1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[NY Times] ‘My Memory Is Fine,’ a Defiant Biden Declares After Special Counsel Report

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Os Trigonum, Feb 8, 2024.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

The transcript is something where you can squint and see whatever you want to see based on tone of voice, imagined facial expression, etc. Given that the comment was made basically in the middle of what reads as a more lighthearted storytelling moment, there's a way to see the gaff as just that. It's hard to imagine him answering this segment in a very coached witness stand type of response.

Biden has always made gaffs. Even when he was a Senator, and VP. Plus yes... He is old, and that doesn't help.

But the fact is, everyone around him, his doctors, his wife, etc. have all cleared him of having a severe illness like dementia that would keep him from executing the job. However even if he did have severe dementia, I trust Joe Biden and his staff with the nuclear codes, and command of our military all day every day over Donald Trump. Plus, dementia or not, Joe Biden's administration's policies are pretty damn popular, and Democracy stays alive under a Biden 2nd term... Dementia or even just an older somewhat forgetful Joe Biden.

rocketsjudoka and FranchiseBlade like this.
  2. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

You have read it already??? I'm still reading it. It's 258 pg longs but each page has about 50 words, for about 12k words total. Should take ~1-2 hr to read all of it, or ~30min if you are into speed reading.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

They respect democracy so much that they rigged the Democratic primary. Subverting democracy to save democracy. Very much love.

And yes, I'm fully aware that the Repubs also rigged their primary. They suck too.

Didn't a former President, who was morbidly obese at the time, have a doctor that declared him "the healthiest individual ever elected to the presidency"? I was skeptical of that claim and am skeptical of the claim that Biden is all there mentally. In both cases, I'll just go with what I'm seeing and hearing. I don't put a ton of stock into what their doctors say about their health. I'm

And isn't it just a little jarring to type something like "even if he has dementia, I trust him"? That can't feel right. I wouldn't trust someone with dementia to drive my kids to school, much less to hold the most powerful position in the world.

5. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

NYT summarized many parts of it and I've seen pages posted elsewhere. I did not read through the whole document, to be clear. So if at some point in the document he talks about how he was just joking about not remembering intimate details of his life, then I missed it and will need to correct my post. But he does come off as someone the jury might think is just a well-meaning but confused old man.

6. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

So Biden straight up lied about Hur bringing up his son's death. He's a senile, dementia-stricken liar, folks.

7. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I'm still reading it. On his son, the reason it came up is because Hur asked Biden about his book - "Promise me, Dad", which is about his son.

Anyway, I will read it to completion. I'm kind of a nerd with this stuff. If you are interested in how a prosecutor asks questions (and to a sitting president), this is gold. If you are interested in how materials are handled by a VP and POTUS, this is good too. And if you want to know what kind of person Hur is (how he interviews), and Biden is (how he answers), this is good too. I don't think the interviews were meant to be public, at least not during this time... Anyway, I read it and can better answer/respond to some statements on it.

P.S. unless it turns dark later, these were two men being very courteous to each other during the Q&A. And Biden loves to talk.

#267 Amiga, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
    FranchiseBlade and Haymitch like this.
  8. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

9. dobro1229

You are leaving out the part where I said I trust him over Donald Trump. But yes, I do trust the decisions that HIS ADMINISTRATION makes. I do NOT believe they'll him slip into dementia, and start ordering nukes at Canada... you are over blowing what you know is likely a very rational decision making process in the White House currently.

Yes... in a perfect world I would have personally nominated someone with the intellect of Einstein, the charisma of George Clooney, the health of Charles Eugster, the business experience of Warren Buffett, the looks of Natalie Portman, and the governing experience of FDR.

I SERIOUSLY THINK WE NEED TO STOP THIS NOTION THAT A PRESIDENT NEEDS TO BE A MESSIANIC FIGURE PLEASE.

I don't know why you keep forgetting and leaving out that Joe Biden is running against Donald Trump. A guy who is literally running on having "absolute immunity" and being a dictator on day 1... and just because a sitting President who is perfectly decent as a President, isn't exactly who you idealize, you are willing to throw the country into complete chaos????? WTF man.

Yes... lets all just get it over with... yes.. Joe Biden is old. However he's the incumbent president. Incumbent presidents ALWAYS run for re-election. And when they don't... the incumbent party loses. This isn't that hard man. Let's save our Democracy first, and b**** and whine later when we know we'll actually be able to continue governing life as normal in 2026 and 2028.

10. bigtexxx

Y'all, go back and watch videos of Biden from the early 2000s. Or even the 2010s. The guy was actually competent. He was a total racist piece of schit (put the blacks back in chains.....didn't want kids going to school in a racial jungle, etc), but he could think straight and communicate. He's now senile and lost. He was decent at the SOTU because he was amped up on drugs to allow him to read the teleprompter for an hour. But then the next day he reverted to a senile, lost old person.

11. bigtexxx

Strong cope, dobro. You're cool with unelected bureaucrats making decisions over elected officials. You'd fit in well in communist China or Cuba, bud.

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

lol

adoo and FranchiseBlade like this.
  13. dobro1229

Bahaha… welcome back comrade.

14. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Democrats did have the option of voting for Dean Phillips, Marriane Williamson and some others. Republicans could vote for Haley and in IA several other candidates. The fact is that many prominent politicians chose not to run, dropped out, and actual voters chose not to vote for the other options. As much as people like to blame the parties rank and file members of the parties while demanding other choices didn’t support those choices.

Would you trust someone with dementia over someone who is convicted of fraud, settled multiple lawsuits over fraud, had members of his own administration say he was a threat to the Constitution and proved it by trying to overturn a lawfully carried out election?

Andre0087 likes this.
  15. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Biden’s speech writer is really a genius then working in responses to Marjorie Taylor Green’s heckling.

Xopher likes this.
  16. bigtexxx

lol except when Biden tried to counter MTG and then f'd up by saying "Lincoln Riley". The guy has lost it.

17. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Back on subject. From what I’ve seen of the testimony today I think Hur did a good job catching flak from all sides. As stated before while Democrats are angry at him given the scrutiny he’s under he needed to explain his decision fully.

He proved his independence and showed he wasn’t out to do any favors for either side but make a difficult judgement call on whether to pursue prosecution of a sitting President.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

Right and Trump never mixes up names.

But are you saying. That His speech writer meant to write in “Laken Riley” and Biden misread it? That’s quite a speech writer.

19. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

I do like how the biggest gotcha the Right is trotting out about the SOTU is that Biden
    Called Laken Riley “Lincoln Riley”. In the meantime Trump thinks he’s running against Obama and that “Tim Apple” runs against Apple computers.

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  20. bigtexxx

Not even a strong cope. A pathetic cope. You're giving senile Joe the benefit of the doubt. He certainly hasn't earned it.