1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. ac in austin

ac in austin Contributing Member

That isn’t close to the point. Brady took less when he obviously was one of the best quarterbacks in the league. Paying a quarterback is a necessity after their rookie deal is up if they are good. The only point you are proving is Brady is unique.

2. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

All the continued CJ talk about years from now is taking the subject of the current FA off the rails. It's going on and on and on now. No disrespect, but come on man, we've only had him a year. Let's get back on track to FA this week. Who's your favorite left to sign?

3. Qan

Qan Member

Kinda ridiculous CJ's name got drag into whatever the hell you guys are going back and forth about. LMAO

Still hoping for a RB, DT/DE, and S. Draft a CB and WR.

4. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

I havent seen details on the noah brown contract. Anyone know?

5. cbass

cbass Member

Fair question.

1 - I wanted Saquon because he was exciting to imagine in our offense. Beyond that, I was and remain open minded. I assume the Texans have a plan and didn’t just forget that they have capspace, plus there are several good players still on the board, so I’m willing to wait and see before forming a firm opinion. We obviously need a RB now, so I’m interested to see what direction we go there. I’d like Armstead or Hunter, even if they’re older. Would’ve like Queen, but I wonder if the Al-Shaair signing means we’re out on him.

2 - After Caserio said he would be open to changing roles or leaving if that’s what the next coach wanted during the last coaching search, when we hired the hottest coach on the market and gave DeMeco a longer deal than Caserio has, I’d bet DeMeco has more juice than Caserio in the franchise. And I’m all-in with DeMeco. I want DeMeco to get a chance to build his team and defense and I trust that he knows better how to do that than I do. So I’m not gonna get upset while he’s doing that.

3 - I am not ridiculing people expressing (what I consider) reasonable frustrations, that’s fair to do, whether I feel those frustrations or not. But there are many, many posts in this thread that aren’t the slightest bit reasonable. There are multiple posts saying Caserio should be fired, a poster called him a coward, a poster said CJ must want out now, another poster is talking about trade packages for CJ. These posts are self-evidently absurd and deserving of ridicule.

6. raining threes

You try to because you aren't going to win a championship with him eating up so much of the cap.

I suggested trading Watson to the Chargers and picking Herbert for this very reason. It turned out that a trade happened a year later and look where the Texans are vs where they would be had they held onto Watson.

7. cbass

cbass Member

Please stop suggesting we trade our superstar QB who is coming off his rookie season.

Thanks.

8. raining threes

Not talking about trade packages for CJ anytime soon.

9. raining threes

After yr 7.

10. cbass

cbass Member

Still. Stop it.

I reject your assertion that you can’t pay QBs and win the Super Bowl. Mahomes, Stafford, and Brady all make/made big money.

So please, just let us enjoy our good fortune without concocting things to worry about in 6 years.

11. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Just depends on what they do with the rest of the cap. The draft is not something we should totally depend on.

raining threes likes this.
  12. raining threes

Reject away then look at history.

13. raining threes

Adding talented guys can still be done.

Henry, Armstead, Hunter etc....

14. cbass

cbass Member

I literally named all of the QBs besides Nick Foles who have won a Super Bowl recently.

15. raining threes

3 in how many years

16. cbass

cbass Member

You’re moving the goalposts now.

You used history as the evidence for your false assertion and I came up with 3 extremely obvious and recent counter-examples to show how false your assertion is, so you moved the goalposts.

There is no point in continuing this conversation with you. You aren’t swayed by facts if they are opposed to your narrative, which seems to arise from some personal animus you have towards CJ’s agent.

I would just like to ask you one last time to stop talking about trading CJ and making up crap to be worried about 6 years from now.

Jah bless.

17. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

All depends on price. Mixon would be a good 2-yr stop gap at rb. Aaron Jones is a better rb in my opinion but less durable. I think Henry has a couple great years left and would fundamentally change our offense. Very scary for D coordinators to deal with CJ’s passing and Henry’s ability to get tough yds on the ground. None of them are long-term answers but all are worthy of adding at the right price. Barkley would have been ideal.

raining threes likes this.
  18. raining threes

No, I forgot about one guy, no goalposts have been moved and my point stands, regardless of you want to admit it or not.

Basically 3 out of 30 since the cap began. If you like those odds we need to get together and play some poker.

19. CVcrew

CVcrew Contributing Member

Henry had games where he was literally non existent. He did average 4.2 YPC. But the zero yard games scare me. His age is catching him and sometimes it caught him. We need more.

Joe Mixon has had his issues. Doesn’t seem like a DeMeco type, or Texans player IMO. He averaged 4 yards per carry. The lowest of the three.

Aaron Jones averaged 4.6 YPC. The best of the three. Watched them all last year. He still passed the eye test. The other two are just more of the same at best.

#2759 CVcrew, Mar 12, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 12, 2024
  20. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

You know it was a lackluster first day when there isn’t even a separate thread for any of the signings.