1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Many Chiefs fans who suffered frostbite at bitter cold playoff game need amputations

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Reeko, Mar 7, 2024.

1. Reeko

Reeko Member

The medical director at the Grossman Burn Center at Research Medical Center says 70% of patients referred for frostbite injuries suffered during the bitter cold in January are now being advised to schedule amputations.

Majority of them are Chiefs fans who attended the team’s frigid playoff game.

Burn survivors gathered at Research Medical Center for a second annual reunion Tuesday evening. Jack Daly came to the Grossman Burn Center in July when he recalls the heat index was 110.

“I had a lighter that I light the grill with and I also had an aerosol can of spray paint due to the heat with the grill the lighter exploded and then it ignited the spray can,” Daly said describing the situation that led to second degree burns now mostly healed over 17% of his body.

But the burn center is now dealing with injuries from far different weather conditions.

“People think of burns, they think of fire, they think of hot thermal injuries. But burns can happen from many different causes,” said Dr. Megan Garcia, Grossman Burn Center Medical Director.

Garcia told FOX4 in January she’d already seen dozens of frostbite patients. Many of those were Chiefs fans who attended the playoff game against the Miami Dolphins where it was -4 degrees with a wind chill of -27 degrees at kickoff.

It was the fourth-coldest game in NFL history and coldest in Chiefs franchise history.

HCA Midwest Health shared images of the hand of one fan who took his gloves off for just five minutes in order to put up a tent in the parking lot outside Arrowhead Stadium.

“The patients who had their frostbite injuries along with the Chiefs game, they are just getting to the point now we are starting to discuss their amputations that might be necessary,” Garcia said.

The estimated 30% lucky enough to avoid amputation after undergoing treatment the past few weeks in hyperbaric oxygen tanks will have plenty of reminders of their frostbite injuries.

“It’s still a lifelong process. They’ll have sensitivity and pain for the rest of their lives and always will be more susceptible to frostbite in the future. So we are also educating them to make sure they stay warm for the years and months to come,” Garcia said.

https://fox4kc.com/news/70-of-chief...at-bitter-cold-playoff-game-need-amputations/

2. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

3. SuraGotMadHops

Speaking of Grossman Burn Center, the co-founder, Rebecca Grossman, was just convicted of murder after street racing while under the influence and running over two young boys in a crosswalk (and attempting to drive off, her Mercedes turned off itself after the airbags deployed). Tony Buzbee unsuccessfully defended her.

https://www.latimes.com/california/story/2024-02-23/rebecca-grossman-verdict

Jontro, ElPigto and Andre0087 like this.
  4. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

What. The. ****.

5. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

6. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

Gives meaning to diehard fans that would give a limb to see their team win it all. Good for you Chiefs fans.

7. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I really care about my sports teams, but at -27 wind chill, I can just watch from a TV.

8. droxford

droxford Member

Those football games really do cost an arm and a leg.

9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

NFL games in 2024 = cesspool/Thunderdome vibes.

Fights in the stands.

Grown adults with stupid ass face paint on.

Millionaires jumping in and out of luxury suites without clothes on like apes.

Loud, billion dollar jets (weapons) flying over the stadium for no ****ing good reason.

Long lines.

Shitty Food.

Piss all over the floors.

Minimum 5% of the stadium at any given time should be given a PI.

It's disgusting.

Yall have got to ****ing grow up, man. Classless ****s.

SEC. SEC. SEC.

10. Buck Turgidson

LOL, you act like this stuff hasn't been going on for decades

Blake likes this.
  11. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

That is true. Football games = they take all the worst cliche parts of America and make a hot dog out of it.

Not to mention watching football on TV = you see way more of the action and can actually understand what's going on.

12. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Except possibly for the food (I never eat at Rockets/Texans/Astros games) and the long lines, the Browns playoff game here was nothing like this. I only go see the Texans ~once every 2-3 years.

It was festive, the two fan bases tastefully and loudly clowned each other and the Browns fans were silent walking to their cars. It's too bad the

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  13. Jugdish

Jugdish Member

In Colombia, they make the losing team's scapegoat give up a limb. Now that's fandom.

14. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

unfortunate, but that's the reason why they won the Superbowl. no success without sacrifice.

15. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

link?

16. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

I'm trying to picture that.
    [​IMG]

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  17. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I came for the frostbite but **** that’s a terrible story.

ROCKSS likes this.
  18. Xerobull

Good. Can she take Buzbee with her?

SuraGotMadHops likes this.
  19. Xerobull

I was actually at this game.

Dropped some of my most bussin' W lines on Taylor.

...she gave me the cold shoulder

ROCKSS likes this.
  20. ROCKSS

ROCKSS Contributing Member

Holy Moly, that is crazy!! You would never get me out there for a cold game like that