1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] ‘My Memory Is Fine,’ a Defiant Biden Declares After Special Counsel Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 8, 2024.

1. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If the worst you can come up with about the SOtU is that he mixed up “Laken Riley” with “Lincoln Riley” I’m not sure you’re the one to be talking about pathetic copes.

Andre0087 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Strange hearing today. You would have thought Biden's opponent was the subject of Hur's study.

3. Xopher

Xopher Member

Kind of like Trump autographing a picture of a dead woman and misspelling her name? That kind of dementia?

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  4. CrixusTheUndefeatedGaul

Supporting Member

Yeah true dat, similarly like in this place, somehow everything is always about Trump.

5. Xopher

Xopher Member

No wonder you love the guy. He doesn't pay his debts either.

Andre0087 likes this.
  6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Yeah, no. It's obvious that Trump still has his brain intact. Biden is clearly senile and suffers from dementia. Trying to claim Trump also suffers from it is obviously wrong. Polls suggest all but the most hardened libs agree with me.

7. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

"Obvious"? By the fact that he can't spell her name, autographed the picture of a murder victim, and poses for pictures with it smiling gleefully? Is that what makes it obvious?

8. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Some tidbits from the interview that the public might not be aware of:

Biden's post-VP plan was to teach foreign affairs at the University of Pennsylvania (he previously taught constitutional law at the University of Delaware).

Biden has publicly said he didn't run in 2016 because of his son's death, even though his son told him to promise not to stop. I don't think Biden has ever publicly said that Obama thought Clinton had a better chance than Biden (the lack of Obama support, I think, played a part in his decision).

Biden doesn't own stocks.

Biden conducted himself in the interview in the same way he conducts himself in public.

9. adoo

adoo Member

as evidenced by Orange hair confusing
    • Biden w Obama
    • Nikki Haley w Nancy Pelosi

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Trump probably does have very early onset dementia. Biden is still very nimble for his age. He is known to ramble and make mistakes, as was the case in the interview, but still very witty and sharp, cracking jokes often.

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was asking because he claimed it was obvious for Trump. I wanted to know what made it obvious.

12. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You're right, I did leave out Trump. That context is important to what you were saying. I just was taken aback a bit by the idea that a dementia-d President could be acceptable.

To me, Trump's faults are just a given. He's in this thing purely for himself and his brand, and the cult around him is disturbing. No question. Gun to my head and I have to pick Trump or this current, half-dead Biden? I'll take Biden. But I tend to never bring Trump up here just because his issues are so glaring, and because the disposition of this forum is already so anti-Trump that I just take it as a given. What Trump advocates for makes no sense as a conservative, but he presses the right culture war buttons and that wins over many people.

I actually don't know if the decision making process is very rational in the WH currently. I guess it's all relative and compared to the previous admin, this one is more organized, sure.

I also don't buy into the idea that we just have to hold our noses and select someone obviously unfit for office now so we can be rid of Orange Man.

For one reason, with my tinfoil hat firmly affixed on my head, I think we'll keep having exaggerated crises thrown at us to always push for us to just stfu and endorse the existing power structures. It works so I don't see why those in power would ever stop this strategy.

For another reason, I don't think the Trump Legacy/Effect ends after a 2024 loss. Why wouldn't he run in 2028? And even if he dies or can't run for whatever reason, what's to prevent Don Jr from running in 2028? He is also worshipped by the same people who worship his dad, he has less baggage, and obviously he's much younger.

And for another reason, it's just about impossible for me to endorse or say nice things about someone funding a genocide. (Trump would do the same, no doubt. So this isn't a defense of Trump or an argument to vote for Trump. RFK would *probably* also give Israel everything it wants so I couldn't support him either.)

And I guess lastly, I don't view Biden or establishment Democrats as saviors or even nurturers of democracy - assuming that this current system, which has led us directly to this supposed existential crisis, is a democracy worth preserving.

I previously said on here that Biden was the best president of my lifetime. He's been better on labor than most and his admin has been great on antitrust, for example. Pulling out of Afghanistan was the right move and took some balls. But his use of Ukraine made me waffle a bit. Then his wholesale support of Israel has made me retract it altogether. I don't know if I'm a "single-issue" person, but if I am, it's on the large scale murder of innocent people. I'm always opposed to that and would oppose someone who does that even if I agreed with them on every other topic.

dobro1229 likes this.
  13. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

14. basso

basso Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

15. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Just for historical context it’s important to note that because they were incumbent presidents where the party/country/whatever saw it as important to continue the path policy wise, FDR got re-elected while he was stricken with Polio and wheelchair bound, and Ronald Reagan had actual Alzheimers in his second term. It’s not ideal, and not making excuses for the party not forcing him to bow out last year, but historically it’s not unheard of.

I’d also like to point out how significantly it would undercut Biden in terms of foreign policy and dealing with Congress on important Bills. Netanyahu would be asking why he isn’t just dealing with Kamala or Newsom or whomever is the likely nominee. That’s a big part of the equation going on that I don’t see people talking about in the media.

Just food for thought.

Haymitch likes this.
  16. CCorn

CCorn Member

After watching the SOTU and the most recent Trump rally, I understand entirely where Trump fans are coming from.

If I genuinely thought Biden was as lost mentally as Trump is, I would be terrified. But luckily, Biden still seems sharp as can be.

It's unfortunate what Republicans are doing to Trump. He should be in memory care.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

There are plenty of reasons to criticize Biden and the current system that doesn’t mean that the threat of Trump isn’t that serious.

Again this isn’t Talking heads at MSNBC saying that Trump will and has dangerously undermined our constitutional system it’s former members of his Administration.

I’ll keep repeating this, yes our Constitution can be frustrating for people who want to see fast and rapid change. The founders literally intended it that way. Change though can be made through the Constitution by elections, legislative debate, judicial review and etc.. that has kept this country peaceful and stable when compared to other countries. A president who not just says that he will go against the Constitution when it doesn’t suit him is a threat no matter whether you’re a liberal or a
    Conservative.

#297 rocketsjudoka, Mar 14, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2024
    dobro1229 likes this.
  18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Back on topic. Hur did no political favors to Biden and he shouldn’t. Whether he was overly harsh and critical of Biden his job as special counsel is to look at the evidence and law independently. His conclusion was that Biden shouldn’t be prosecuted not just because he is forgetful but because he cooperated with the authorities. That is the main takeaway.

While Hur didn’t investigate Pence it’s also the main reason why few are recommending Pence be prosecuted.

19. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

An example of Democracy working is actually the 2020 election of Joe Biden where this odd coalition of voters in the primary all collectively chose a set policies that a candidate stood for that threaded the needle between that coalition the best of any of the candidates that had strengths in certain areas of policy positions but had too many weaknesses.

So Dem voters voted for policy over persona which should be something that is seen as a strength of our Democracy and constitutional process of elections.

So id just like to wake up the idealists in the middle and on the far left to help them understand that we cannot fall victim to what the right has allow itself to be overtaken with. It’s human nature to be drawn towards Messianic thinking and absolute power based on propagated myth of persona.

Think of Biden and Trump as a set of policies, and the choice is already clear if you care about rational things in your everyday life. Then think about the reality that Trump has no policy positions other than Trump and the decision should be that much more clear.

Bidens policy positions live on past Biden and that’s why the age doesn’t scare me. In 2024 im not voting for Joe Biden the god emperor, I’m voting for the Biden policy platform.

Let’s stop falling victim to the Messianic myth and drop the idealistic view that you need to vote for a perfect Messiah figure that you think aligns with yourself.

rocketsjudoka likes this.