1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Free agency

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by sydmill, Nov 17, 2023.

1. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

A coward? Go for a walk, dude.

2. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Looking at our schedule next year... the teams we gotta play... Nick Caserio gon be on that hotseat if he doesn't wake up right now.

raining threes likes this.
  3. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

I find the flexing over fans that are frustrated to be weird. This is a franchise that has never even been to the AFCCG, and they're about to undertake an absolute gauntlet next season. Nobody is saying that the team will be bad, or that Caserio is ****ing up a ready-made roster. However, I think it's perfectly acceptable to be frustrated by the fact that they clearly haven't used their cap space as a negotiating tactic today. I'm not saying go out and splash stupid money at anybody.....but there have been a lot of reasonable deals that were done today for players that would have clearly been an upgrade over what he have/had. Yes, we know that there will be more signings, but the players that flew off the board today were really good, and it would have been nice to have at least gotten one or two of them. It's not like this franchise has a long history of making smart decisions, so fans are naturally going to be a little irritated that the most anticipated FA in team history started off with a wet fart.

4. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

Free agency still can be salvaged but the anticipated hype is gone.. I'd like a combination of Ridley, Queen, and Ekeler or Henry but man please !

5. hlmbasketball

hlmbasketball Member
    Supporting Member

WHATEVER! Either you get him or you don't, either you win or you lose....THE TEXANS LOST

6. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I think he wanted to stay out East and go back home to Penn. the whole time. He just used the Texans to squeeze as much out of the Eagles.

7. J_Hunter_1977

J_Hunter_1977 Member

I'm glad they were competitive. I feel better now.

BamBam and jch1911 like this.
  8. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

9. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Nick set his clock the wrong way over the weekend. It's ok though.

10. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

It's like people mad that we wanted to believe! I don't think anybody started off the morning thinking " Nick ain't gonna do **** today" ... Can't blame folks for feeling discouraged

11. Mashing

Mashing Member

Yeah, I need to clear my head. Caserio has made me rather angry today. I don't like they way he does business in the off season. I just don't want CJ's rookie contract to go to waste.

12. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

Interesting that Caserio is profiligate at using draft capital, but cautious with cap space.

13. Newlin

Newlin Member

Could it be that Nic is just not very impressed with this years crop of free agents? Could it be that Nic feels that next offseason is the time to go big? Has anyone looked forward 12 months to see what could be available?

Maybe Nic doesn’t want to get guys locked into long term contracts that he has doubts about.

Just trying to figure out what Nic is up to.

14. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

15. primtim24

primtim24 Contributing Member

The same cats in here whining about "Nick scared" or "Nick's a coward" or whatever, are the same ones who were probably whining last season when we signed a lot of guys who were considered to be "also-rans". Like man....can we actually "let it go bad" before we start complaining about how bad it is?

Sooty likes this.
  16. Fyreball

Haha that would certainly be something, considering this is widely regarded as the most stacked FA class maybe in NFL history. I'm really not sure what he'd be waiting for considering every single deal he decides to sign in the next few days will have little to no impact on the cap by the time Stroud needs to sign his extension. I'm certainly not condoning what the Raiders did with Wilkins, but something like the Saquon deal with Philly would have had a negligible effect on the team's overall balance sheet over the next 2-3 years.

17. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Nick is overrated and proving that last year was a fluke anyway. Wanted Bryce Young and was willing to trade up for him and only settled for CJ Stroud. The Will Anderson trade was just him swinging for the fences and most likely DeMeco pushed him to do it.

So yeah he gets no credit from me after this disaster of an off-season

18. Cstyle42

Cstyle42 Member

Yeah... tired of the hype of being smarter. Get the players on this team that will help you win now.

tc0330 likes this.
  19. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Maybe Nick is waiting on SD to cut Bosa and Mack. Going to swoop in on these cap cuts.

#chessnotcheckers

For you glass half full guys: as of now the Texans have lost Singletary, Greenard, Cashman and their punter and have only added backups and Autry. Currently we are worse than after the Ravens ass whooping. Yeah I know there is a long way to go but there is also a lot of talent gone too and no guarantee that Nick does anything but keep lowballing guys until he signs his one year deal reclamation projects and hopes they work out again.

20. Fyreball

Outside of last season, what about the last 4 years has been good?? I would say we as fans have done plenty of waiting for it to go bad. And even last season has clearly come at a cost, because all those 1-year "also-ran" deals mean we have about 30 holes to plug. It's not a bullet-proof strategy by any stretch since you basically have to hit 10 singles just to scratch a few runs across the board, and then you enter the next FA period having to do the exact same thing. It's an exhaustive process that is simply not sustainable. You HAVE to be confident in your ability to sign and retain big time players in FA as well as draft competently.