger role.

albuster and rpr52121 like this.
  10. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Woah!! I just noticed that Vanvlizzle almost got a triple-dizzle!!!

11. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Dude was letting it stroke in the summer league. He needs that mentality all the time

12. Hemingway

Hemingway Member

He is twenty years old and is playing great defense. Next year he will be at least ten pounds of muscle heavier and become more assertive on the offensive end. When Amen is running the offense his spot up shooting will be an incredible asset.

13. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

I normally see pretty eye to eye with you....but I differ here...I routinely watch him with his hands up begging for the ball when the ball goes inside and he is wide open...however, there is no kick out. So, if that's not ball hogs, we'll call it not sharing the ball or poor court vision to be kinder. He is however more passive than Cam who never met a shot he didn't like.Respectfully, IMO he can handle more than 11-13, he had 18 shots against Atlanta and scored 41 pts. He has shot 15 shots like 4 times with good point production.

Bari is like the 4th scoring option.....whether he's asking for the ball or not. It is just my opinion that the Rockets will never realize his true value and he will not for himself at this rate. Which probably spells trade at some point ...something I would hate as a Rocket fan.3 pt.% is better than Jalen and 2 pts. less than Fred. He has a better overall % than both of them. So, the shots he takes, no matter how limited you feel he is, go in the basket more OVERALL than FVV or Jalen. The truth is that we don't really know what he can do with more shots, because you can almost count on 2 hands the games with 14 or more shots.

Jabari wants to WIN...if that means he gets 10 shots, he's fine with that.. if it's a team win.We all want to win....the question is at what level does he fit in to that happening ? Same for Amen and Cam (get well)...I think it should be more for them as well. I may be wrong on him helping the team with more shots...but, shouldn't we at least see what happens ?

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

I forget how terrible spurs fans are on social media then I realize I feel bad for them because they got one team in that trash city and they still suck

15. roslolian

roslolian Member

I understand where you are coming from but see in a game like last night where even Jock got 8 shots, if Jabari only got 11 the problem is on his side as well.

I agree with you Jabari should honestly be the 2nd option on this team. However he is the 4rth and after tonight part of that is on him as well.

We are missing both Cam and Sengun. Jalen and FVV got 16 shots which isn't that much diff from their normal shot attempts. So that's on Bari already being passive and not looking for his shot.

16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

That is how the NBA usually works unless you are the Lakers and the Celtics.....you have a championship team and then after it you have 5-8 years of nothing.....even with Wemby they would be bad for the next 2-3 years or mediocre.

Without someone like Udoka you are doomed for 2 more years of being bad.

17. AuburnRocket

AuburnRocket Contributing Member

I too would like to see more aggressiveness....however, not sure what he can do to really impact things except become more selfish and instead of passing put up more shots up when he gets the ball in his hands. I think we miss prime opportunities to get outstanding looks when we penetrate inside and don't kick the ball out to our open shooters (not just Bari).I like to see him with 14-15 shots...if he only hits 4 or 5 on a bad night, so be it.....see that from both Jalen and FVV and it's not the end of the world. What ways are you seeing him get more shots besides taking it upon himself to not give the ball up when he gets it ? Do you really think our offense works to try to get him the ball more often, I don't. JMO.