1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Chapter 8: Green Goes Nova

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Mathloom, Mar 11, 2024.

?

Do you believe?

1. Yes

58.4%
  2. No

41.6%
  1. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

2. topfive

topfive CF OG

Note to new CFers: This is what's known as a Jalen compliment in Bobbythegreatistan.

harold bingo and Bobbythegreat like this.
  3. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I was being generous

Strawberry Gum and topfive like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

This makes no sense.

MrButtocks likes this.
  5. harold bingo

harold bingo Udoka Only Fan
    Supporting Member

I've lowered my expectations a lot and at this point I'll be really happy if he's NBA starter material. We're far enough away from the draft that I don't think we need to consider his draft position anymore, we shouldn't base our expectations on that draft position. He doesn't have to be a superstar. If he can become consistent enough that you can legitimately ask "could he start on a contender" and the answer is "yes" then I'll be very very happy.

6. Swapshop

Swapshop Member

News flash, what Green is doing now is an exception to the rule. He will revert back to standard Jalen soon enough.

7. TimDuncanDonaut

What's nova in Spanish?

clos4life and MadMax like this.
  8. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

**** sake! He was playing well so you posted another jinx thread?! CF gonna CF...damn man...o_O

****'s worse than DD liking a player (somebody get some bubblewrap on Cam NOW)

9. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

I’m not gonna search game by game for every player to check statlines unless you pay my hourly rate :) Here are a few from the last couple of seasons though who averaged a lot of points and shots on bad teams.

Dejounte Murray in 2021/22
    Julius Randle that same year
    Russell Westbrook that same year

Keldon Johnson last season
    Kyle Kuzma last season
    Anfernee Simons last season

Even bad teams need guys to take shots. If you’re the guy taking the most of them, you’re gonna score some points…but you’re not winning.

Also…no one here, even his biggest detractors, is gonna argue with you that Jalen is super capable of putting up 4 awesome games in a season. That’s not at all the complaint or the concern with him. It’s that none of it is remotely consistent ever except for the inconsistency.

Having said all that…me saying “even bad teams have guys who can put up numbers that don’t have a lot of scoring options” wasn’t about me matching 4 games from player x on team y to Jalen’s best 4 games. Just that ultimately, even on bad teams, someone is gonna score a lot if they’re given enough shots. This is why efficiency numbers are way more telling than points scored…with the caveat that if you’re on a team with better players, your role may change a whole lot.

#49 MadMax, Mar 11, 2024
    Last edited: Mar 11, 2024
    Corrosion and Nook like this.
  10. T for 3

T for 3 Member

We don't need any more updates on your opinion of Jalen Green, thanks.

11. MadMax

I believe that’s a light chicken gravy

12. topfive

topfive CF OG

I agree... sort of. My problem in assessing Jalen this way is that he has a possibility for a significant downside throughout his career, so his upside has to more than make up for that. If he can't get that upside to be the biggest, most consistent part of his game, then you'll be looking mostly at the downside. While consistency is indeed the key, I'm wondering if we'll ever see a solid all-around game from him.

MadMax likes this.
  13. Ancient Moabite

Breaking News...

''A hit dog holler''

14. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

How many of them were in their second season again, I forget? Incidentally, Dejounte Murray didn't have a single 40pt game in 21/22, never mind one with a 50% fg 40% 3pt efficiency. Green had 4 in his second season, Murray was in his 5th and his highest scoring game evens Jalen's 6th best game in his sophomore season.

Ancient Moabite likes this.
  15. MadMax

I get from your sarcasm that you think I want Jalen to fail. I definitely do not want that. I don’t know you but I’m gonna assume (because I’m old) that I was a Rockets fan before you were born. I sincerely hope he takes off and goes crazy and is a mother ****ing dog.I have my doubts, but God I hope that’s who he is.

Corrosion, Nook and Plowman like this.
  16. peleincubus

peleincubus Member

Yeah no opinions on basketball players. Need more insults and general negativity.

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

17. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You should make a thread based on that take, then make 10 more because your opinion is so important.

18. fchowd0311

Look you aren't going to find that many with the criteria of Green's age simply by the fact that he's like 4th in NBA history in 40 or games before turning 22.

By that alone, no you won't find many players with Green's production at his age.

19. Dobbizzle

Dobbizzle Member

Maybe it's just me, I dunno...But isn't that generally the sign that somebody has something? That's kinda the point I'm making, the dismissive narrative of "anybody given that many shots and a green light would do it" ok, so why didn't they? Is Jalen Green the first young guard to be given the reigns to a team in history?

fchowd0311 likes this.
  20. fchowd0311

It's a flaw in the argument from people who hate Green. Plenty of guards have been given Green's green light at his age especially in the he last 20 years of one and done being the common pattern for lottery picks.